Toad World® Forums

TDM2 to TDM3 migration

I exported my TDM2 model to XML and then opened it in TDM3. Here are some observations. Using TDM3 version 3.0.12.155.

1. All of the views defined in the TDM2 model appear on all of the workspaces in TDM3. Since they don’t show up on any submodels in TDM2, they shouldn’t be in all workspaces in TDM3.

2. After spending a lot of time entering descriptions for all of my attributes in the TDM2 model, I was disappointed to see that none of them made the transfer to TDM3.

3. In TDM3 there is some sort of character overrun between IDF1X and IE notation. (See attachment.)

4. All of the names of my foreign keys in the IE notation have a zero appended to the end of them on the workspace display. Those names do not match up with the names on the index.

character_overflow.doc (125 KB)

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for your great feedback. Let me give some explanations and ask you some more questions.

1. There is a difference between submodels in TDM2 and workspaces in TDM3.
    Submodels depend on main model and cannot exist without main model.
    Example: Let’s say you have Main model and two submodels. Now try to delete the main model in TDM 2. -> It’s not possible.
    However, workspaces in TDM 3 are independent. They are all of the same level.
    Example: Try to delete WS that you named Main model. -> It is possible.

In other words, in TDM3, it’s not determined which WS is main model and which is submodel. Therefore, during the import it’s not obvious on which WS the views should be displayed.

Before you import .dmx file, please open the Settings menu | Options | Model | Physical model and see the Auto Complete Workspaces checkbox.
a] If you select it and import the .dmx file then, shortcuts of views will be displayed in all WS of your model.
b] If you clear it and import the .dmx file, shortcuts of views will not be displayed in any WS.

Current Solution:
AD a] - You can delete their shortcuts in selected WS (submodel): Model Explorer | Workspaces | XX WS | View Shortcuts | select all, right-click | Delete.

AD b] Right-click the WS (main model WS) | Complete from Model | select the shortcuts of views and confirm. - We recommend this way.

Solution we can offer to you:
If you create a new model in TDM3 from scratch and then add more WS, see that by default only the WS1 has the Auto Complete option selected. - This is set by default.
We can offer you the same for import from TDM2. - By default, it will be set that WS 1 will have this option selected and other WSs not.
Would this be acceptable for you?

Thanks for letting us know.

1. This is a bug in current Beta 3.0.12. I can confirm this has already been fixed for next Beta.

2. and 4. Yes, we know there was this problem in some of previous beta. However, it was fixed. We have tested it once again now, with Align options off and on in TDM2 and 3, with different notation, long column names, indexes etc. It seems to work fine.
    If you could send us your model for the testing purposes, it would help us a lot.
    If you can, please send it to: modeling@quest.com. Thanks very much.

Regards,

Vladka

Hi Vladka and TDM team.

For 1), the detail about all WS being at the same level in TDM3 is a subtle difference from TDM2 that I hadn’t picked up. With that said, though, it seems to me that since you can’t display views on any submodels in TDM2, you shouldn’t display them on any WS that gets created in the migration. You should only import objects that are contained in a TDM2 submodel into the corresponding TDM3 WS. If I overlooked the fact that you can display views on submodels in TDM2, then only import the views on any TDM2 submodel into the new TDM3 WS.

In other words, if you can’t display a view in a TDM2 submodel, don’t import it into ANY TDM3 WS. If it is on a TDM2 submodel, only import it into the TDM3 WS that is created from the TDM2 model. The TDM3 model should look as much like the TDM2 model as possible (if not exactly the same), right down to entity location and relationship line style. So…

1. In my TDM2 model, I have “Straight Relationship Lines” turned off on all of my submodels, but all TDM3 WS have it turned on.

I would love to send in my model for your testing purposes but I can not. I attempt to duplicate things in a generic model where possible so that I can send that in when necessary.

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for your remarks.

AD1) A big difference between TDM2 and TDM3 concerning the views is that they can be graphically displayed in TDM3. In TDM2, it is not possible, therefore users are not able to see the views in any submodel and main model either. In TDM2, views are stored among text objects.

Many TDM2 users wanted to have the views displayed graphically. I think the solution we suggest is good. - After the import, views will be graphically displayed only in WS1 by default. (WS1 is meant as main model.) - I will create a CR for this.

AD5) Unfortunately, the Straight Relationship Lines option is not available in TDM 3 for now. However, we will add it (already entered as CR # 37 060) and will take it into consideration during the TDM2 model import.
At the moment, I’m afraid, you have to add break points to your relationship lines.
Thanks for your patience.

If you have any questions, please write me back. Thanks.

Regards,
Vladka

1. Upon further inspection of my TDM2 model, I don’t have any views defined. (See attachment). I don’t know where all of the views came from when I migrated it to TDM3 3.0.11.11. I generated the SQL for all views in TDM2 and nothing was generated.

2. Also, since there don’t appear to be any views declared in the TDM2 model, I don’t understand why all of the views in TDM3 are set to “generate”. Is an object’s “generate” property migrating from TDM2 to TDM3? After deleting the shortcuts to the views on a workspace, the views still appear on the WS, but I can’t double click on them. Trying to move a view generates an AV, also in the attachment. I finally deleted the view form the model completely, but it’s still there.

3. I ran model verfication in TDM2 and it reported no errors or warnings. I ran a model verification on the TDM3 model and it gave me a whole bunch of warnings. It looks like anything that I declared as a foreign key or a macro name in TDM2 isn’t coming across correctly.

4. The lack of straight relationship lines and relationship anchor position fixed to the center of an enttity are also real problems for me.

Unless I have absolutely no choice, I won’t be able to go to TDM3 until these 4 issues (in addition to attribute comment migration) are resolved. My model is too broken in TDM3 and it’s too much work to do it over.
tdm2_text_obj.doc (111 KB)

For #2, I saved, closed, and opened the model and the delete views no longer display. Related to ‘undo’?

Probably worth noting: The TDM2 model was reverse engineered from an Access database and converted to MS SQL. Yet another variable to throw into the equation.

Hello Bruce,

It’s a real mystery.

1. In TDM2, I have Model1 where there are no views. I import it to TDM3. There are no views in TDM3 model.

I have Model2 where there are several views. I import it to TDM3. The views are imported properly. I can move them, remove them, delete… No problem occurs.

It is really strange. I have tested it on several models, for Oracle 10g and SQL Server, also defined other text objects to see the result. I imported them to TDM3 3.0.11.11 and no problem occured.

I know you cannnot send us your model. However, could you please try to simulate the problem on other simple model?

1. “Generate” property migration. At the moment, the “Generate” property of only entities migrates. However, thank you for your notification. We will do it for Views as well. CR # 37 366.

2. We have tested this properly. We haven’t encountered the problem you report. During the import, macros are converted to object names.

3. We hope to add the Straight Relationship Lines option soon.

4. Another mystery. Descriptions (comments) and notes of entities and attributes are imported properly. Please see the appropriate tabs in the Attribute/Entity Properties dialog.
    There’s one difference between TDM2 and TDM3. When you point your mouse cursor at the attribute in TDM3, notes are displayed in the pop-up.

To sum up, Bruce, we’d like to recommend you to do complete uninstall of TDM3 (clear up registry if possible) and install it again. Possibly, packages were mixed up, or I don’t know. Please try to do it.
If the problems remain, I’m afraid, we will need to check out your model (or at least a piece of your model where the problem occurs).

Thanks very much!

Vladka

I went back and completely uninstalled TDM3. Then I rebooted (since I hadn’t done that in a couple of days) and installed TDM3 again. This time I didn’t plug in my TDM2 license key. I exported the model from TDM2 to XML again and opened it with TDM3. No more views. I am not EVEN going to try to figure out what happened there.

I found the attribute comments, although they don’t show up when I hover over them in the WS.

The text the index and foreign keys are still garbled when displaying IDF1X. When displaying the IE notation, my foreign keys have the number 0 appended to the end of the name. (I think you said these issues were fixed.)

When I open the model in TDM3, it opens with attributes displayed, but there aren’t any attributes in the entity boxes. If I change the display to ‘entities’ then back to ‘attributes’, then the attributes show up in the entities.

This checks off a couple of the issues from the previous message.

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for reinstalling the product.

1. Views problem - Great! I’m happy to hear it works properly now.

I found the attribute comments, although they don’t show up when I hover over them in the WS.

As I’ve written, notes show up in TDM3.

The text the index and foreign keys are still garbled when displaying IDF1X. When displaying the IE notation, my foreign keys have the number 0 appended to the end of the name. (I think you said these issues were fixed.)

Yes, I wrote it had been fixed. Unfortunately, we failed to simulate the problem. :frowning:

When I open the model in TDM3, it opens with attributes displayed, but there aren’t any attributes in the entity boxes. If I change the display to ‘entities’ then back to ‘attributes’, then the attributes show up in the entities.

I’ve checked it out. Again, failed to simulate it.

To sum up: There are still several unresolved issues. Possibly the problem is in the model. We would very appreciate if you send it to us.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vladka

I was successful in simulating the problematic behaviour with “entities/attributes” view.
CS2 -> TDM3

As you can see in the model in TDM3, first workspace was in CS2 with attributes view and the second one with entities view.

When you switch between these workspaces, display of the entity is different, but the “view type name” does not change, it is “Entities” all the time.
test6.dmx (11.4 KB)

Thanks for your model.
When I open it in TDM3, I have different Display Level item in the box for each WS, however the same look in WS - attributes are displayed in both WS.

I’ve found out that whatever display level I have in TDM2, in TDM3 always attributes are displayed (although there’s e.g. item Primary Keys in the Display Level box.)

So, you’re right, there’s something wrong with it. Migration of Display Level settings is not correct. After the import, the item in Display Level box does not always correspond to display in WS. We will deal with it. CR # 37 383.

Bruce, Arki, thanks for your help!

Vladka

Hi,

Just a quick update on the migration troubles (including CR # 37 383): They’ve been fixed and should be OK in new Beta 3.1.1.166.

Thanks for all your help.

Vladka

Hi TDM team,

I verified the beta and it looks like three bugs were fixed, one needs to be updated and a new one created. (See attachment.) Forgive me for not assocating these with your internal CR numbers. I can only keep track of so much at a time, but if I report a bug, I should test it, right?

Fixed:
The garbled text for index/key names in IDF1X notation appears to be fixed.
The display level (attribute display) is working better.
Internal macro handling/verification works.

Update:
The foreign key names still have characters appended. Instead of ‘0’, now the first name ends with ‘0’ and the appended number goes up from there.

New:
The imported WS names are not in the same order as in the TDM2 model.
beta_166_test.doc (616 KB)

Some new notes on the TDM3 model that I migrated from TDM2:

1. Double click on an entity in the workspace to display the entity properties. The dialog opens on the ‘general’ tab. Select a different tab on the dialog and close the dialog. Double click on another entity and display its properties. The dialog is back on the general tab instead of remembering the tab that was selected The property dialog should remember the previously used tab as it does in TDM2.

2. When using the drop down list at the top of the Entity properties, all of the entities are available for selection. In my opinion, only the entities that are on the WS should be available for selection. I will sometimes create a subset of entities on a WS so that I can work with that subset. I like having the drop down on the entity editor, but it would be better if the list were limited to the entities on the WS.

3. The physical data types were turned on in the TDM2 model, but they are not showing up on the WS in the TDM3 version. That setting is not carrying forward in the migration. Is that the intended behavior?

4. If I add a new entity to a WS, a shortcut is created on all WS in the model. Is that the intended behavior?

Hi Bruce,

if I report a bug, I should test it, right?

That goes without saying. :wink:

1. Update:

The foreign key names still have characters appended. Instead of ‘0’, now the first name ends with ‘0’ and the appended number goes up from there.

It is not a bug (it was a bug when there was always ‘0’). Explanation: The number at an attribute name corresponds to postfix of index.

1. New:

The imported WS names are not in the same order as in the TDM2 model.

The imported WS names in TDM3 Application View are listed in the same order as they are in TDM2 Model menu | Submodels. - In the order the submodels (workspaces) were created.
In TDM2 Overview Tree, the submodels are listed alphabetically.

In the future, it will be possible to select how you like to list the workspaces in the TDM3 Application View - by creation or alphabetically.

Thanks Bruce.
I’ll reply to your other notes in a moment.

Vladka

Here I am.

Some new notes on the TDM3 model that I migrated from TDM2:

The property dialog should remember the previously used tab as it does in TDM2.

Thanks. We will fix it. CR # 37 879.

When using the drop down list at the top of the Entity properties, all of the entities are available for selection. In my opinion, only the entities that are on the WS should be available for selection.

Thanks for this interesting idea.
Generally, the object navigator box (and not only for entities) refers to model, not particular WS.
We need to take into consideration the following things:
a] You can open the Entity Properties dialog not only from WS but also Model Explorer or Model menu | Entities dialog. Which entities should be available in the drop down list in these cases?
b] You can have several shortcuts of the same entity in one WS.
c] You have Entity1 in WS1 and also WS2. You open its properties dialog from WS1, leave it open. If you double-click Entity1 in WS2, the same properties dialog will activate. - It is the same object. - This is how TDM3 behaves by default.
We didn’t want to filll the work area with dialogs/forms that are identical.
(Please see Settings | Options | General | Allow One Instance of Form option that is selected by default.)

Thanks in advance for your ideas on this issue.

1. It’s a bug. We will fix it. CR # 37 880.

If I add a new entity to a WS, a shortcut is created on all WS in the model. Is that the intended behaviour?

Thanks for your bug notification. Please see the details below.

a] General information:

• A shortcut is created in the workspaces where the Auto Complete option is on. Please see the WS format.
  • For new models, it is set in the Settings menu | Options | Physical Model | Auto Complete Workspaces.

b] Intended behaviour in general:
WS1 in TDM3 is meant as Main model. Therefore the Auto Complete (AC) option for WS1 is always selected, no matter what you have set in the Settings menu | Options (- the settings defined here will be applied for all other Workspaces).
Example:
AC is off. -> If you add an entity to WS2, a shortcut of this entity will automatically create in WS1(Main model).
AC is on. -> If you add an entity to WS2, a shortcut of this entity will automatically create in all workspaces, not only WS1(Main model).

c] Intended behaviour for models imported from TDM2:
In TDM2, if you add an entity to any submodel, it will be created in the Main model automatically. However, if you add an entity to Main model, it will not be created in submodel. Auto Complete option for submodels in TDM2 is not available.
In TDM3, it should work the same way for the models imported from TDM2. - After the import, the model should have the Auto Complete on in WS 1 (Main model) and off in all other workspaces.

• And here is the bug. The imported model takes the settings from the Settings menu | Options | Physical Model | Auto Complete Workspaces, which is wrong.

We will fix it. CR # 37 883.

I suppose your situation is that you have the Auto Complete Workspaces option selected.
Possible solutions:

• Turn this option off in WS Format for each WS (except WS1-Main model) in your imported model.
    OR
  • Before you import the .dmx file, disable the Auto Complete Workspaces option in the Settings | Options. Then select the AC option for WS1-Main model.

Well, I hope I’ve managed to explain it so as it’s understandable (however, not definitely sure…) In any case, if you have ANY questions, please write me back. Thanks. :wink:

Regards,

Vladka

I am also surprised at the lack of support for the migration from DM2 to DM3. In addition to the problems that Bruce has identified, I am having a problem with Data Flows that I created in DM2. I can’t find any reference to the support of a data flow in DM3. Can I import a data flow from DM2 to DM3 and if so, where will I find it in DM3 once it is imported.

According to the comparison matrix (see the help.chm at http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1101&categoryID=29) DFDs aren’t supported beyond TDM2.

DFD is not supported in TDM 3.

Please see the Comparison matrix also here:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1064&categoryID=29
(General Features section)

Vladka

What is the reason that DFD’s are not supported in DM3? Is there any chance that DFD’d will be supported in a future version of DM?