Toad World® Forums

SQL Server 2005 and 2000 Supported in New Beta!

Hello All,

I’m happy to inform you that new BETA version 3.0.2.221 has just been launched!
I’m sure all users of SQL Server database will be pleased with this release… (…We’re slowly expanding our TDM 3 BETA community… )

The new Beta brings:

• Support for SQL Server 2005 and 2000 database,
  • Default Values - a new great feature allowing you to define default values for all objects of all models in TDM 3. (See a link on new movie on this issue below.)
  • Enhanced reverse engineering of Oracle database,
  • Logical HTML reports,
  • and more than ten resolved issues…

See the Beta 3.0.2.221 Release Notes document for more details.
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=823&categoryID=29

Download Beta now:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/ann.jspa?annID=86

Watch new instructional movie on the new feature ‘Default Values’ at:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=824&categoryID=30

======================
Invitation for new members

New BETA testers for SQL Server db,
Welcome to our Modeling community!
Feel free to join our forum, post questions, share your ideas, watch movies, read docs… All you find here is fully at your disposal. Explore the new BETA and let us know what you think of it.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Vladka & All TDM Team

P.S. Remember to have a nice weekend!

I’ll bite!
I have a number of TDM2 models in 2000 and 2005. When I try to load them into TDM3 (latest beta as advertised on this forum I get errors:

For a SQL 2000 model it says:

Database 160 is not supported

For a SQL 2005 model it says:

It’s impossible to create a model

When I try Oracle10g then it loads but the log shows this message:

Date in model “” cannot be read! Unknown time format “5/31/2007 11:03:59”.
Format does not match with settings in “Regional and Language Options”.

I have used Database editors quite a lot for my SQL 2000 models (to add project specific data I found useful). I cannot find a means to load these into TDM3 - how is it done - I sincerely hope I am able to move this data into TDM3, losing it is not really an option for my projects.

I attach the sample files I am using - both as TDM2 native formsat and as TDM2 .dmx exports, the ZIP also contains a .TE2 file with my DB editors in.
datamodel.zip (10.5 KB)

Don’t bite, that won’t solve anything for you, it’s just a stupid machine

The import problems are caused by the file “Support.xml” that is located in the exe directory.

For SQL 2000: The file “Support.xml” doesn’t contain support for importing MS SQL 2000 database models, so no such import is possible so far. But the solution is worked on, it’s a piece of cake… You can try it yourself too if you’re really desperate

For SQL 2005: The file “Support.xml” has a database name “MS SQL 2005” which is not the same as the database name in the TDM package. In the “Support.xml” file should be “MS SQL Server 2005” instead of MS SQL 2005

Either you can modify the file yourself or you can wait for our release.

Concerning the time format error, it’s caused by a difference with date and time format stored in an exported model and your Windows “Regional and language options”. In that case, time from the exported model is just ignored when importing and set as the current time in the imported model .

Regards

Hi,

Just a quick note to let you know that Fero has modified the support.xml file. Now the import of TDM 2 models for SQL Server 2000 and 2005 into TDM 3 is possible.

Please download the file from:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2963

Instructions on what to do are included in the message.

Please accept our apology.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Vladka

Greetings guys!

I’m just getting started into TDM3 since I’m using TDM2 now and love it. We’re a SQL shop, so I’m really excited to see the DM now supporting it.

I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND that this is a Beta, so don’t think I’m trying to drag down the application or anything, but here are a few comments/issues I’m currently facing while starting a new model from scratch.

KUDOS

1. I LOVE the fact that I can modify grants/permissions directly in the table/stored procedure I’m working with. This makes things a LOT easier than writing a lengthly group of GRANT statements in my AFTER tab in the old TDM2.

2. The User Interface is a lot nicer to navigate than before. I’m still getting used to a few things, but I’m enjoying it.

3. I can’t place my finger directly on it, but some of the subtler parameters I had to deal with in my data model and scripting it out are easier to modify, it probably matches into item 1 somehow, but overall my model generation is running smoother.

4. Having some direct links to the User/User Group/Custom Types directly within the table properties is a BIG help. Thank you!

QUESTIONS

1. What is the Package Explorer? I double click on tree options, right click on others, and nothign really seems to be happening with this. The same goes for the Script Explorer. I thought this might be a place to modify my model’s scripts, but it appears that it is more of a library of common tasks that I could potentialy drag and drop into my model. Is this accurate?

2. I think I mentioned this in the groups, but is there progress/thought on having a basic data entry tool tied in with the tables? Assuming that there are no complex types involved, it would be nice to have a tab or seperate section where I could establish some “default data” that would turn into a group of INSERT statements upon script generation. I know this doesn’t happen a lot with data models, but if you’re creating a lookup table for something static like States or Countries, it would be nice to have hte model up and running with this data already in place. I know it will translate into quicker prototyping as well.

BUGS/CONCERNS

1. My table isn’t displaying any entities. I’ve added all the columns and specified everywhere I can find to display entities and I still don’t get anything. See the attachments for what my workspace and table information looks like. I’ll admit now that this is a schema for SQL 2000, which is getting older and older, so maybe the rendering won’t show up until a later version.

2. Procedures/Methods/etc. - This seems to be rather confusing to get to. I finally discovered that if I go to the model menu I can get to my Stored Procedures section to see the list. However, the tab for actually entering my SQL is rather small since it is confined to the opening window of the stored procedure properties. I have to resize to accomodate the larger stored procedures I’m writing.

How difficult would it be to expand the Model explorer on the side to contain tree entities for each of the main sections of the Model (Procedures, Functions, Triggers, etc.)? If I double clicked on the stored procedure, it would open the full text in a new tab next to my workspace in which I could edit the SQL. Right clicking on the procedure would bring up the properties window as ususal. This would also allow me to view/edit multiple procedures at once.

All in all, keep up the great work! I’m excited!!!

• Sean
    flopetableproperties.jpeg

Greetings guys!

I’m just getting started into TDM3 since I’m using TDM2 now and love it. We’re a SQL shop, so I’m really excited to see the DM now supporting it.

I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND that this is a Beta, so don’t think I’m trying to drag down the application or anything, but here are a few comments/issues I’m currently facing while starting a new model from scratch.

KUDOS

1. I LOVE the fact that I can modify grants/permissions directly in the table/stored procedure I’m working with. This makes things a LOT easier than writing a lengthly group of GRANT statements in my AFTER tab in the old TDM2.

2. The User Interface is a lot nicer to navigate than before. I’m still getting used to a few things, but I’m enjoying it.

3. I can’t place my finger directly on it, but some of the subtler parameters I had to deal with in my data model and scripting it out are easier to modify, it probably matches into item 1 somehow, but overall my model generation is running smoother.

4. Having some direct links to the User/User Group/Custom Types directly within the table properties is a BIG help. Thank you!

QUESTIONS

1. What is the Package Explorer? I double click on tree options, right click on others, and nothign really seems to be happening with this. The same goes for the Script Explorer. I thought this might be a place to modify my model’s scripts, but it appears that it is more of a library of common tasks that I could potentialy drag and drop into my model. Is this accurate?

2. I think I mentioned this in the groups, but is there progress/thought on having a basic data entry tool tied in with the tables? Assuming that there are no complex types involved, it would be nice to have a tab or seperate section where I could establish some “default data” that would turn into a group of INSERT statements upon script generation. I know this doesn’t happen a lot with data models, but if you’re creating a lookup table for something static like States or Countries, it would be nice to have hte model up and running with this data already in place. I know it will translate into quicker prototyping as well.

BUGS/CONCERNS

1. My table isn’t displaying any entities. I’ve added all the columns and specified everywhere I can find to display entities and I still don’t get anything. See the attachments for what my workspace and table information looks like. I’ll admit now that this is a schema for SQL 2000, which is getting older and older, so maybe the rendering won’t show up until a later version.

2. Procedures/Methods/etc. - This seems to be rather confusing to get to. I finally discovered that if I go to the model menu I can get to my Stored Procedures section to see the list. However, the tab for actually entering my SQL is rather small since it is confined to the opening window of the stored procedure properties. I have to resize to accomodate the larger stored procedures I’m writing.

How difficult would it be to expand the Model explorer on the side to contain tree entities for each of the main sections of the Model (Procedures, Functions, Triggers, etc.)? If I double clicked on the stored procedure, it would open the full text in a new tab next to my workspace in which I could edit the SQL. Right clicking on the procedure would bring up the properties window as ususal. This would also allow me to view/edit multiple procedures at once.

All in all, keep up the great work! I’m excited!!!

• Sean
    flopeemptyworkspace.jpeg

Hello Sean,

Thank you for your great feedback! We’re happy to hear that you like TDM3.

Now to your questions and bugs/concerns…

Q1) What is the Package Explorer? I double click on tree options, right click on others, and nothign really seems to be happening with this. The same goes for the Script Explorer. I thought this might be a place to modify my model’s scripts, but it appears that it is more of a library of common tasks that I could potentialy drag and drop into my model. Is this accurate?

Package Explorer and Script Explorer allow you to extend and make modifications of functions in TDM3, which means they allow you to work with metadata, NOT with particular intances of a model.

As a user, you are not allowed to modify system packages and system scripts, however you can view them and find some inspiration. The only package you can access after the application installation is the User Package. To this package, you can save your own scripts and all other changes and modification you make in the application. Scripts in TDM3 can be written in JScript, VBScript and Internal script. So, it is not a library of SQL scripts that you can drag and drop to TDM3 objects.

Some tips for you:
Let me recommend to read also this thread:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7907&tstart=0#7907

Feel free to watch the following movies:

In any case, we’re working on appropriate documentation on this issue and would like to ask you for patience. Thanks!

Q2
TDM3 will create a db structure, however will not enter any data to the created tables. Unfortunately, we have no function/tool for this at the moment. Nevertheless, you can write SQL code directly to the After Script property, which is a code that will be executed after script generation.

BUG1
I’m a bit confused. Please check out the display level of Workspace and display level of the entity. -> Right-click the entity | **Format **| Entity tab | Display Level.
(WS display level can be seen in the toolbar.)

If the attributes still are not displayed, I’d like to ask you to send us your model for verification. Thanks! (modeling@quest.com)

BUG2
I’m sorry, I’m not sure if I undestand well. Is the SQL tab of the Procedure Properties dialog small for you?
If you enlarge the Properties dialog at your convenience, the modified dialog size will remain preserved when you open it next time (even for newly created procedures).

How difficult would it be to expand the Model explorer on the side to contain tree entities for each of the main sections of the Model (Procedures, Functions, Triggers, etc.)? If I double clicked on the stored procedure, it would open the full text in a new tab next to my workspace in which I could edit the SQL…

I’m afraid, I need more details on what you require. (Sorry for my English.) Here’s what I guess you ask for (example on Procedures):
In Model Explorer | Procedures folder, all procedures are listed. When you double-click the selected procedure, you want to open its SQL code in the Application Window on a separate tab. - Similar to Script Editor.
The newly opened tab should consists of two windows - in the left one, list of procedures is listed (as you like to open more procedures), in the right window, the SQL code of the selected procedure from the left will be displayed.
Am I right? In any case, thanks for more details.

Well, let me note that at the moment, TDM3 allows you to view/edit multiple procedures at once. Via the Model Explorer, you can open the Properties dialog | SQL tab of several procedures and work with them concurrently (copy the code, edit it etc.) The dialogs are modeless. See the attached screenshot.
Feel free to test it out.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Vladka

Greetings again Vladka!

Thanks for the quick response on the questions I had. I’m keeping all that info at hand. On to the bugs…

BUG1
I’m a bit confused. Please check out the display level of Workspace and display level of the entity. -> Right-click the entity | **Format ** | Entity tab | Display Level .

I’ve done this and I’m still not seeing anything. I’m attaching a screenshot of the settings and my model file.

BUG2
I’m sorry, I’m not sure if I undestand well. Is the SQL tab of the Procedure Properties dialog small for you?
If you enlarge the Properties dialog at your convenience, the modified dialog size will remain preserved when you open it next time (even for newly created procedures).

That is true, you can expand it, but one other thing you might have the app do then is remember the window position. I run a large window to enter my code and when the window opens again, it has it in the “center” position, which has most of my details off screen and requires me to move the window again. It may sound kind of nit-picky, but it does become a hassle to move the window every time.

I’m afraid, I need more details on what you require. (Sorry for my English.) Here’s what I guess you ask for (example on Procedures):
In Model Explorer | Procedures folder, all procedures are listed. When you double-click the selected procedure, you want to open its SQL code in the Application Window on a separate tab. - Similar to Script Editor.
The newly opened tab should consists of two windows - in the left one, list of procedures is listed (as you like to open more procedures), in the right window, the SQL code of the selected procedure from the left will be displayed.

You’ve got it all right except one thing. The newly opened tab wouldn’t have two windows, just one window to edit the SQL script. If you wanted to add parameters, permissions, etc., you would right click on the procedure in the Model explorer and select “Properties”. This would open the window that is currently visible when you double click on a stored procedure to modify its properties.

Well, let me note that at the moment, TDM3 allows you to view/edit multiple procedures at once. Via the Model Explorer, you can open the Properties dialog | SQL tab of several procedures and work with them concurrently (copy the code, edit it etc.) The dialogs are modeless. See the attached screenshot.

I like that, I’ll have to work with that a bit more. Thanks!

Oh, a couple more items, if I may add them to this thread.

1. OK+Add… I LOVED this feature in TDM 2. It made it a lot easier to add multiple columns when creating a table. Please put this back. I think its far more efficient than using the Add button in the Attributes section of a table multiple times and then going back to edit the “generic” items created.

Speaking of which, I don’t quite understand how a new attribute needs to be “confirmed” before you can edit it. I just used the checkbox to not prompt me again and got rid of the nuisance.

1. Bug with Stored Procedure Window… This is the steps I took:
    Using Stored Procedure Window
  1. Click Add to add new stored procedure
  2. Double click new “generic” procedure to edit
  3. Change name, caption, insert SQL code for procedure, update permissions, add SQL code to Before Script section.
  4. Hit Apply. I then lose name, caption, SQL, everything but Before Script, Owner, Permissions, List of Arguments

It appears that the Apply button only working on current tab. I need to “apply” on SQL tab in order for code to stick. I’ve also experienced the same behavior on the Before tab as well.

Thanks again for the great product. Keep up the hard work!
datamodel.txp (57 KB)

Greetings again Vladka!

Thanks for the quick response on the questions I had. I’m keeping all that info at hand. On to the bugs…

BUG1
I’m a bit confused. Please check out the display level of Workspace and display level of the entity. -> Right-click the entity | **Format ** | Entity tab | Display Level .

I’ve done this and I’m still not seeing anything. I’m attaching a screenshot of the settings and my model file.

BUG2

That is true, you can expand it, but one other thing you might have the app do then is remember the window position. I run a large window to enter my code and when the window opens again, it has it in the “center” position, which has most of my details off screen and requires me to move the window again. It may sound kind of nit-picky, but it does become a hassle to move the window every time.

You’ve got it all right except one thing. The newly opened tab wouldn’t have two windows, just one window to edit the SQL script. If you wanted to add parameters, permissions, etc., you would right click on the procedure in the Model explorer and select “Properties”. This would open the window that is currently visible when you double click on a stored procedure to modify its properties.

I like that, I’ll have to work with that a bit more. Thanks!

Oh, a couple more items, if I may add them to this thread.

1. OK+Add… I LOVED this feature in TDM 2. It made it a lot easier to add multiple columns when creating a table. Please put this back. I think its far more efficient than using the Add button in the Attributes section of a table multiple times and then going back to edit the “generic” items created.

Speaking of which, I don’t quite understand how a new attribute needs to be “confirmed” before you can edit it. I just used the checkbox to not prompt me again and got rid of the nuisance.

1. Bug with Stored Procedure Window… This is the steps I took:
    Using Stored Procedure Window
  1. Click Add to add new stored procedure
  2. Double click new “generic” procedure to edit
  3. Change name, caption, insert SQL code for procedure, update permissions, add SQL code to Before Script section.
  4. Hit Apply. I then lose name, caption, SQL, everything but Before Script, Owner, Permissions, List of Arguments

It appears that the Apply button only working on current tab. I need to “apply” on SQL tab in order for code to stick. I’ve also experienced the same behavior on the Before tab as well.

Thanks again for the great product. Keep up the hard work!
flopedetaillevel.jpeg

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback again. Here I’m with some notes.

BUG1
I’m sorry I was not clear last time. If you like to see attributes in your model, you need to select the Attributes item from the Display Level.
In your model, the Entity is selected, therefore only entity itself is displayed.
See the attachment.
Now I hope it’s OK.

BUG2
I run a large window to enter my code and when the window opens again, it has it in the “center” position, which has most of my details off screen and requires me to move the window again.

I’ve tested it in your model and also other models, I never got the center position. The SQL code, short or very long, is displayed from its beginning (line 1 with right scrollbar at the top).
Anyway, I’ve forwarded this issue to our testers for further verification.

Double-click the procedure in Model Explorer to open SQL tab in the Application Window.

Thanks for the details. I’ve forwarded your request to our developers. Thanks! CR # 33 485.

Adding attributes - OK+Add… I LOVED this feature in TDM 2…

This issue has already been discussed. Please read the following thread:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2690&tstart=45

Nevertheless, except the “big” Add button, there’s also small Add button - like in TDM2.
However, after you create (add) a new item of attribute, check constraint, domain, category, schema…, the confirmation is necessary so as modeless dialogs would work properly.

Quick update on the thread:
In current Beta, you can disable the Confirm dialog (see the “Do not show next time” checkbox). Then you can add and directly edit your attributes.

1. Bug with Stored Procedure Window…

Apply button should not work only on current tab. When you go through tabs in any Properties dialog, define properties or edit the data, you can confirm Apply in the last step - and all the changes you’ve made should be saved properly.

I’ve taken the same steps as you - created a new procedure, defined its properties on particular tabs (clicking one after another). I didn’t confirm Apply until the last step.
After I clicked Apply finally, the new procedure name has appeared in the object navigator combo-box and all the changes I made on the tabs were saved.
No problem occured.
I’ve done this in your model and also other models.

In any case, our testers will check it out as well.

Thank you for your great co-operation again!

Have a nice day.

Vladka
datamodel_1.txp (57 KB)

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback again. Here I’m with some notes.

BUG1
I’m sorry I was not clear last time. If you like to see attributes in your model, you need to select the Attributes item from the Display Level.
In your model, the Entity is selected, therefore only entity itself is displayed.
See the attachment.
Now I hope it’s OK.

BUG2
I run a large window to enter my code and when the window opens again, it has it in the “center” position, which has most of my details off screen and requires me to move the window again.

I’ve tested it in your model and also other models, I never got the center position. The SQL code, short or very long, is displayed from its beginning (line 1 with right scrollbar at the top).
Anyway, I’ve forwarded this issue to our testers for further verification.

Double-click the procedure in Model Explorer to open SQL tab in the Application Window.

Thanks for the details. I’ve forwarded your request to our developers. Thanks! CR # 33 485.

Adding attributes - OK+Add… I LOVED this feature in TDM 2…

This issue has already been discussed. Please read the following thread:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2690&tstart=45

Nevertheless, except the “big” Add button, there’s also small Add button - like in TDM2.
However, after you create (add) a new item of attribute, check constraint, domain, category, schema…, the confirmation is necessary so as modeless dialogs would work properly.

Quick update on the thread:
In current Beta, you can disable the Confirm dialog (see the “Do not show next time” checkbox). Then you can add and directly edit your attributes.

1. Bug with Stored Procedure Window…

Apply button should not work only on current tab. When you go through tabs in any Properties dialog, define properties or edit the data, you can confirm Apply in the last step - and all the changes you’ve made should be saved properly.

I’ve taken the same steps as you - created a new procedure, defined its properties on particular tabs (clicking one after another). I didn’t confirm Apply until the last step.
After I clicked Apply finally, the new procedure name has appeared in the object navigator combo-box and all the changes I made on the tabs were saved.
No problem occured.
I’ve done this in your model and also other models.

In any case, our testers will check it out as well.

Thank you for your great co-operation again!

Have a nice day.

Vladka

Hi again,

I’d like to go back to bug 2:
I’m sorry, I didn’t understand well.
Now I know what you mean. Sorry.

Now I’ve enlarged the dialog nearly to the size of my screen, closed it, and opened again. Yes, the dialog was placed in the center. You want TDM3 to remember the dialog position.

We will deal with this issue. CR# 33 489.

Thanks for your patience with me!

Vladka

BUG1
I’m sorry I was not clear last time. If you like to see attributesin your model, you need to select the Attributes item from the DisplayLevel.
See the attachment.
Now I hope it’s OK.

Hazzah! Silly me, I kept thinking entity was a more granular level. Such is life. I’m checking up on the other links and everything looks great! Thanks so much. I’ll post any more concerns in a new thread since I’m starting to clog this one up too much 8^D

Keep up the great work!

Hazzah! Silly me, I kept thinking entity was a more granular level. Such is life. I’m checking up on the other links and everything looks great! Thanks so much.

Glad to hear it’s ok now! Thanks for letting me know.

I’ll post any more concerns in a new thread since I’m starting to clog this one up too much 8^D

O.K. We look forward to your next feedback!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for your support!

Vladka & TDM Team

TDM3 beta version 3.0.3.103

1. With an Oracle database model open I selected RE for MS SQL 2000 on the Database Connection screen of the wizard. I got an AV error when I pressed next in the wizard. I have since saved the Oracle model and opened a new SQL 2000 model to receive the RE and I don’t get the AV so I can’t give an address… It was very consistent before saving the model, but I can’t reproduce it now. While it was occurring, double clicking on the error in the log window said it was event 275, if that’a any help.

2. On the connection screen of the RE wizard, , the drop down list for the ‘Types of connections’ screen of the RE wizard, the connect type dropdown text is in a foreign language.

3. Upon selecting ODBC, the ‘connection string’ field will not accept the CTRL+V key sequence. You may right click on the field to utilize the ‘Paste’ menu option.

Since I can’t get the connect string to work, I’ll bounce back to the Oracle model and wreak havoc there.

Hello Bruce,

AD1) We have verified the RE of MS SQL 2000 db several times (just as your write - with an Oracle db model open), and didn’t get an error. Hard to say what has caused the problem. I’m afraid, we would need more information (unfortunately, the event number hasn’t helped us either).

AD2) Oh yes, we will fix it (already entered under CR # 35 205). We’re sorry.

AD3) The ‘connection string’ box should not accept CTRL + V. And it shouldn’t be possible to write or insert any data there. From this box, users should be only allowed to select an item. (Possibly something similar to DSN box used in TDM 2). - Thanks for your notification! We will fix it. - CR # 35 430.

Thanks for your great co-operation!

Regards,

Vladka & TDM Team