Toad World® Forums

SQL Navigator 6.5 Beta build 1986 (expires 28 Feb 2011)

Hi Everyone

We are proud to announce the release of our first 6.5 beta.
I hope you can all join us in using this release and giving us feedback.

We are still working on other issues that have been reported by our community and we will provide more builds in the new year.

Location of the build:

http://sqlnavigator.inside.quest.com/shares/sqlnavigator/sbin/beta/1986/sqlnav_6.5.0.1986-KX_beta.zip

Issues resolved in this release:

Syntax highlight on error causes text to disappear
Support 11g keywords - Syntax highlight
Synax Highlighting for timestamp don’t work in Packages
View editor does not notice changes
View editor focus lost on apply changes
Saving DDL documents does not always ask for filename
Ignore trailing spaces when enter value in grid for number type
CodeEditor can not type after Ctrl+E
extract ddl for object displays in trigger editor
Find + does not work
Replace not working properly with regular expressions in Search/Replace window.
Scroll bar can’t move when do sort in the column page
CLOB editor scroll bar not going to end
Close button x is disabled after opening a file
AV occurs when Createing a new Constraint
File open dialog not resizable in ‘View Differences’
Issue with Export Data Spool Text
Server output tracing statements before the error code appears
Bring back the Quick Filter" i.e. old filter side by side with new filter in the DBX"
Empty cursor list causes ‘Index Out of Bounds’ in Run TAB
Open Object at Cursor not working in the Create Statement
Tab keystroke to select/complete the option in the dotlook/code completion list.
Add support for SEGMENT CREATION for Tables.
Multi lines dbms output is not highlighted completely in Spool
Close Code Editor when closing the last remaining tab - new preference included
Don’t press the save button your catalog’s will not be saved and you will not get a warning about it.
Session Browser to include Last Activity Timestamp
9i database hangs when certain SQL is ran, e.g. SELECT XMLELEMENT…
Strange behaviour in text selection with keyboard and mouse mixed
Cursor beyond EOF
Launch Profile Manager, SQL Tracker from SQL Nav app
Ability to navigate to table from an Index, just like it is possible to open index from table editor.
CLOB field doesn’t show as (null) after it’s deleted in data grid
Quoted object name is mixed up with normal object name in object selector
Smart Tab is not working correctly
Can’t debug the package when log on as non-DBA user
Should use = instead of LIKE in the queries to improve performance
split is set in code editor, then Text in code editor will disappear when apply preference.
SQL navigator hang when print code editor
OIDINDEX clause is duplicated when extract ddl for table
Problem cloning Table with CLOBs/BLOBs
Work with trace into in Debugger will cause AV
Reduce the cell spacing in the data grid
Include a DROP FORCE clause for type object
Data set is read-only if there’re brackets around the query
Open File windows to have the same list of file types
Options to change the behaviour of drag & drop view
Cannot start selecting text if mouse is clicked under the last line
Sorting doesn’t work in DataSet Viewer
Cannot make changes to both column name and type in the Table Editor
Ability to export selected rows
Various issues with BLOB, CLOB, etc. editor
Search string should be positioned at the top when object is opened from code search
Copy/Paste in block mode doesn’t work consistently
File type drop down doesn’t show text file .txt like in 5.5
Find and Replace does not work with some regular expressions
Find Recycle bin Objects is not disabled when Find Objects is running
Add the Schema Scope group box to Find Recycle bin Objects
Allow to stop Code Search when searching
Source Viewer in the Profiler doesn’t show the correct script
Preference to move/not move the currently executed query to the top
SQLNav should ignore the EOF character in tnsnames.ora
Nav hangs when updating a table row which is locked
Preference ‘Trim column width while pasting’ under Object Editors doesn’t work
When click show column, the column in the columns tab in the toolbox isn’t selected
Add Search feature for History pane
Add shortcuts to View Differences
Open exported data in an existing tab or new tab
OS Authentication - Display Schema name in DBX and DB Nav
Add a Node for Directories in DBNavigator tree
Date is cut off when export from data grid
The name field in Find Objects is too short to show long object name
New line character is added after insetting a template
Ctrl+left/right arrow doesn’t place the cursor at the right position
The few characters were cut off from the Date field in the Spool tab
On opening, allow auto sizing column name, in DESCRIBE window, to a size of the largest column name.
Add support for 10g syntax - NAN(Not A Number) and INF (Infinity)ORA-01722: invalid number
Improve support for large Data Sets in the data grid
run this query with fetch all option - select * from all_arguments, (select * from emp where rownum < 5); --> nav closes
Enhance DB Navigator - show additional Tablespace information and new node in tree for Data files
Trigger Editor: resize/dock details pane on the right/left/bottom
Remove 2GB file size limitation when exporting
extract of securefile LOB is not picking up the securefile option
Opening and saving a schema trigger will remove trigger options - COMMENT,RENAME
Output spooling slow
AV caused when executing object (on 10g/11g db) using 9i client
running series of sql statements was causing: ORA-01406: fetched column value was truncated
User should not be able to add multiple substitution variables with the same name
Unable to enter euro key “€” in the code editor

I would also like to thank our beta community for working with us to provide valuable feedback on SQL Navigtaor.

Wishing you all a very festive season.
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and looking forward to working together in the future

Regards
SQL Navigator Team

CLOB field doesn’t show as (null) after it’s deleted in data grid

I still got (CLOB) and it’s deleted …(before commit)

Regards and a very good year

Hi Filipe

Can I clarify the details of the issue from you?

• If I select a CLOB cell and delete the data, the word (CLOB) becomes bolded
  • If I commit it shows blank and/or if I move my cursor off the cell before I commit, it also shows as blank.

Same thing happens to BLOB from what I can see.

Is this what you mean?
What is the issue you have, is it that it does not say NULL or is it something different?

Regards
Lidia

Message was edited by: Lidia

Message was edited by: Lidia

• if I delete a CLOB it gets (CLOB) bold but not (Null) bold. If I change the line it “un-bolds”
    -If I edit the CLOB it only gets bold until I change the line
  • If I commit it shows blank and/or if I move my cursor off the cell before I commit, it also shows as blank.

Only If I commit it gets (Null)

I tried with the (Null) preference on and off and I get the same thing (besides the appearing blank or (Null) in the empty field :slight_smile: )

Regards
Filipe

Message was edited by: Fsilva

Hi, I was checking your beta and here are some observations
congratulations for your product

The process to close a window of a connection is too tedious

1. when you (ctrl)(f4) the window your are working doesn’t close else it tries to close all the windows a connections has.
    i think or it closes the window or it asks you if you want to close the window or the connection.
  2. A dialog asking yes or no, instead of showing the list of windows, could be better, or the option to use keyboard shorcuts to close, i.e. (ctrl f4) and then N or Y.
  3. pressing the middle button on window tab, don´t close the window and this is an standard currently on windows.
  4. in the same way to close subtabs generated by a script having several queies, them could be closed using middle button.

Modifications redo
Because in text edition in windows, redo, default shorcut (ctrl) Y is the default, I think the first time you press, it should ask, or have both ctrl-Y and the one you use.

Annoying problems when executing scripts
1)
when running a script, pressing f8 repeteadly, even after you see the statement had been executed or is just to be ended, causes sometimes to appears a message saying “Current session is busy. do you want to create a new session to run de script?”
I think If I would like to to run asynchronously in the same script I would create another session, or maybe the delay before asking this could be increased.
The first time a script is run I prefer to run step by step pressing f8 to test it, or sometimes you have a mixed script having dmls and selects to verify data modification.
2)
When running a query having a function I can get and copy the result I got from it
i.e. SELECT function from DUAL;
the problem is for some reason the result of displayed as if I would had pressed expand upper panel, but when the query is executed it is not resized, neither resizing neither pressing shrink sql pane it is moved up.
so every time I query i have to resize the upper pane.
I close and opened again sql navigator and it solved.

some features I would like
like in oracle forms you type in the upper left box of the navigator the name of a item and the navigator goes there, will be nice in sql navigator to type the name of a table and get the navigator go to a table with that name, but I think it must include the name of the owner, or a way to exclude this “typing search” in sys and other sys schemas.

Another feature useful when running script could be the possibility to configure to skip some errors.

in development database some times you execute some scripts some other did.
i.e. duplicate primary key, column already exists, etc.

The idea is if stop on error is enabled, sql navigator don’t consider them as an error and don’t stop the long script to update production database, if those errors are raised.

Hi Cachitok,

Thanks for checking the beta and all the feedback.

I have reviewed your comments. I’m now trying to response to all the items one by one. I hope I will cover them all.

1. Ctrl+F4 is designed to close a “window”, and Shift+F4 is designed to closed a “tab”. A Code Editor window can contain many tabs.

2. When you’re closing a Code Editor window which contains many tabs and some of them has been modified, you will see the prompt asking you to select a list for “tabs” to save. And when you’re trying to close the whole application, you will need to select the list of all windows and tabs to save. There is no simple “Yes” and “No” option to save all or skip saving at all, but you can use “Select All” or “Clear All” in the confirmation dialog to choose to save all or skip saving.

3. The middle button hasn’t been designed to close tab or subtab. I will create a enhancement request for you of this idea.

4. Ctrl+Y is currently designed to delete a line. I know in some applications this shortcut is used to “Redo” but in some text editors it is used to delete a line like SQLNav does. It may not be easy to change the way that most of our users are used to. Your suggestion seems reasonable and we will consider.

5. Run statement asynchronously or run it in new session? Current we haven’t had a queue for script executions in a session. I think an option to let user to choose whether to run next statement in a queue or in a new session will be helpful. I will create an enhancement request.

6. The size of result pane isn’t remembered after every execution? I couldn’t reproduce this issue yet but I will keep investigating for you.

7. New feature to locate an item in DB Explorer or DB Navigator by selecting a name in the editor? Currently we have the feature “Go to definition” but this opens the object rather than only locations it in the tree. I think your idea is good and I will create an ER.

8. Skip some errors when running a script with “Stop on error” option on? I understand your requirement. Do you want to specify the errors by ORA-XXX or any better ways? I can create an ER for you.

Please feel free to add more comments. Let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks,
Vincent

Other ones :slight_smile:

When I select a date time having time, the time is not displayed.
SELECT dd2_time from sys.ddls
(the reason this table is in sys is because it saves informations about all ddls executed in the production database)
Describing sys.ddls…

NAME Null? Type

DD2_USER VARCHAR2(100)
DD2_TIME DATE
DD2_OBJETO VARCHAR2(100)
DD2_TIPO VARCHAR2(100)
DD2_SQL CLOB(4000)
DD2_OSUSER VARCHAR2(200)
DD2_MACHINE VARCHAR2(200)
DD2_OPROGRAM VARCHAR2(200)
DD2_OWNER VARCHAR2(200)

1. I’m not sure if this is only my impression but queries are too slow, but too slow.
    SELECT dd2_time from sys.ddls where rownum
    SELECT dd2_time from sys.ddls – 25,2 s tooo slow,
    but curiously in the status bar says 1,657 s, and 188740 rows fetched.
    apparently it is fetching all the data because when I got to the last record it goes very fast.
    I think this should fetch only first recods, or this should be easy to change from first records to all records.

1. ok
    thanks I didn’t knew.

2. ok

3. Thanks I don’t know if its an standard but in other products like ultraedit, jdeveloper,firefox, it works, that’s the reason why I suppose its a standard
    The middle button hasn’t been designed to close tab or subtab. I will create a enhancement request for you of this idea.

4. Personally I think is a standard, maybe because it had been imposed by microsoft, like ctrl-Z, when you press ctrl-Z more than the necessary and then you press ctrl-Y and it don’t redo, then you perceive something is wrong, and I’m not telling what you are saying is not the right thing.

5. thanks One I work using sqlnavigator 5.5,4 and this never happened, try it press f8 and f10 in a consequetively and it don’t askyou to create a new session.
    Run statement asynchronously or run it in new session? Current we haven’t had a queue for script executions in a session. I think an option to let user to choose whether to run next statement in a queue or in a new session will be helpful. I will create an enhancement request.

6. thank you I’ll try to reproduce too.
    The size of result pane isn’t remembered after every execution? I couldn’t reproduce this issue yet but I will keep investigating for you.

7. thank you
    New feature to locate an item in DB Explorer or DB Navigator by selecting a name in the editor? Currently we have the feature “Go to definition” but this opens the object rather than only locations it in the tree. I think your idea is good and I will create an ER.

8. Thanks, the idea is to specify the no stop in some errors, like duplicate key, column already exists, table already exists, and all the already exists, except types, because some times you have to drop the type to recreate it.

Skip some errors when running a script with “Stop on error” option on? I understand your requirement. Do you want to specify the errors by ORA-XXX or any better ways? I can create an ER for you.

thanks

Other ones, i have until 28 february 2011 to give you feedback, I enjoy using your betas when the are availables because I don’t have license:),
but from 6.0 is like if you would had rebuild, I excepted you solve this problem, so it work as 5.x worked but it never happened so I decided to feedback.

1. if I have only one select statement in the sql script window, i.e. select * from dual;, and I press f9 or f8 repeteadly appears a dialog “do you want to create another session?”
    2)After I execute a query, when I drag a column (from the query grid) to the text, to avoid typing the column name, a box appears, not an insert point, I don’t know if this is a mistake, but is not too clear where the column name text will be inserted.

2. When I open a foreign key, from the table definition window double cliking, I can’t disable that constraint in that window, I have to go to the navigator to disable it.
    If I press on the table window on a constraint the right button I have open,create,drop; but not enable/disable.
    I think the same right menu you get on db navigator should appear in any other place you open the right clik menu.

3. a new features could be historic ddls for objects, you could enable optionally.
    and access through the right button menu.

you know you can create triggers for alter create and drop, so in a table you can have all the historic modifications, this is important in development because some times a version is replaced, without using team coding or other feature I suppose could do the same.

i.e.
DECLARE
csql_text ora_name_list_t;
n NUMBER;
cSQL CLOB;
var_user varchar2(30);
var_osuser varchar2(30);
var_machine varchar2(64);
var_process varchar2(09);
var_program varchar2(48);
var_sqltext varchar2(1000);
cDAZA_BDCORRIENDOVERSIONES varchar2(1);
BEGIN

SELECT UPB_BDCORRIENDOVERSIONES
INTO cDAZA_BDCORRIENDOVERSIONES
FROM DAZ.UTL_PARAMETROS_BD_CONF;

IF cDAZA_BDCORRIENDOVERSIONES='F' THEN

select MAX(s.username), MAX(s.osuser), MAX(s.machine), MAX(s.program)
     into var_user, var_osuser, var_machine, var_program
     from sys.v_$session s
          ,sys.v_$sqlarea t
     where s.audsid = userenv('sessionid')
      and s.prev_sql_addr = t.address(+)
      and s.prev_hash_value = t.hash_value(+)
      and username is not null;

n:= ora_sql_txt(csql_text);
     FOR I IN 1..N LOOP
      cSQL:=cSQL||csql_text(i);
     END LOOP;

INSERT INTO SYS.ddls
     (dd2_user, dd2_time, dd2_objeto, dd2_tipo,DD2_SQL,
      DD2_OSUSER , DD2_MACHINE , DD2_OPROGRAM, DD2_OWNER
    )
      VALUES(
      'C-'||DBMS_STANDARD.LOGIN_USER,SYSDATE,
      DBMS_STANDARD.DICTIONARY_OBJ_NAME,
      DBMS_STANDARD.dictionary_obj_type,cSQL,
      var_osuser, var_machine, var_program,DBMS_STANDARD.dictionary_obj_owner
      );

END IF;

EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS THEN NULL;
END;

:slight_smile:

Message was edited by: cachitok

Hello Everybody, I am new at this forum.

I’ve got few questions about new SQL Navigator.

1. Shortcut: ALT+Q: in ver 4.5 it used to change focus from result page to question page. I found that now CTRL+F11 works like that. Is there any possibility to make ALT_Q shortcut work again?

2. When I open package, on the side I see DB Explorer. I think it would be better to automaticaly open Code Explorer button. Now after opening package I have to click one more time to prepare SqlNav for working.

3. How to switch tabs inside a window? As far as I underestand CTRL+TAB changes windows that have many tabs. So is there any shortcut for switching tabs?

4. When I close a window (CTRL+F4) i got the monit ‘Save on close confirmation’ with list of opened tabs. In older versions when I cliked one tab on the list, SqlNav showed the content of a selected tab. It was very convinient, becouse very quickly I could browse tabs and decide what to save, what to close. Now I see only the tab that was chosen at the moment of closing window, very inconvenient.

Thanks in advance, regards,
radhadi.

connected as sys I pressed f12 to the db navigator went to a schema and there were no tables (there was indexes, packates, etc.).
but in db explorer yes.

I repeated the process and the problem repeated.

There is no ‘Add to Project Manager’ option at the DB Explorer context menu. Wolud be useful.

Regards, radhadi.

The button generate ddl script, in the windows to modify procedures, don´t add the
/
at the end of the procedure generated.

and this causes BIIIG problems if you add it to a script, because it includes the code after the procedure until it finds a /.

Don’t duplicate Toads mistake.

For some crazy reason when I start toad, it triggers the virus alarms on my corporate version of Mcafee. I think it’s because they want to modify proxy settings for explorer. The end result is this causes my virus protection software to kick in and scan toad on startup. It looses it’s entertainment value when it makes my machine peg the cpu’s at 100% just to handle the virus scan.

We use sql nav for dba work on a daily basis because it fits better for a dba then toad. I just downloaded 6.5 and will use it for my daily work and send you feedback. We depend on nav a lot here.