Toad World® Forums

Spotlight on ORacle with windows 10

I have a new Windows 10 client machine (VM) where I have installed Oracle 10.2 client 32-bit with full administrator option.

I have also installed Spotlight On Oracle.

Starting spotlight and adds a new connection. Can choose from the list of databases defined in my tnsnames.ora from the connection string drop down list.

However, adding the config, I get a exception trying to connect with the following message:

Can’t initialize OCI. Error -1

Running it from the cmd prompt indicates that ORACLE_HOME environment variable is set. Also the PATH variable is set to %ORACLE_HOME%\bin and the oci.dll exists in ORACLE_HOME\bin:

C:\oracle\ora10gClient\BIN>set
ORACLE_HOME=C:\oracle\ora10gClient
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\oracle\ora10gClient\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Users\kos\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;

C:\oracle\ora10gClient\BIN>dir oci.dll
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 620B-2558

Directory of C:\oracle\ora10gClient\BIN

29.08.2005 22.47 344 064 oci.dll
1 File(s) 344 064 bytes
0 Dir(s) 14 520 000 512 bytes free

C:\oracle\ora10gClient\BIN>

Anyone seen this before?

Hi,

Most like it is due to Spotlight and Oralce client not in the same bit version.
Are you installed a 32 Spotlight on Oralce ?

Regards,

Keven Wen

I would suggest you load both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the oracle client. That’s what I have done so I can run a mixture of 32 and 64 bit applications

Both Spotlight and the Oracle Client versions are 32 bit.

Are you able to connect via sqlplus ?

Also you can try install a 11g or 12c client see if any difference, you can just download a instant client and add its folder to the begining of path variable.