Toad World® Forums

[TDP Beta 3.3.1327] [Export Wizard] "Toad has detected some symbols..."

I’m getting an error message when trying to build an Export Template because Toad comes back with this:

Toad has detected some symbols within the SQL indicating you might be using bind variables. Please define the following variable(s):
" OF MTHS ON SVC"
" OF NSF PYMTS"

These aren’t bind variables - they’re column names, aka AS “# OF MTHS ON SVC” and AS “# OF NSF PYMTS”

Seeing as Oracle doesn’t treat a # symbol within a “” as a bind variable prompt, why is Toad trying to? This is problematic.

If it’s quoted out, it should be ignored.

Oh, and it only happens when # is the first character after " since the following works fine:

“TTL # OF PYMTS”

Mnn…that is a problem. We used to support the Oracle replacement char ‘&’. This symbol needed to be used with and without quotes around it. We replaced it with the ‘#’. But I can see this is causing you the same problem.

I entered CR109018 for this. But it seems the no matter what solution I put in there can be an example of where is doesn’t work. In your case can you use a * for all the columns on that table as a work around?

SELECT ADDRESS.*, REGION.REGION_NAME
FROM QUEST_DEV.ADDRESS ADDRESS
INNER JOIN QUEST_DEV.REGION REGION
ON (ADDRESS.REGION_ID = REGION.REGION_ID)

Debbie

Unfortunately not, because this is a multi-table join and we only need selected columns from each table.

A better solution, in my opinion (if it’s even possible), would be to support an embedded command either in the SQL, or as part of Automation and/or Export Template that tells TDP that there are no replacement characters in the select, period.

Or some way of escaping the characters. Oracle supports these characters in the actual data in the column, so there has to be a way to get it to be ignored.

Okay, let me look into this further. It does look like the issue is only in automation. When you execute your sql in the editor it doesn’t ask you for a bind, correct? If so the problem is in automation only and we can do something.

Debbie

Correct - when I execute it in the editor, it works just fine and doesn’t prompt for anything.