Toad World® Forums

Testing SQL*Plus scripts

In my application I use the combination of SQLPlus and PL/SQL to complete a certain task. SQLPlus is used for creating fixed-width reports (through its SPOOL capability). PL/SQL populates a temporary table from which teh report is generated in SQL*Plus.

My question is whether it is possible to test a SQLPlus script in the Quest Code Tester. It is the SQLPlus script , not a PL/SQL procedure, that creates a file on disk whose content I need to test. Is there a way to do it in the tool?

Thank you.

Michael

Not at this time unfortunately. We are currently evaluating adding support for testing native SQL statements.

Toad does have a debugger for SQLPlus and it’s own SQLPlus engine for executing scripts. It also has a compare files feature which might allow you to manually compare files for correctness, but that wouldn’t be in the vein of true automated testing.

Regards,
Jeff Smith
Product Manager

Michael,

you might still be able to do this via the dbms_scheduler package:

– shameless plug from
http://www.orafaq.com/faq/can_one_execute_an_operating_system_command_from_pl_sql
CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE EXE_CMD(P_COMMEND IN VARCHAR2)
IS
BEGIN
dbms_scheduler.create_job(job_name => ‘myjob’,
job_type => ‘executable’,
job_action => P_COMMEND,
enabled => TRUE,
auto_drop => TRUE);
END;

– contents of c:\bla.sql

spool c:\bla.out
select * from global_name;
/
exit
/

– call exe_cmd from your QuestCodeTester script
begin
exe_cmd(‘sqlplus scott/tiger@demodb @ c:\bla.sql’);
end;

and read the contents of bla.out back to QuestCodeTester via the utl_file package.

HTH & kind regards
Frank