Toad World® Forums

Still no Toad Insight (Intellisense) in update statements?

Kelly, Can you find out if the team is still planning to add Toad Insight (intellisense) to Update statements?

SELECT c. <<< here you will get a list of fields in the customer table

FROM Customer c

UPDATE c

SET c. <<< here you will NOT get a list of fields – why? It seems like these structures are soooo close to the same…

FROM Customer c

Please find out if we’re going to see a fix for this or not.

I would like to add, does anyone know how to get reserved words to automatically pop up?

I quit using Toad years ago for writing code because I use the SSMS add-on RedGate SQL Prompt. SQL Prompt let me write code much more quickly and accurately without mistakes and then I just paste into Toad for the data grid functionally. But the Toad complete does not appear to work with reserved words.

With SQL Prompt, I start typing “Se” and I get this.

So I type “se” press tab and select gets inserted with a space. When I get to the “where”, “order by” “having” etc, etc, I get similar suggestions that only require me to type on or two characters and I have something that is ready to select.

Does code complete have this ability?

Thanks in advance.

Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 8:15 AM

To: toadssbeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for SQL Server - Beta Discussion Forum] Still no Toad Insight (Intellisense) in update statements?

Still no Toad Insight (Intellisense) in update statements?

Thread created by DarrenM

Kelly, Can you find out if the team is still planning to add Toad Insight (intellisense) to Update statements?

SELECT c. <<< here you will get a list of fields in the customer table

FROM Customer c

UPDATE c

SET c. <<< here you will NOT get a list of fields – why? It seems like these structures are soooo close to the same…

FROM Customer c

Please find out if we’re going to see a fix for this or not.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for SQL Server - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for SQL Server - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Matt, for what it’s worth I use a hack for that.

Toad allows you to define auto-replace text, so as long as you don’t happen to have any fields called “SE” or don’t use “SE” as an alias, you could have a simple auto-replace that automatically converts “se” (then hit space) into the word SELECT.

I realize that’s not what you’re asking for but it’s a quick and easy hack.

I do the same for auto-capitalization of keywords as I go.

Using this approach typing a statement like this:

update sometable set somefield = convert(numeric(18,2), someotherfield)

Automatically gets formatted as-I-type to:

UPDATE sometable SET somefield = CONVERT(numeric(18,2), someotherfield)

Yes, sure I could use the code formatter after the fact but I find this replace as I go much nicer to work with.

Hi Darran,

Thanks. I try this simple update statement, it works now.

But still have problem with ‘inner join’ .

The problem you mention before:http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-sql-server/toad_for_sql_server_beta_program/f/87/t/22977

TSS-755 still as Open. We sorry we haven't fix it yet. I move it up in bug fix schedule.

Best Regards,

Kelly