Toad World® Forums

Some questions /enhancement requests for GUI, command line parameters etc.

Hello!

I just got started with QuestCodeTester, and I’ve got some enhancement requests (If these features are already present, please tell me where to find them :slight_smile: :

• automatically select the correct schema when starting with /s command line argument (if multiple schemata are referenced in the suite: take the first one)
  • make test-builder non-modal, so you don’t have to close test-builder when running your tests
  • allow hierarchical structuring of test suites, e.g.
    All programs
    Schema1
    Schema1Test1
    Schema2
    Schema2Test1
  • automatically extract the structure of a PL/SQL record (defined in the same package as the procedure to test); as it is now, it’s very cumbersome
    (either you have to define a query, define a dummy table or view, or you have to add all fields manually)
  • stop test builder from automatically reformatting the Expected/Got queries; I prefer having one field per line, and no line breaks in hard-coded string constants

Thanks in advance & kind regards
Frank

Hello Frank,

Thanks for all your input and ideas. I would love to hear what you think of the tool overall. How useful is it to you? My responses below in green.

• automatically select the correct schema when starting with /scommand line argument (if multiple schemata are referenced in thesuite: take the first one)

When you say “select the correct schema”, I am not sure what you mean. The schema in which to connect to Oracle?

• make test-builder non-modal, so you don’t have to close test-builder when running your tests

Yes, this has been requested. It is on our list…and to be clear, are you mostly wanting to be able to run, see results, and go right back into TB to do more changes?
Is there anything else you want to do while TB is still open? I am not sure if we can/will do this soon, but we have made it easier to go immediately back into TB from the Viewer.

• allow hierarchical structuring of test suites, e.g.
    All programs
    Schema1
    Schema1Test1
    Schema2
    Schema2Test1

Do you mean you want to be able to create suites within suites?

• automatically extract the structure of a PL/SQL record (definedin the same package as the procedure to test); as it is now, it’s verycumbersome (either you have to define a query, define a dummy table or view, or you have to add all fields manually)

Yes, it is very tiresome. On our list!

• stop test builder from automatically reformatting theExpected/Got queries; I prefer having one field per line, and no linebreaks in hard-coded string constants

You cannot do this right now, it is true. So…can you tell me as specifically as possible in which windows you want to disable formatting? Is it only query boxes or have you run across other places?

Many thanks, SF

Hi,

Regarding the automatic formatting issue, until we add the option to disable this, you can adjust your formatting preferences in the Tools | Formatting Options… dialog. Perhaps this will help some.

Kind Regards,
Greg

Hello Steven,

thanks for the quick answer. Overall, I quite like the tool - unit testing PL/SQL code could become much easier with it.

Responses to your responses below in blue.

• automatically select the correct schema when starting with /scommandline argument (if multiple schemata are referenced in thesuite: takethe first one)

When you say “select the correct schema”, I am not sure what you mean. The schema in which to connect to Oracle?

No. I have a separate schema MyTestSchema for my unit tests - the packages I want to test reside in our production schemata. But when I launch QuestCodeTester with /s MyTestSuite and MyTestSuite only contains tests for packages in MyProductionSchema, QuestCodeTester still shows MyTestSchema in the schema drop-down box in the Dashboard; I’d prefer it to select MyProduction schema automagically instead.

Yes,this has been requested. It is on our list…and to be clear, are youmostly wanting to be able to run, see results, and go right back intoTB to do more changes?
Is there anything else you want to do while TB is still open? Iam not sure if we can/will do this soon, but we have made it easier togo immediately back into TB from the Viewer.

Yes, I normally run my test, check results and go immediately back to TB (usually because I managed to get my test definition wrong :slight_smile:

Do you mean you want to be able to create suites within suites?

Yes.

• stop test builder from automatically reformattingtheExpected/Got queries; I prefer having one field per line, and nolinebreaks in hard-coded string constants

You cannot do thisright now, it is true. So…can you tell me as specifically as possiblein which windows you want to disable formatting? Is it only query boxesor have you run across other places?

I didn’t realize you could customize the reformatting behaviour via Tools->Formatting preferences (thanks to Greg for pointing this out) - I’m absolutely content with this.

Thanks a lot & kind regards
Frank