Toad World® Forums

System.NullReferenceException on using Schema Compare

Hi, I am getting the following exception when I attempt to run a schema compare:

System.NullReferenceException
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stack Trace:
at Quest.Schema.MSSQL.Model.MSRefFieldConverter.GetRefFieldName(SearchLevels1 searchLevelsId) at Quest.Schema.Common.ObjectProperties.Properties.PairModel.RefFieldConverter.Convert(PropertyValue1 value)
at Quest.Schema.Common.ObjectProperties.Properties.PairModel.Compare.Strategies1.DefaultRefField[TValue](PropertyValue1 source, PropertyValue1 target, PairController controller, TCompareContext context) at Quest.Schema.Common.ObjectProperties.Properties.PairModel.Property2.Compare(IPropertyValue source, IPropertyValue target, PairController controller, TCompareContext context)
at Quest.Schema.Common.Types.PairModel.Common.ComparePropertiesMethods.CompareProperties[TCompareContext,TPairController,TPairConstructContext](TPairController controller, TCompareContext context, FilterList2 ignoreProperties) at Quest.Schema.Common.Types.PairModel.Common.CombinePairsMethods.FillChildrenAndCompareCalculate[TCompareContext,TPairController,TPairConstructContext](ICallBack callback, TPairController parentController, TPairConstructContext context, TCompareContext compareContext) at Quest.Schema.Common.Types.PairModel.MainType3.FillChildrenAndCompare(ICallBack callback, TPairController controller, TPairConstructContext context, TCompareContext compareContext)
at Quest.Schema.Common.Types.PairModel.Common.CombinePairsMethods.FillChildrenAndCompareAggregate[TCompareContext,TPairController,TPairConstructContext](ICallBack callback, TPairController parentController, TPairConstructContext context, TCompareContext compareContext)
at Quest.Schema.Common.Types.PairModel.MainType3.FillChildrenAndCompare(ICallBack callback, TPairController controller, TPairConstructContext context, TCompareContext compareContext) at Quest.Schema.Common.Types.PairModel.Common.CombinePairsMethods.FillChildrenAndCompareAggregate[TCompareContext,TPairController,TPairConstructContext](ICallBack callback, TPairController parentController, TPairConstructContext context, TCompareContext compareContext) at Quest.Schema.Common.Types.PairModel.MainType3.FillChildrenAndCompare(ICallBack callback, TPairController controller, TPairConstructContext context, TCompareContext compareContext)
at Quest.Schema.Common.Types.PairModel.Common.CombinePairsMethods.FillChildrenAndCompareAggregate[TCompareContext,TPairController,TPairConstructContext](ICallBack callback, TPairController parentController, TPairConstructContext context, TCompareContext compareContext)
at Quest.Schema.Common.Types.PairModel.MainType`3.FillChildrenAndCompare(ICallBack callback, TPairController controller, TPairConstructContext context, TCompareContext compareContext)
at Quest.Schema.MSSQL.Compare.SinglePairModel.MSSinglePairModelLoader.Load(ICallBack callback)
at Quest.Schema.MSSQL.Modules.CompareModules.CompareModule.RunProcess(ICallBack callback)
at Quest.Schema.Common.OnionMechanism.Modules.Module.RunAsync(ICallBack callback, Object[] args)

Hi David,
from the stack trace I see that you have this exception on compare source and target databases, right (not on opening or generating synchronization script)? If so, can you please get snapshots for both of them and send it to me for further investigation. You can get DB snapshot from ‘Get Schema Snapshot…’ item from Object Explorer context menu on database.

And another question - do you login as SA or as limited user? If you connecting as limited user please be sure that you have VIEW DEFINITION permission on these databases.

thanks,
Alexander

GO

Thanks for the reply. What is the best way of getting the snapshot files to you; do they contain sensitive info or is it OK to post them here?

Also I am not connecting with SA, I am logging on with another user account, which does have the VIEW DEFINITION. I used this SQL to verify:

SELECT *
FROM fn_my_permissions(‘database_name’, ‘DATABASE’);

Message was edited by: david_687

It is up to you on how you want to share your snapshots - in private message to me or here (so anyone can access this file).
I can guarantee you that your snapshots will be used internally in our dev team only :slight_smile:

Hi, I cannot see anywhere where I can send a private message? Is there an option and where is it.

Any one any clues on how to send private messages???

Hi David,
sorry for the late response. Actually I can’t find this eature as well -) I recived private messaged in this forum some time ago, but can’t find how to write new message to user. Will ask for assistance.

For now you can send your materials to me: alexander.maximov at quest.com
Or send me a link for downloading.

Thanks.