Toad World® Forums

Something Positive for 3.3 Beta

We upgraded our financial/hr system over the weekend. Yesterday and today, we used data compares that I had set up in advance using Toad Data Point 3.3 Beta to validate data in 120 of our most critical tables, representing OVER 57,000,000 (million) records, field by field!!!

We could have never done this without TOAD!

Of all of the features of TDP, data compare is one of my favorite and most used (quick export to Excel is probably the most used).

That said, what would improve functionality 100000000-fold would be to be able to sort one of the sets by color to find the handful of errors in large record sets. Scrolling and looking is time-consuming, tedious, and typically fruitless.

Yay! love to hear it.

Debbie

Interesting idea. I entered enhancement request as CR108021 and forwarded to Data Compare team.

Thanks,

Debbie

Hello,

Very nice to hear that Data Compare is really helpful for you!

Could you tell us a bit more on your suggestion about ability to sort sets by color to find errors. What king of errors and what coloring do you mean? Could you give an example?

I don’t have any screen shots handy, but basically all I want to do is filter/sort one of the result sets by the exception case (missing, additional, or changed). When the result sets being compared are more than, say, 10,000, it’s hard to scroll around to find the exceptions when there are just 2-3 of them. If you’re comparing result sets of 100,000+, it becomes impossible and the tool loses it’s usefulness.

At the bottom of the compare screen, there is a legend that shows the exception and the color those rows are highlighted. It would be helpful if the user could click the color in the legend and the results are filtered on those rows. It would have to be enhanced a bit so that users could pick which result set to filter.

Hmm, sorry still not clear, do you say about Data Compare or Data Diff Viewer? In Data Compare there is no legend at the bottom of the compare screen, but there are filters you say about at the top of comparison grid. I’ve attached an image that illustrates what I say about.
ComparisonStatusFilter.png

Sorry, I meant the data diff viewer. I attached a screen shot (Data Diff crashes in the 3.3 beta a lot), but in the bottom right, the user can specify the color used to highlight the exception cases. If there was something similar we could use to filter the results, it would help immensely. Thanks.

I was checking out Data Compare to see how it was different from Data Diff and I can’t get it to run using the Teradata .Net connection in the latest 3.3 beta. Below is the error message.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException
Could not load file or assembly ‘file:///C:\Program Files x86\Quest Software\Toad Data Point Beta 3.3\Plugins\Data Compare\Quest.DataCompare.PLTeraData.dll’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Stack Trace:
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile)
at Quest.DataCompare.PL.Factory.CreateServer(ServerType type)
at Quest.DataCompare.UI.ComparisonWizard.WizardDualConnect.RecreateServer(Server server, Action`1 setServer, Server currectServer, ConnectParams newCp)
at Quest.DataCompare.UI.ComparisonWizard.WizardDualConnect.RecreateServers()
at Quest.DataCompare.UI.ComparisonWizard.WizardDualConnect.ClosingFromNext(PageEventArgs e)
at Quest.DataCompare.UI.GeneralUI.Base.WizardBaseDC.b__2(Object sender, PageEventArgs e)
at Quest.Toad.Controls.Wizard.WizardPage.OnCloseFromNext(Wizard wiz)
at Quest.Toad.Controls.Wizard.Wizard.Next()
at Quest.Toad.Controls.Wizard.Wizard.btnNext_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.BaseButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.BaseButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at DevExpress.Utils.Controls.ControlBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.BaseControl.WndProc(Message& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Ok, now it’s clear. First about your question. Diff Viewer has a toolbar that provides a similar functionality (it appears when you open Diff Viewer). Here is a screenshot of it. You can toggle “Show Unchanged” button do display or hide rows that have no differences. Also you can use “Next Difference” or “Prev Difference” buttons to navigate between rows with differences.

Also, good news is that in next TDP release we plan to integrate Data Compare into Data Diff Viewer, so it will become more functional. Also in some cases you may try to use Data Compare instead of Diff Viewer if you need more control over comparison process. The limitation is that Data Compare works only with database objects, so you can’t send query results from editor to Data Compare, but for case like on your screenshot it’s not necessary as Data Compare allows to specify WHERE clauses for each object.

Now about errors, first one (red cross in Diff Viewer) was fixed about a month ago, second one seems to be fixed as well, so in nearest beta it should be fine.
DiffViewerToolbar.png

1. About error - now it works even worse ;(. Till now I’ve seen at last one panel. Currently - none.
  2. Improvement proposal: It would be great if you add possibility to generate ‘synchro’ scripts: insert / update / delete - depending of user choice.

Butter
    diff.png

1. We had not yet published beta since that time, so the fix will be only in the next one, not current.
  2. For synchronization purposes you can use Data Compare. Diff Viewer can’t be used for synchronization as it compares two result sets that can be even not related to any data in a database.

Hi itlnstln
Could you check if you have file Quest.DataCompare.PLTeraData.dll plugins folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad Data Point Beta 3.3\Plugins\Data Compare?

Thanks!

No, I do not have that file.

Below is the error I get when the Diff Viewer loads. I do see the toolbar now. I’m not sure how I missed it before.

System.NullReferenceException
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stack Trace:
at Quest.Toad.Grid.ToadGridControl.gridView_CustomColumnDisplayText(Object sender, CustomColumnDisplayTextEventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Views.Base.ColumnView.RaiseCustomColumnDisplayText(CustomColumnDisplayTextEventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Views.Base.ColumnView.RaiseCustomColumnDisplayText(Int32 rowHandle, GridColumn column, Object _value, String displayText)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Views.Grid.Drawing.GridPainter.DrawRegularRowCell(GridViewDrawArgs e, GridCellInfo ci)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Views.Grid.Drawing.GridPainter.DrawRegularRow(GridViewDrawArgs e, GridDataRowInfo ri)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Views.Grid.Drawing.GridPainter.DrawRow(GridViewDrawArgs e, GridRowInfo ri)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Views.Grid.Drawing.GridPainter.DrawRows(GridViewDrawArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Views.Grid.Drawing.GridPainter.DrawContents(GridViewDrawArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Views.Grid.Drawing.GridPainter.Draw(ViewDrawArgs ee)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.Views.Base.BaseView.Draw(GraphicsCache e)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.GridControl.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.Container.EditorContainer.WndProc(Message& m)
at DevExpress.XtraGrid.GridControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Message was edited by: itlnstln

Yes, it’s an error that was already fixed and the fix will be available with nearest beta. Kiki just clarified about error in Data Compare on Teradata connection to make sure it’s fixed as well. Thank you for information.

What is your beta build number?

Mine is 3.3.0.1168.

The issue should be fixed in latest beat build 1248.

Awesome! Thanks!