Toad World® Forums

SQLNAV 7.1 feedback

Glad to see improvements over 6.x.

Some minor things though.

• When object modified in another session, “Current database object has been modified; do you want to reload it?” When answer is no (or yes, no difference), Focus goes to output, but should stay in the code editor. When the answer is yes, the current line is remembered. However,

• When i do manually “Undo all changes” (Revert), cursor position in editor is not remembered.

• If the connection goes away (usually because of exeeding maximum session length defined with database profile) then, if the first thing that requires connection to the database is not an ordinary sql-query, but Ctrl+Enter on an object name or Code search, the program hangs. This is from 6.x already. It got a bit better in 6.7 (did not hang every time), but worse in 7.x (tends to hang every time). This is why i have to use a navigator per connection - if one connection dies and i forget about that, i don’t lose everything.

• something wrong with code completion under other schema. When logged in as user x, i do “alter session set current_schema=y;” and select user y from the current schema combo. When i start typing in the code editor and expect user y objects to pop up, something flashes (appears and disappears very fast) so its of no use. Only if i start typing “y.something”, then the list of user y objects shows up nicely. But i don’t want to type the “y.”, that’s why i did the “alter session set current_schema =y;” already. The same applies when i modify the packages under schema y - code completion works only i if prefix everything with “y.” - which is nonsense.

• When focus in Code editor, right-click to Output window and “Select All”. Something happens, but not that you can do something with the selection.

• I have “Go to Definition for package programs” set to “Open Body”. When i type “package.program” and Ctrl+Enter, the body opens. When i type “package” and Ctrl+Enter, i still get the spec. In this case i’d also like the body to open (unless the body is wrapped or there is no body or the owner is SYS (most of the time this is wrapped, but not always))

• When i type “package.program” and Ctrl+Enter, the body opens. But if the package was not open yet, the procedure list in Toolbox => Code explorer is closed - an extra click needed to open it.

• sometimes when a package / package body is opened or moved to, an empty code completion window (at least it looks like one) may show up. Sometimes one row in height, sometimes halfscreen, sometimes something in between. Empty. It goes away when you click on the border of the empty box an then outside it. But it shouldn’t be there at all. Happens once a day or once in two days, so i can’t describe what it might be related to.

• Ctrl+Enter on a type name that has some type evolution doesn’t work (This is also old one, from 6.x)

Andres

Hi Andres,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion, it is useful that help us to improve our product.

Below was some note:

• When object modified in another session, “Current database object has been modified; do you want to reload it?” When answer is no (or yes, no difference), Focus goes to output, but should
    stay in the code editor. When the answer is yes, the current line is remembered. However,

Story
SQLNAV-1764 has been raised for this.

• When i do manually “Undo all changes” (Revert), cursor position in editor is not remembered.

Story
SQLNAV-1765 has been raised for this.

• If the connection goes away (usually because of exeeding maximum session length defined with database profile) then, if the first thing that requires connection to the database is not an ordinary
    sql-query, but Ctrl+Enter on an object name or Code search, the program hangs. This is from 6.x already. It got a bit better in 6.7 (did not hang every time), but worse in 7.x (tends to hang every time). This is why i have to use a navigator per connection
  • if one connection dies and i forget about that, i don’t lose everything.

It was hard to reproduce, we sill investigation for this issue.

• something wrong with code completion under other schema. When logged in as user x, i do “alter session set current_schema=y;” and select user y from the current schema combo. When i start
    typing in the code editor and expect user y objects to pop up, something flashes (appears and disappears very fast) so its of no use. Only if i start typing “y.something”, then the list of user y objects shows up nicely. But i don’t want to type the “y.”,
    that’s why i did the “alter session set current_schema =y;” already. The same applies when i modify the packages under schema y - code completion works only i if prefix everything with “y.” - which is nonsense.

Story
SQLNAV-1766 has been raised for this, it maybe relative to do “alter session set current_schema=y;”

• When focus in Code editor, right-click to Output window and “Select All”. Something happens, but not that you can do something with the selection.

When focus in Code Editor, right click on output and “Select All”, the output message will select all with grey color, and can not use the short cut key to do something. But
you can do action by right click menu.

• I have “Go to Definition for package programs” set to “Open Body”. When i type “package.program” and Ctrl+Enter, the body opens. When i type “package” and Ctrl+Enter, i still get the spec.
    In this case i’d also like the body to open (unless the body is wrapped or there is no body or the owner is SYS (most of the time this is wrapped, but not always))

“Go to Definition for package programs” just for the function or procedure in package, that mean only work for “package.program”, so when you only type “package” and Ctrl+Enter
will not work for this option.

• When i type “package.program” and Ctrl+Enter, the body opens. But if the package was not open yet, the procedure list in Toolbox => Code explorer is closed - an extra click needed to open
    it.

Story
SQLNAV-1767 has been raised for this.

• sometimes when a package / package body is opened or moved to, an empty code completion window (at least it looks like one) may show up. Sometimes one row in height, sometimes halfscreen,
    sometimes something in between. Empty. It goes away when you click on the border of the empty box an then outside it. But it shouldn’t be there at all. Happens once a day or once in two days, so i can’t describe what it might be related to.

Could you provide your detail steps to help us to reproduce this ?

• Ctrl+Enter on a type name that has some type evolution doesn’t work (This is also old one, from 6.x)

Could you provide example to us or Extract DDL?

Thanks,

Michael

Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:22 PM

To: sqlnavbeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [SQL Navigator - Beta Discussion Forum] SQLNAV 7.1 feedback

SQLNAV 7.1 feedback

Thread created by Andres

Glad to see improvements over 6.x.

Some minor things though.

• When object modified in another session, “Current database object has been modified; do you want to reload it?” When answer is no (or yes, no difference), Focus goes to output, but should
    stay in the code editor. When the answer is yes, the current line is remembered. However,

• If the connection goes away (usually because of exeeding maximum session length defined with database profile) then, if the first thing that requires connection to the database is not an ordinary
    sql-query, but Ctrl+Enter on an object name or Code search, the program hangs. This is from 6.x already. It got a bit better in 6.7 (did not hang every time), but worse in 7.x (tends to hang every time). This is why i have to use a navigator per connection

• if one connection dies and i forget about that, i don’t lose everything.
  • something wrong with code completion under other schema. When logged in as user x, i do “alter session set current_schema=y;” and select user y from the current schema combo. When i start
    typing in the code editor and expect user y objects to pop up, something flashes (appears and disappears very fast) so its of no use. Only if i start typing “y.something”, then the list of user y objects shows up nicely. But i don’t want to type the “y.”,
    that’s why i did the “alter session set current_schema =y;” already. The same applies when i modify the packages under schema y - code completion works only i if prefix everything with “y.” - which is nonsense.

• I have “Go to Definition for package programs” set to “Open Body”. When i type “package.program” and Ctrl+Enter, the body opens. When i type “package” and Ctrl+Enter, i still get the spec.
    In this case i’d also like the body to open (unless the body is wrapped or there is no body or the owner is SYS (most of the time this is wrapped, but not always))

• When i type “package.program” and Ctrl+Enter, the body opens. But if the package was not open yet, the procedure list in Toolbox => Code explorer is closed - an extra click needed to open
    it.

• sometimes when a package / package body is opened or moved to, an empty code completion window (at least it looks like one) may show up. Sometimes one row in height, sometimes halfscreen,
    sometimes something in between. Empty. It goes away when you click on the border of the empty box an then outside it. But it shouldn’t be there at all. Happens once a day or once in two days, so i can’t describe what it might be related to.

Andres

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from SQL Navigator - Beta
notifications altogether.

SQL Navigator - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

* I have "Go to Definition for package programs" set to "Open Body". When i type "package.program" and Ctrl+Enter, the body opens. When i type "package" and Ctrl+Enter, i still get the spec. In this case i'd also like the body to open (unless the body is wrapped or there is no body or the owner is SYS (most of the time this is wrapped, but not always))

"Go to Definition for package programs" just for the function or procedure in package, that mean only work for “package.program”, so when you only type “package” and Ctrl+Enter will not work for this option.

I was about to suggest that maybe typing "package.", Ctrl+Enter could open the body .. but it already does :slight_smile: Super.

* sometimes when a package / package body is opened or moved to, an empty code completion window (at least it looks like one) may show up. Sometimes one row in height, sometimes halfscreen, sometimes something in between. Empty. It goes away when you click on the border of the empty box an then outside it. But it shouldn't be there at all. Happens once a day or once in two days, so i can't describe what it might be related to.

Unfortunately, no, i haven't found a pattern yet. It seems to happen randomly, quite seldom.

* Ctrl+Enter on a type name that has some type evolution doesn't work (This is also old one, from 6.x)

Could you provide example to us or Extract DDL?

This is false alarm. This is true in 6.7, but not in 7.1 My fault, works as expected, sorry.

One more thing. When i have more than 30 objects open (that is 4-5 rows of tabs), the active package tab gets a white row under it as high as a tab. The less objects you have open the wider the sqlnav window has to be for this bug to appear. And if i make SQLNAV even wider (i have dual monitor mode, SQLNAV usually sitting on one full screen. When i drag SQLNAV to be two screens wide), it (the active tab) gets 2 or 3 white rows under it consuming space (see attachment)

Andres

Hi Andres,

Thanks for your reply.

For your last issue about tabs get while row, i could not reproduce, in my envi

Could you have try to those steps and see if still have issue with while row ?

1. close SQL Navigator

2. rename registry key “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Quest Software\SQL Navigator 7.1.0” to " SQL Navigator 7.1.0bak"

3. rename folder “%appdata%\Quest Software\SQL Navigator 7.1.0” to “SQL Navigator 7.1.0bak”

4. now start up SQL Navigator again

5. Please make sure “Cancel” is selected when SQL Navigator prompts the import profile settings dialog

Starting with fresh settings . If this still have that issue, please send us support bundle files from Help->Create support Bundle file

BTW: all your issues which have been create story, we will try to fix it soon.

Michael

* sometimes when a package / package body is opened or moved to, an empty code completion window (at least it looks like one) may show up. Sometimes one row in height, sometimes halfscreen, sometimes something in between. Empty. It goes away when you click on the border of the empty box an then outside it. But it shouldn't be there at all. Happens once a day or once in two days, so i can't describe what it might be related to.

Unfortunately, no, i haven't found a pattern yet. It seems to happen randomly, quite seldom.

Happened once again. I dõnt't know if this could be related to the problem described by Michael in http://www.toadworld.com/products/sql-navigator/sql_navigator_beta_program/f/101/t/22209.aspx (SQLNAV-1667) - as the "window" is also modal - stays on top even if other application is activated. See attached file.
sqlnav_empty_popup.jpeg

About white row(s) under active tab - started clean, got the issue again already with only two rows of tabs opening tab no 18.

Hi Andres,

For empty popup, i think it was similar with the issue SQLNAV-1667) which you mention, we are eep investigating for this.

About white row(s) under active tab issue, Could you please send us upport bundle files from Help->Create support Bundle file? that will be helpful to us to find out the problem.

Thanks,

Michael

I did send the files, but maybe the address was not correct? What is the right mail address

Andres

Hi Andres,

You can attach Support Bundle file or send it to me by Email:
Michael.Luo@quest.com.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

i did send the bundle files to this exact address already yesterday. Didn’t you get them?

Andres

Hi Andres,

I get it now, maybe something block it.

Thank you, let us find out the issue with your bundles files.

Michael

Sent: Friday, September 26, 2014 2:43 PM

To: sqlnavbeta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [SQL Navigator - Beta Discussion Forum] SQLNAV 7.1 feedback

RE: SQLNAV 7.1 feedback

Reply by Andres

Hi Michael,

i did send the bundle files to this exact address already yesterday. Didn’t you get them?

Andres

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from SQL Navigator - Beta
notifications altogether.

SQL Navigator - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi Andres,

The first 7.2 beta of SQL Navigator is finally available (expires on 25-Dec-2014)

defect SQLNAV-1764 ‘Focus goes to output When object modified in another session’ has been fixed.

Find download links from: www.toadworld.com/…/default.aspx

Thanks,

Michael

and defect SQLNAV-1767 ‘Code Explorer node was not expand when package not in opened’ has been fixed too