Toad World® Forums

Spotlight seems to be causing high CPU usage

I have a system that the CPU is running 85 to 100%. When I diagnose, it shows Spotlight to be consuming the CPU. I have Spotlight 11.1.17759.

Can you please send a screenshot showing where you are seeing this CPU utilization?

• Jason Hall

On Aug 11, 2015, at 9:51 AM, nbarnard bounce-nbarnard@toadworld.com wrote:

Spotlight seems to be causing high CPU usage

Thread created by nbarnard
I have a system that the CPU is running 85 to 100%. When I diagnose, it shows Spotlight to be consuming the CPU. I have Spotlight 11.1.17759.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Spotlight on SQL Server - Forum
notifications altogether.

Spotlight on SQL Server - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Sure.

The Total CPU metric that you are looking at shows the total amount of CPU consumed by the session since the session connected (or the instance was restarted). Because Spotlight maintains a persistent connection to your instance, that Spotlight session may have been connected for days/weeks/months whereas many of your application connections only stay connected for seconds/minutes/hours.

The more relevant metric for gauging real time CPU overhead is the next column, CPU ms/s, which in your case is reading zero.

If you need a further help explaining these metrics, please let me know.

• Jason Hall

On Aug 11, 2015, at 10:03 AM, nbarnard bounce-nbarnard@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Spotlight seems to be causing high CPU usage

Reply by nbarnard
Sure.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Spotlight on SQL Server - Forum
notifications altogether.

Spotlight on SQL Server - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Ok. Thank you. Thats does help. I have been questioned by this from others that monitor. Now I have your response to prove that it is not our tool causing the issues. :slight_smile: I will reach out here again. This is the first time I used the forum. Very please.