Toad World® Forums

Save crash after RE of awfully huge MS 2005 database :(


#1

Hello again :slight_smile:

I did RE on huge MSSQL 2005 database, and while trying to save I encountered:

Exception:

2.1 Date : Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:11:53 +0200
2.2 Address : 0069C9DB
2.3 Module Name : TDM.exe - (ERD Designer)
2.4 Module Version: 3.3.3.3
2.5 Type : EOleException
2.6 Message : Nieprawidłowe dane dla węzła typu ‘CDATA’.
2.7 ID : 6FF8
2.8 Count : 1
2.9 Status : New
2.10 Note :

Since the error message is in Polish (which means “wrong data for ‘CDATA’ node”) it may come from OS (since it is Lenovo Win XP Prof SP3 PL) or some OS component that is used by TDM. I have the whole exception report from TDM - see attachement. Problem on 3.3.3.3 as well as on commercial.
att1.html (2.19 KB)


#2

Hello Michael,

We haven’t encountered such a problem yet. We’ve also failed to simulate it.
In any case, model in TDM is saved to XML format. During the save, content of a few values is saved to CDATA section. One of the values is e.g. SQL code of Views, Triggers etc. It seems some of the values in your model contain SQL characters that Microsoft DOM can’t work with and therefore crashes.

To find out where the problem is, please do the reverse engineering of the model again and generate SQL code (F9). Please send us the generated SQL to modeling@quest.com.
Note: We know it can happen that we will not see all characters as some might lose during the generation. Nevertheless, at the moment it is the fastest and easiest way we can try to find out the cause of the problem.
If it does not help us, we will try to think of some other option, unfortunately, more time demanding.

If you cannot send us the script of your model, you may try to do the reverse engineering part after part - reverse entities, then reverse views, reverse triggers etc. This way you will find out where the problem is.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team


#3

Since it will take some time to figure if this database is classified or confidential, I did RE part-by-part and found one TSQL procedure responsible for save crash. There is some xml in code… this may be the case…
SQL code in attachement.
procKiller.txt (1.85 KB)


#4

Hi Michal,

Thanks for your reply. We have found out that the problem is in content of View where is written .

As the content of SQL is saved as CDATA, it is impossible to have another CDATA tag in XML. Immersed CDATA commands are not allowed.

Temporary solution: Remove CDATA expression from SQL.
Fix: We will code invalid CDATA nodes via 64Base encoding algorithm - CR # 54 442.
Thanks for your patience!

Regards,

Vladka


#5

Hi Michal,

Just a quick note to let you know that CR # 54 442 has been fixed. The fix will be available in next version (full and beta).

Thanks!

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team


#6

Great :slight_smile:

M.