Toad World® Forums

tnsnames.ora file vs registry key 'tns_admin'

Hi guy’s,

some kind of teriffic tool you have. I only have found out about a cute little ‘problem’.
When connecting to a Oracle 9 database at some point you need to enter the details of the connection. But then it appeared: ‘Not able to load net service names. File tnsnames.ora not found.’ The detail of this error told me there was no tnsnames.ora in a particular directory ( [oracle install]\network\admin) when I copied our company wide tnsnames.ora to that directory and restarted the proces it found teh tnsnames.ora and all is working well now.

Now my question is the following: Is it possible to make TDM follow the registry key tns_admin in the chosen oracle HOME? And then, when there is no such key, search for the tnsnames.ora in the install dir of that HOME?

This is the procedure Oracle follow themselves too. The advantage of the company wide tnsnames.ora are obvious. With daily showing up new and deleting old entries in this tnsnames.ora you are being forced to make a renewed copy of ths file every now and then (with the hassle of forgetting to do so).

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Gr. Gerben de Vries

Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Now my question is the following: Is it possible to make TDM follow the registry key tns_admin in the chosen oracle HOME? And then, when there is no such key, search for the tnsnames.ora in the install dir of that HOME?

Thanks VERY MUCH for your suggestion! We will definitely deal with it. CR # 36 934.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Hello Vladka ( & team) ,

thanks for the quick repsonse.
Is it possible for me to follow the change request anywhere?
If so, how?

Thanks a lot,

Gerben

Hello Gerben,

All resolved CRs are listed in the Release Notes document that is published with each new release of Beta.
Please see:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/kbcategory.jspa?categoryID=29

If you think it takes us too long to resolve the issue, feel free to write me the CR #. I’ll give you an update on the issue. No problem. :slight_smile:

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Vladka