Toad World® Forums

Some Requests

Hi

some requests (maybe 3, 4, 7 are already implemented )

1- I make a tests for all the functions in a package. (17) Running the tests takes a 5 minutes to run.
That is expectable but when writing the test cases and testing then (initializations ,etc.) it would be helpful to be able to run only the test for a function (inside the package) or a specific test case.

2- When a problem appear in the “compilation console” it’s very cryptic to figure out what is the test case or at least the function/procedure where the problem originates.

3- When copying a test case is there a way for the program to ask the new name and not created as copy and then having to rename it?

4- When changing the parameters of a function/procedure is there a way to automatically reproduce that in the test cases already wrote?
(I only figure out how to do it “by hand” with the test editor)

5- For the dashboard I would like a vision like

|suite / programs | test builder / show results (for the program/suite selected on the left) |

Still two areas but having the choice to switch the “vision” and having the test builder there or the show results

6- I think that Test Builder could benefit with the use of a tree for the Functions/programs (and not the drop-down)

7- Is there a report that would display the functions/procedures and the name of the test defined in a program or in a test suite?

Thanks

Filipe Silva

I like your avatar, Filipe. The resemblance is uncanny…here are my responses…

1- I make a tests for all the functions in a package. (17) Running the tests takes a 5 minutes to run. Thatis expectable but when writing the test cases and testing then(initializations ,etc.) it would be helpful to be able to run only thetest for a function (inside the package) or a specific test case.

SF - Currently, you can run selected unit tests and test cases, but only from within the Test Editor. We are looking at a redesign of the Test Dashboard so that it incorporates a “typical” tree, and they you can select and run what you want directly from there. Would also be nice to extend this to TB.

2-When a problem appear in the “compilation console” it’s very cryptic tofigure out what is the test case or at least the function/procedurewhere the problem originates.

SF - In the latest release, you can validate custom code directly in the window in which you type it. That should handle most of your concerns. Let me know if you cannot find this feature. The window flow when an error occurs at generate/run time is also very awkward. I hope to clean that up for 1.9.

3- When copying a test case isthere a way for the program to ask the new name and not created as copyand then having to rename it?

When you copy inside Test Editor you can rename the test case, but not in Test Editor. Sigh…I will add that to our ER list.

4- When changing the parameters ofa function/procedure is there a way to automatically reproduce that inthe test cases already wrote?
(I only figure out how to do it “by hand” with the test editor)

SF - No, sorry, there is only manual support for code evolution now - but once you change the test element for a program unit, say add an IN argument, it is automatically propagated to all existing test cases. So some of the effort is automated.

5- For the dashboard I would like a vision like

|suite / programs | test builder / show results (for the program/suite selected on the left) |

Still two areas but having the choice to switch the “vision” and having the test builder there or the show results

SF - That is roughly what we are looking at doing, though the specifics of design are still very much to be decided. Except: no current plans to move the entirety of test builder into the Dashboard, at least not in the first phase of redesign. I expect Test Editor to be merged into the dashboard. Changing TB from a modal to non-modal window is, unfortunately, more complicated than it sounds. :frowning:

6- I think that Test Builder could benefit with the use of a tree for the Functions/programs (and not the drop-down)

SF - Maybe so, maybe so…the problem is that the window is already very complicated. I am not convinced that adding another visual element would be all that helpful. Really, a better way to think about TB is that it is a “create test case” wizard on steroids.

7-Is there a report that would display the functions/procedures and thename of the test defined in a program or in a test suite?

SF - Right now there is “All Programs in Selected Schema with Tests Defined” but that only show the name of the program. There is also “Test Definition Highlights” that certainly shows you all test cases for every subprogram in a package. Do you want a single report that, for each program unit tested, gives a list of test cases of each subprogram? Please be specific or give me an example. These are easy to add.

Hi Steven

1- That possibility of running a particular test case is missing from the Test Builder. (Only available in Test Editor)

2- > In the latest release
That means 1.8.5 or the beta?

3- (…) >When you copy inside Test Editor you can rename the test case, but not in Test Editor. (…)

I think that you intended to write " but not in Test Builder." :slight_smile:

6 - I make a simple example: I add several “empty” test cases (just add) for several subprograms and then I tried to save. It gave some errors due that some of the tests need more info to compile. Those test cases got a special icon but I had to use the drop down list to figure out what was the test with the missing info (maybe when the error is given show the test case info …or “jump” to it?)

7- The reports I want is something like

a) For a selected Program show all the subprograms and the name of the tests. Report also subprograms without any test.

b) For a selected suite show all the Programs and for each show the same as a).

Thanks
Filipe

PS: My current Avatar is GKar (a fictional character in the universe of the science fiction television series Babylon 5, played by Andreas Katsulas)

Message was edited by: Fsilva

A new one :slight_smile:

8- I would like to be able from the Show results window to run all the tests that in the last run failed (That option should not be available if there is new tests or the last run didn’t found any error).

Thanks
Filipe

Yes, this is an excellent idea and we have it on our list!

Yes, 1.8.5 is the latest release.

I will add those requests for reports to our ER list.

I used to watch Babylon 5; that was pretty good as sci fi went. Have you watched the Serenity series and movie? I liked that a lot…

SF

Have you watched the Serenity series and movie? I liked that a lot…

Yes I liked it…It’s another sci-fi TV program that was closed too soon :frowning:
(some others of my preferences that were closed too soon were: Veritas the Quest and Crusade.)