Reports and safe function

Hello TDM community,

when you start a Report (HTML for example) on a already saved model, you need to safe it again. not sure if that is a wanted behavior to safe the report format. But even you do no changes in the report, you still need to safe it.

IKrischer

Hello Ilja,

To save the report format (all settings defined in the Report Wizard), it is necessary to save the model too.
However, once you save it and open the model and generate the report again, the settings should be preset just as you saved them before.

Reports are generated to the location that is defined in Settings | Options | Paths | Reports. Once you generate the report, it should be there, no matter if you make changes in the model and save them or don’t save them.
In other words, reports are saved on the disk just when you generate them. It doesn’t matter if you save your model or not.
But settings in Report Wizard are saved only together with the saved model.

I hope this info will help.

Regards,

Vladka

Hello Vladka,

I understand the report settings need to be saved, but that was not my issue. Why do I have to safe the model, when I change nothing in the report settings, just execute it again. That would be the same as I open a model, change nothing, generate the DDL scripts and need to save the model after it.

IKrischer

Message was edited by: Ilja

Hello Ilja,

As I wrote, the report is saved while you generate it. It has nothing to do with your model save.
So, you don’t have to save the model when you change nothing in the Report Wizard and just generate it. The report is generated and saved automatically to the specified location (Settings, Options, Paths, Report). I perfectly agree with your opinion. This is also how TDM works.

Regards,

Vladka

Hello Vladka,

“So, you don’t have to save the model when you change nothing in the Report Wizard and just generate it.”

dont know if it is only for me, but if I do that, changing nothing in the report wizard and just generate the report again, my “save model” button pops up. Or is there any other way to generate the report again ?

IKrischer

Hello Ilja,

My deep apology. Save model button really pops up. I had to check with our developers. Here’s their explanation:
After the report is generated, it is saved to the location defined in Options, Paths, Report. However, at the same time the settings in the Report Wizard (although you didn’t change them) are identified by TDM and TDM considers it as a change in model. In other words, TDM doesn’t check whether the report settings are the same or different. TDM always asks if you want to save them with the model or not. If you didn’t change them, TDM saves the same report settings with the model (although in fact the same settings were already saved on the disk before). This process consists of two steps - TDM deletes the previous report settings and saves the new settings.
It is a similar behavior to MS Word. You open a doc, delete a word and write the same word (generate report in TDM) and Word asks you if you want to save the change.

So, you’re right. TDM will always ask you if you want to save the model after you generate the report.

Let me apologize again. I was wrong about how TDM behaves.

Regards,

Vladka

Hello Vladka,

no need to apologize, you are doing a great job. But more interesting would be, if the developers told you they will change that behaviour, so you dont need to safe the model again. Or even better add a new button, where you dont even need to go through the report wizard. let me give you more infos, why this would be nice.

Right now we are working on a new project with three mssql databases, they all belong to the same project. since the report folder is the same for all three (path in the options) and the databaes are still changing a lot (the project is still young and so I cannot use old reports), I have to create the report a lot of times. All the times I have to do the hole report wizard process, even I dont want to change anything. And on top of it, I need to safe the model. that is UGLY

so a new button, create report without the report wizard, without the need to safe the model after it, that would make my world better and I think the TDM world as well…

IKrischer

Hello Ilja,

Or even better add a new button, where you dont even need to go through the report wizard. let me give you more infos, why this would be nice.

Yes, it would be nice. We will see what we can do about it. CR 77 922.

Thanks!

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team