Save as option

Hi,
SQL Optimizer 9.1 x64. here are steps that I do … want to have two scenarios of the same query.

1. Create new tuning session
  2. generate rewrites
  3. run tuning with some binds
  4. save results under name “x” (only “Save session” icon is possible to choose)
  5. change something (the way of optimizer runs or bind variables)
  6. Want to save under different name…
  7. press save, change name to “y” (only “Save session” icon is possible to choose)
  8. Old “x” is gone!
    Why? And how to perform “Save As”? I need tio have “x” and “y” saved.
    Pls forgive me if I miss something.

brg
Damir

Hi Damir,

There is no Save As function in SQL Optimizer. As you described it, the Save function allow you to change the name of the saved session but it will not create another session for you.

Could you please explain the reason why you want to have 2 sessions of the same query optimized? If we can better understand your need, we may make an enhancement of it.

Thanks,

Alex

As i wrote:

change something the way of optimizer runs (for all proposed sql variations). Once with and once without flush buffer cache and then compare values … many many reasons. And one also very obvious, different connections/different databases or to compare same results three month later to see the results now… hope this is enough …
P.S.
Why do I have to have any reason to “save as” option? Please would you be so kind and explain this to me why not?
:slight_smile:

Hi Damir,

Thank you for the feedbacks. I appreciate your effort to provide extra information to help me understand your need. Please take my question about why having the “save as” option as an intention to better enhance the product to serve you. I believe that the more we understand the requests the better we can serve our customers.

And based on your explanations to have the “save as” option, it seems like that you primarily would like to perform additional test run without overriding the existing test run results so that you can compare them. I am thinking that having a replicated session can help you persist the previous test run results but it may not be easy to compare them. And it is also not easy for you to relate them to each other when you have multiple sessions saved for different SQL. I have an idea that we can keep the test run results in a session like a snapshot and allow users to create another test run without losing this snapshot. If we provide this, you don’t have to maintain multiple sessions; each session for a SQL and its variations can have as many snapshots of test run results as you want. This also would make comparing much easier. Do you think this will help you achieve what you want to do? Or am I totally on the wrong track? Please advise.

Thanks,

Alex

p.s. I don’t have a reason why not to have the “save as” option. :smiley:

Hi Alex,

Frankly do not know how you should implement “snapshot” based solution.

Please keep in mind that I would like to run the same queries and compare them. How will I compare them … Easy export to Excel and compare several lines…

I really do not understand why is “save as”, option that exists in 99.99% Windows applications now so big problem.

Brg,

Damir Vadas
Senior Oracle and Toad consultant
Lanište 13
10020 Zagreb, HR
Mob: +385 91 6140 548

damir@vadas.hr
http://www.vadas.hr

IZJAVA O ODRICANJU ODGOVORNOSTI: Ova elektronička poruka je povjerljiva i može sadržavati povlaštene informacije. Ako niste naznačeni primatelj, niste ovlašteni čitati, printati, pohraniti, obrađivati ili priopćavati ovu poruku. Ako ste ovu poruku primili greškom, molimo Vas da o tome odmah obavijestite pošiljatelja i izbrišete ovu poruku, njene privitke i kopije. Vadas savjetovanje d.o.o. ne preuzima nikakvu odgovornost s obzirom na bilo koju moguću netočnost bilo kojeg podatka koji je sadržan u ovoj poruci ako takav podatak nije povezan s registriranim predmetom poslovanja Vadas savjetovanje d.o.o. .

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and may also contain privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, save, process or disclose this message. If you have received this message by mistake, please inform the sender immediately and delete this e-mail, its attachments and any copies. Vadas savjetovanje d.o.o. does not take any responsibility with regards to any possible inaccuracy of any data contained in this e-mail if such data do not relate to the registered operations of Vadas savjetovanje d.o.o. .

P ** Razmislite o čuvanju okoliša prije nego odštampate ovaj e-mail**
Please consider the environment before printing this email

Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:53 AM
To: sqloptoracle@toadworld.com
Subject: RE: [SQL Optimizer for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Save as option

RE: Save as option

Reply by Alex Luk

Hi Damir,

Thank you for the feedbacks. I appreciate your effort to provide extra information to help me understand your need. Please take my question about why having the “save as” option as an intention to better enhance the product to serve you. I believe that the more we understand the requests the better we can serve our customers.

And based on your explanations to have the “save as” option, it seems like that you primarily would like to perform additional test run without overriding the existing test run results so that you can compare them. I am thinking that having a replicated session can help you persist the previous test run results but it may not be easy to compare them. And it is also not easy for you to relate them to each other when you have multiple sessions saved for different SQL. I have an idea that we can keep the test run results in a session like a snapshot and allow users to create another test run without losing this snapshot. If we provide this, you don’t have to maintain multiple sessions; each session for a SQL and its variations can have as many snapshots of test run results as you want. This also would make comparing much easier. Do you think this will help you achieve what you want to do? Or am I totally on the wrong track? Please advise.

Thanks,

Alex

p.s. I don’t have a reason why not to have the “save as” option. :smiley:

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.
Or Unsubscribe from SQL Optimizer for Oracle - General notifications altogether.
SQL Optimizer for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Hi Damir,

Thank you again for the feedback. We will definitely consider your suggestion including the “save as”.

Thanks,

Alex