Toad World® Forums

Some other suggestions for TDM3

I just downloaded the last TDM3’s beta and I found that some of the sugestions I (and other users) gave have been implemented. This is what I call a great customers care.

Hoping to be useful, this is a list of some other suggestions.

• Overview (View/Overview) cannot be docked

• Overview (View/Overview) is not synchronized with the current model: let’s suppose you’re working on a model A and you open the Overview for that model. After that, you start working on another model B: the Overview panel still shows the model A (which is quite useless, because it shows a thumbnail of something that is not on the screen anymore: even clicking on that Overview, dragging the zoom pane and so on nothing happens, because the corresponding model is not active). If you want an overview of the model B you have to select again View/Overview. That is uncofortable, because now you have two Overview panels, one (useful) for the active model B and one (useless) for the model A.

My suggestion: just use ONE overview pane, showing the overview for the currently active model.

• Model verification: double clicking on an error, it could open the entity with errors

• Database not copied: When you copy an entity, General/Database field is not copied

• Page scroll - TDM3 does a strange use of scroll bars. The wide accepted Windows, Mac and Linux standard is that clicking on the space between the scroll arrows and the solid bar you obtain a page scroll, while clicking on the scroll arrows you have a single step scroll. Well, in Workspace window, TDM3 does a single step scroll with both the operations. My suggestion is: adopt the Window’s standard, single step scroll with scroll arrows, page scroll clicking in the empty space of the scroll bar.

• Deleting entities: when you press “canc” and you have an entity selected, a sort of confirmation alert appears, asking if you want to delete the entity from the workspace or if you also want to delete it physically. There’s a shortcut for the latter option, SHIFT-Canc, which you can use to delete physically the entity. I think in that case a confirmation alert should be useful (actually, I’m not that sure about this suggestion: even without any alerts, you can use ctrl-z in any case).

• Enhanced zoom: TDMBeta3’s CTRL+mouse wheel to zoom in/out is a great idea. Nevertheless, I still think that the old zoom tool too should be improved. I still believe that the two toolbar buttons “Zoom in” and “Zoom out” should work in a different way. (I cannot use the mouse wheel, because I installed TDM3 on a laptop and the emulated mouse wheel seems not working on TDM3). At the moment, if you want to zoomin, you have to

1. Click on zoom-in button
  2. Move to workspace and click once
  3. Move again to toolbar and click on the tool you were using (you have to remember it)

3 clicks and mouse movemements just for a zoom-in.

My first suggestion is the have an “instant” zoom-in button: just click on it to zoom-in, then you can go on working.
I think that this behaviour is ok for “Zoom box” button, but really useless for the other two, “Zoom in” and “Zoom out”
My second suggestion is: also add the quasi-standard shortcuts (like in Firefox); ctrl + and ctrl - to zoom-in and zoom-out

• DDL scripts for database updates: My most desired feature would be the ability to compare a database A and a database B obtaining not just an HTML report, but the SQL script to be executed against the database A to make it exactly like the database B. Let’s say, for example, I designed a model with TDM3, I used “Generate DDL script” and executed the resulting script against a db client. Doing that, I have a model on TDM3 and the exact coresponding database running on my RDBMS. I can even populate this last. Now, let’s suppose I alter my model using TDM3, adding the attribute “name char(10)” to the entity “customers”, converting the attribute “secondname” in the entity “friends” from “char(5)” to “char(20)” and so on. What I’d really like would be a tool similar to “Model compare” or “Model merge”, able to compare the modified model and the database on my RDBMS (or a corresponing model, obtained with Reverse Engineering) and able to produce

ALTER TABLE customers
ADD COLUMN name char(20);
ALTER TABLE friends ALTER secondname TYPE char(20);

I understand that not every script could be executed (you won’t be able to convert the type of a populated field from text to float without a runtime RDBMS’s error, for example), but I do think there would be a lot of opportunities to use this tool. I also understand this is a really huge request. Let’s say it would be my dream.

And, of course, thank you again.

Arialdo Martini

Hello Arialdo,

Thanks very much for your feedback on our latest Beta. :slight_smile:
Let me reply and have some comments.

1. Dock Overview and Synchronize Overview
    Let me explain that an overview relates to particular workspace only. Similarly, Model Explorer relates to particular model and can be docked only to the particular model. (When you click between models, Model Explorer is not synchronized either.)
    So, the overview could be docked only to particular workspace. The question is if it is worth docking it in this case. What do you think of it? Thanks in advance for your opinion.

2. Model Verification: double clicking on an error, it could open the entity (object) with errors.
    Yes, this would be great. We will try to implement this, however it’ll take some time (it’s very time-consuming). In any case, number of this CR is 48 772.

3. Database Name is not copied when you copy an entity. (MySQL db)
    Thanks for your notification! We will deal with it. CR # 48 773.

4. Page Scroll

adopt the Window’s standard, single step scroll with scroll arrows, page scroll clicking in the empty space of the scroll bar.

We will have a look at it and will try to fix it. Thanks! CR # 48 775.

1. Deleting Entities
    Yes, it behaves as you describe. The pop up dialog has been implemented as many users used Delete and thought they deleted the entity physically (from model). This dialog should draw their attention to different delete options in TDM.
    If the dialog annoys you, you can set up default deletion option in the Settings menu | Options | Dialog Boxes | tab Other.
    As you write, if you delete an object physically by mistake, you can use Undo. We do not think another confirmation dialog is necessary here.
    In any case, thanks for raising this issue.

2. Enhanced Zoom
    Yes, we can uderstand.
    CTRL + and CTRL - to zoom in and zoom out. - Thanks for your suggestion! CR # 48 776. It should help you.

Another suggestion (although very limited): you can use shortcuts of objects (CTR+E for entity and CTRL+R for ident. relationship):

1. Click the Zoom in button

2. Move to workspace and click to zoom in.

3. Do not move to toolbar to add e.g. another entity but press CTRL+E and click where you like to add the entity.

4. Alter scripts
    At the moment alter script generation is supported only for Oracle database (see the Convertor dialog, first icons next to the merge icons for Model1 and Model2). We plan to add alter script support also for other databases, we will add it gradually. Next database will be Oracle 11g db, other db has not been determined yet. In next weeks, a survey should be published in our community. You will have a chance to vote for your db.
    When the survey is out, announcement will be posted in the forum. So, please drop by.

Arialdo, thanks very much for your time to check out the latest Beta and for sharing your ideas with us. Please keep posting.

Have a nice day.

Vladka + TDM Team

1. The question is if it is worthdocking it in this case. What do you think of
    it? Thanks in advance foryour opinion.

Docking is not that important, IMHO. I think a synchronized Overview could be useful, indeed.

Sorry if I’m using a competitor software for this example: what I’d find very useful could be something like the Overview tool implemented on DbDesigner

http://www.bebox.it/public/toad/Overview.swf.html
http://www.bebox.it/public/toad/Overview.swf

1. Model Verification: double clicking on an error, it could open the entity
    (object) with errors.
    Yes,this would be great. We will try to implement this, however it’ll take
    some time (it’s very time-consuming).

Yes, I can understand. Whenever I’ll work for Toad I’ll help you coding, it’s my job :wink:

1. Deleting Entities

I agree. Undo is enough, another alert could be annoying.

1. Alter scripts
    Atthe moment alter script generation is supported only for Oracle

“Alter script”, that’s the name! Then, it was already (partially) implemented: great, TDM rocks.

Arialdo, thanks very much for your time to check out the latest Beta and
for sharing your ideas with us. Please keep posting.

Vladka + TDM Team

Thank you.

PS. The zoom system in Overview is amazing, much much better than using the scrollbar, like in dbdesigner. Never change it! :wink:

:slight_smile:

Overview - Synchronization:
O.K. We will seee what we can do about it. :slight_smile: CR # 48 784.

Thanks.

Vladka