Toad World® Forums

TAB does not work in table columns editor

In table column editor, if I edit the ‘Name’ attribute I like to use TAB to jump to the next column (‘Caption’ in this case), this really is an overall standard!?!

Return does not really help, because the focus switches to the next row. Even a new attribute is created if it was the last row, I hate this automatic behaviour too!

Another boring feature is, pressing ESC closes the whole dialog and rolls back all changes made. At least there should be warning message where I can abort if changes where made.

Is there another shortcut to achieve the TAB functionality?

Andreas

Hello Andreas,

Thanks for your feedback.

Entity Properties form | Attributes tab:
TAB jumps on the components of the form.
To move among the columns in the grid, please use the arrow keys on the keyboard.

Esc works like Cancel. To confirm a change or changes, please click Apply. - They will not be lost provided that Esc is accidentally pressed.

Regards,

Vladka

Hello Vladka,

if I edit a cell, then the right cursor does not jump to the next column. That is what I’d expect with TAB in this situation. In edit cell mode the TAB and cursor right does not have any function, but should!

In selected mode the right cursor does what I expect, thanx. But it’s also important in edit mode, I like to jump to the next cell and edit it with ONE key stroke. Now I need to use Return to finish the edit process, jump with rigth cursor, press F2 to enter edit mode again…

What do you mean with: “They will not be lost provided that Esc is accidentally pressed.”

Kind regards,
Andreas

Hi again,

I press F2 to edit the attribute name. I press the right arrow (right cursor) on the keyboard that switches me at the end of the text. - This is its function (as the End key).

Anyway, we will consider your suggestions - to confirm change and at the same time move to next column via TAB or right arrow. CR # 59 789.
Thanks.

What we suggest:
Press F2 to change the item, confirm Enter and use the right arrow to get to next column.

What do you mean with: “They will not be lost provided that Esc is accidentally pressed.”
I meant this situation: I change attribute name, caption and data type and press Esc. All these changes get lost. So, when I make more changes, I concurrently confirm them ‘Apply’.

Regards,

Vladka

You’re right, right arrow in edit mode is for positioning the cursor, so TAB is the way it should work…

The workaround for now: “confirm Enter and use the right arrow to get to next column”

Thanx.

Andreas