Toad World® Forums

Reversing Engineering: Error - Access violation

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on the community, so my apologies if the answer was provided at another time. I need to explore the community to becomemore familiar with looking for and get answers.

Thank you.

voxsandro.

Using Reversing Engineering:

Database target: Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.760 (Intel X86) Dec17 2002 14:22:05 Copyright © 1988-2003 MicrosoftCorporation Developer Edition on WindowsNT 5.1 (Build 2600: )

Following the prompts at Wizard:

Type of Connection: Database connection via ADO: RE MS SQL Server 2000

:: Connection:

Connection String: [Data Link property] : Use ConnectionString: [Build…]

Data Link Properties : Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQLServer : [Next >>]

Selected the server name using Windows NT Authentication :Test Connection : Test Connection succeeded

Result = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;IntegratedSecurity=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=ADMIN

Options:

Items have been checked from Load filegroup for tables… to LoadDescription for tables…

[Next]

Error

Error - Access violation at address 0225B551. Write ofaddress 00000000

OK

Are there some additional instruction or better database link configuration?

Hello,

This is my first post on the community, so my apologies if the answer was provided at another time. I need to explore the community to becomemore familiar with looking for and get answers.

No problem. Welcome to the community!

To the RE problem: We’ve verified the RE SQL Server 2000 via ADO and it works for us. Let me ask you the following questions:

• What operating system do you use? Let me note that only Windows 2000, 2003 and XP are supported.
  • Are you successful to get the error when you do the RE again? (In other words, does the problem repeat?)
  • Could you please verify if SQL script generation works for you?

Thanks for the details.

Regards,

Vladka

Hi, Vladka

Thanks for reply so quickly.

About information:

Computer: Pentium III – RAM: 512

Actually I have removed it and installed again. The same problemstill happens.

Well, starting again (Reverse Eng.):

First strange thing is: Type of connection: on the firstdrop-down-list a just can understand ODBC and ADO…I have no idea what is writing before that. But, Description field is inEnglish.

Going ahead: same problem:

Error - Access violation at address 0174E9D1. Write ofaddress 00000000

On the Log grid: Message (1 line only): Connecting todatabase.

On the Script Explorer:

I had a look in Reverse Engineering. The script is there.

I also have tried to create a table and try to generate itinto existing database.

File > New Model > Physical Data Model > MS SQLServer 2000

Entity 1 > Edit…

I put NAME in General TAB > I change to Attributes TAB>

Click on ADD > a new line on the grid is created. I pressF2 to edit field NAME: Change DataType.

Click on ADD > a new line is created. At this pointinstance to press F2 I use mouse double click. A confirm dialog appears if Iwant to confirm changes before to proceed. I click YES.

When the Attribute Properties window opens the following errorappear as well.

Error - Access violation at address 057FC769. Write ofaddress 00000000

I checked SQL Preview TAB as well. It is empty, but Iclicked on icon right down side and the follow message appears:

Error

Source: CS3 - Internal error

Script: PERCodeGeneratorMS2k

Description: Access violation at address 00000000. Read ofaddress 00000000

Row: 701

Column: 5

Callstack:

PERCodeGeneratorMS2k

OK

I think I am missing some thing on installation process. DoI need to install from Command Line Prompt using some parameter? Do I need torun some component update for windows?

Maybe should I send to you screen shots step by step to makethis explanation clearly?

Thanks Vladka.

Regards

Sandro - voxsandro.

Hello Sandro,

Thanks for the detailed description. We’ve gone through all this, however failed to simulate the problem.
Nevertheless, we have several tips for you. I do hope we will find the root of the problem.

1. Please try to delete Packages and Configs directories. Possible path:
    C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Toad Data Modeler\Packages
    C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Quest Software\Toad Data Modeler

And reinstall Beta again.

This might help.

1. The problem can be caused by your antivir program. If you use any, could you please try to turn if off? It might help.
    (However, sometimes it doesn’t help either. Some of our users have reported us that they had to create a virtual PC or install BETA on another computer without the antivir program. - In any case, we know about this problem and will deal with it.) Please see:
    http://modeling.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8970&tstart=0#8970

2. Question - does the problem occur if you work with or RE another db?

Please let us know the result.
Thanks.

Vladka & TDM Team

Hello Vladka,

I have followed the steps, but now it is worst. Before I was not using antivirus, now I have installed Avast. After the program has launched it closes automatically. This is my work computer, so I fill not comfortable to make changes on it, but I am wondering if is possible to install it on Windows Vista. So I will try that on my computer.

Thanks so far, and I will return with some news.

Sandro.

Hello Sandro,

O.K. We’ll wait for the news.

However, let me note that Windows Vista is not supported for now (but will be).
At the moment, only Windows 2000, 2003 and XP are supported…

Vladka