Toad World® Forums

SQL Navigator 6.3 Beta Build 1625 (expires 31 March 2010)

Hi guys,

SQL Navigator beta build 1625 is now available for download. Please refer to the announcement for more information.

http://sqlnavigator.inside.quest.com/ann.jspa?annID=369

Cheers,
Gwen

Hi Gwen,

Alex was assiduous …

So far the following in short:

Code-Editor:
wrong bold marking of pairs of brackets.
This comes when you go to the end of a intended line and makes a return.
The new line is intended like the one above.
If you are using the lookup and choose one of the existing package functions,
the bold marked characters are wrong.
It seems to count the position from the beginning without the intention.

Syntax Colors:
I am missing some syntax cases in difference to 5.5.4
(Default packages, Exceptions, Reserved word, Table name, Variable and Error Line. This was kind of messy from 6.0 on. (And still is…)
Why are they not included anymore?

Best Regards
Andre

Hi Andre,

Code Editor:

• wrong bold marking of pairs of brackets.: more info please
  • This comes when you go to the end of a intended line and makes a return. The new line is intended like the one above. Have you tried turning off the Code Editor > General > Auto Indent preference?
    If you are using the lookup and choose one of the existing package functions, the bold marked characters are wrong. More info please
    It seems to count the position from the beginning without the intention.More info please

Syntax colors:
This comes down to the limitation of the component that we are using. With the one we in 5.5, it does all these parsing by itself but it’s not the case with the new component. This item is on the list but it will take time to fix it and roll it out.

Gwen

Hi Gwen,

I’m, not sure if it’s truely academic evidenced - however, somewhere I heard it rumoring that a men has only 2000 words per day wheras a woman has 5000.
Maybe Alex repertoire was nearly consumed when he wrote his message. :slight_smile:
So your request for more detailed informations seems to be understandable.
I will forward your request to him. I promise!

Warm Regards
Andre

Hi Gwen,

From Alex:
I have made the following example step by step:

1. Set Preferences of the Code Editor / General to Use TAB Characters = true and Intend Size = 4

2. Create a new Package.

3. Go to the Procedure procedure_name and delete the statements ; line

4. Use Return to get a new line after BEGIN

5. Use the Tab-Key once or twice to get a Tab-Intention.

6. Use the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+D for DBMS_OUTPUT.Put_Line( string );

7. => If you use the cursor the brackets are marked wrong (see the attachment: the t in String is marked, not the bracket).

8. If I change the Preference to Use TAB Characters = false, the brackets are marked correctly.
    Please see the image too.

Best regards
Andre
Alex_630_001.bmp

Hi Andre and Alex,

Thanks for the steps I can reproduce the bug now. A CR has been logged for it. you gotta love the power of communication right?

Cheers
Gwen

Hey Guys,

Just saw this today. You should have sent me an email!

Say, how come every time I upgrade I lose all of my stored passwords??? It’s very annoying to have to retype all the passwords I have every time I load a new version.

Can you tell me where the passwords are stored so I can copy the file over?

Thanks!

Jet

Gwen

I use the PL/SQL Formatter option a lot to beautify the code.

I disabled the header generation and saved it. Even after that, the header always appears while using the formatter option.

Am I doing anything wrong or something changed.

Thanks
Karthik

Hi Karthik,

Did you go to Tools->Formatter Tools->Formatting Options to open the options windows? When you select Disable for the tagline option in Header pane, the header should not be generated anymore when you perform formatting again.

Thanks,
Vincent
disable_tagline.jpeg

Hi Jet,

We’ll send you email notification next time :).

The feature of “Import User Profile Settings” from previous version is somehow not up to date in this 6.3 beta. It tries to import the settings from 6.2.0 but not the latest 6.2.1 :(. We will fix this asap.

The passwords are stored in registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Quest Software\SQL Navigator 6.x.x\Logon Passwords. You may need to export from Logon Passwords node. Then you have to edit the reg file manually to change the “SQL Navigator 6.x.x”(the old version) to “SQL Navigator 6.3.0 Beta”. Save it and import the reg file to Registry. Now you should be able to get the stored usernames and passwords automatically fill up when you input them in Logon window.

Hope this helps.

thanks,
Vincent

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the tip. Works like a charm. I don’t think it has ever imported passwords. I had the same problem with all the 6.2 versions I tested. Very annoying.

thanks for the tip.

Jet

Hi Jet,

I tested 6.2.0.1500 loading from 6.1.1 and it worked fine. The passwords were imported. 6.2.1.1521 loading from 6.2.0 worked too. And 6.3 beta loading settings from 6.2.0 could also get the passwords. What were the previous versions that your new versions loaded settings from?

Thanks,
Vincent

I’m thinking the problems I had were with all the 6.2 betas. Seemed like each time I upgraded I had to retype my passwords. Maybe I’m mistaken.

I’ll keep an eye on it.

Jet

Hi Joe,

Everytime we posted a new beta build, we created a thread like this one so users will receive notification email. Did you not get it?

Gwen

Nope. I just kept randomly checking in. Is there something I need to sign up for?

Jet

Vincent

It works fine now. Thanks.

Gwen

Enhancement request

It would be great to have the feature of updating the code in Code Editor, while it is being executed, just like Toad. I am not sure if I can acheive this by having any option set. Please advise.

Tried to test the following fix
“Cannot open package body when the user got granted execute on the package.”

and it does not work

With 6.2.1 I can navigate other schemas, but can not open any packages.
With 6.3 I can not even open Package Bodies list on another schema. Tried both DB Explorer and DB Navigator.

DB Explorer shows ‘Expanding …’ and returns no result. DB Navigator freezes for several minutes when I double click ‘Package Bodies’, then the cursor and selection jumps to ‘All Schemas’ and Package bodies is blank.

Also got
v6.3.0 2009-12-17 13:38:40 Access violation at address 0488AF95 in module ‘sqlnavigator.exe’. Read of address 00000000
v6.3.0 2009-12-17 13:38:40 Access violation at address 0488AF95 in module ‘sqlnavigator.exe’. Read of address 00000000

fetching data from one view.

Still seeing random time format changes in the log:
16:33:47 Start Script Execution …
16:33:47 **** SCRIPT STARTED: 17-Dec-2009 16:33:47 ****
16:33:47 select * from product
16:33:48 Data Set is Read-Only; 250 row(s) fetched (Partial)
16:33:48 **** SCRIPT ENDED 17-Dec-2009 16:33:47 ****
16:33:48 End Script Execution
4:39:14 PM Start Script Execution …
4:39:14 PM **** SCRIPT STARTED: 12/17/2009 4:39:14 PM ****
4:39:14 PM SELECT a.sfm_id, a.sfm_product, a.pbt_id
4:39:14 PM FROM esms.billing_mapping_sf a
4:39:14 PM Data Set is Read-Only; 0 row(s) fetched
4:39:14 PM **** SCRIPT ENDED 12/17/2009 4:39:14 PM ****
4:39:14 PM End Script Execution

Now sure what triggers it.

Message was edited by: ashmelev

You meant ‘modify a script’ while it’s being run? Or is that a stored program? As per design, it’s not possible. Although with stored program, what you can do is generate SQL script for the program and work on it while the program itself is running.

Gwen

Hi Alexey,

As you may have known, the way SQL Navigator and Toad handle stored programs is completely different. When Toad shows the package body, it only shows the create script for the body. In sqlnav, it actually shows the body with various information like created day, status, etc. that unfortunately cannot be retrieved if you don’t have enough permissions. So in this case, we fix it so that it shows the body in the tree but all you can do is use Source Preview (under View menu) to see the source code.

Having said that, it should not give you AV or freeze. Could you please provide a few screenshots for this bug? So 6.3 beta is bit better than 6.2.1 because in 6.2.1 you cannot open any package and in 6.3 only the package body cannot be opened?

Gwen