Toad World® Forums

SQLNAV resources consumed

Hello all

I am using Vista and the latest BETA.

CPU:
Why having during a big session work with SQL nav without having a search/compile/query running (I mean all the sessions are not doing anything) and working in another program I can see SQL navigator spending CPU time, sometimes > 40% ?

Memory:
When starting SQLNAv and then opening the formatter (because the dll its only load at take time) Sql nav uses almost 20Mb of memory…opening a session gets to 25Mb, a second gets 28Mb…closing both do not get it below 28Mb…opening again those sessions and 2 others gets to about 33Mb and closing still uses aprox. 33Mb.
(I am just opening a connection and not doing anything else).

Does anyone else also gets this kind of beaviour?

Thanks
Filipe

Filipe,

I run the latest beta under XP 64-bit, on a P4 HT 3.2GHz, and I normally see about 1-6% CPU usage of SQL Navigator while essentially doing nothing (having 3 sessions open, though). Winamp, when paused, takes about the same amount of CPU, so I don’t worry about it too much. 40% is a wee bit on the heavy side - how many connections are open? What CPU are we talking about?

As for memory usage: having used SQL Navigator a few hours, several connections made and severed, its memory usage is now about 60MiB (private bytes, that is - virtual bytes is just under 200Mib). I find I can live with that - what’s the price of a gigabyte these days?

I am using Vista 32 bits

today I had 2 SQLNavigators opened and I got the above (process.jpg) without having any task executing in any of the SQLNavigators :frowning:
After I close one of them the other process got to 50- 52% (still with any task…only opened packages (5) and queries results (3))
I closed all the sessions in that SQLNav and still got 47% used in sqlnav (see process1.jpg)

I’m the only one that sometimes get this kind of behavior ?

Thanks
Filipe

PS; I closed that SQLNAv and the process was still there! spending the CPU
I had to kill it.

Message was edited by: Fsilva
process.jpeg

I am using Vista 32 bits

today I had 2 SQLNavigators opened and I got the above (process.jpg) without having any task executing in any of the SQLNavigators :frowning:
After I close one of them the other process got to 50- 52% (still with any task…only opened packages (5) and queries results (3))
I closed all the sessions in that SQLNav and still got 47% used in sqlnav (see process1.jpg)

I’m the only one that sometimes get this kind of behavior ?

Thanks
Filipe

PS; I closed that SQLNAv and the process was still there! spending the CPU
I had to kill it.

Message was edited by: Fsilva
process1.jpeg

Hi filipe,

I tested this case against Vista and didn’t see any problem. When I closed Nav, the memory usage durged to 100% but in a few seconds, it goes down to 2%. The processes also disappear from the list as expected.

Gwen

Hi gwen

Yes normally the usage of process when doing nothing in 0-1% and when you close it the process is gone but sometimes I get that strange situation.

Next time I will try to see if I can get something out the SQLMonitor.

Regards