Toad World® Forums

Toad crashes with VPN connection

I use Toad to work with remote databases over a VPN connection a lot. Since moving to the 5.5.0.683 beta, I am experiencing regular crashes.

I have tried restarting Toad, rebooting my computer, and limiting the number of open connections to one and nothing seems to help this problem. My PC is running Windows 7 x64 with 16GB of RAM so memory is not an issue.

I cannot attach the support bundles as-is because they contain too much detailed connection information.

Denny

img6.jpg

Hi Denny,

I’m sorry you start experience regular problems with Toad.

Can you please let me know the answers on following questions:

• what is your prev version of Toad without such crashes?
  • is this crash happens to you while you working over VPN only?
  • how many editors usually you have opened in Toad?
  • list other document tab (not editors) you have opened in Toad while you are there.
  • what is the average number of connections you are connected to while working in Toad?
  • how much time it would take to crash (from the moment you have opened Toad from the beggining)?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Valentine,

When I ran the previous beta version, I did not see this problem. It only started after upgrading to 5.5.0.683

This problem only happens when I am out of the office using my VPN connection over a fast DSL line (10 Mbps).

I usually have 3-10 editor tabs open in Toad at any moment. But usually only one at the time is executing a SQL statement or stored procedure.

The only other tab I normally have open is the web browser.

I normally have 1-3 connections open. I have tried to limit my connections to only 1 at a time but I still have the crashes.

I can usually work with Toad for 1-2 hours before this problem starts. However, once it starts, it does not stop and restarting/rebooting has no effect on the problem.

I rarely reboot my laptop. When I leave, I will normally save all of my open files and then put the laptop to sleep so when i open it back up, I can pick up right where I left off. I thought that may have been my problem so I started closing all connections and closing Toad. I even tried shutting down the laptop. However, none of this makes any difference, I still see crashes when using Toad over the VPN connection.

Denny

Denny,

can you please let me know what do you mean by saying:
I can usually work with Toad for 1-2 hours before this problem starts. However, once it starts, it does not stop and restarting/rebooting has no effect on the problem.

how often the crashes happen to Toad once the problem starts? every 5min/10/1hour?

as far as I understand Toad works OK for you if you are not on VPN connection. Right?

Also can you notice any difference in activities you perform on VPN/local network?

Hi Valentine,

can you please let me know what do you mean by saying:
I can usually work with Toad for 1-2 hours before this problem starts. However, once it starts, it does not stop and restarting/rebooting has no effect on the problem. how often the crashes happen to Toad once the problem starts? every 5min/10/1hour?

I can work for some time (usually 1-2 hours) before the problems begin. This could be related to the DSL line or the VPN servers but I don’t see problems with any other applications that I am using. I normally have MS Outlook, Remote Desktop, Visual Studio, Excel, and other applications running. When Toad starts crashing, it will happen ever 5min or less. It gets to the point where it is continuous with 20 or more Toad error windows stacked up.

as far as I understand Toad works OK for you if you are not on VPN connection. Right?

As long as I am not using the VPN connection, Toad does not crash. Also, if I am only connected to my local instance of SQL Server, Toad does not crash.

Also can you notice any difference in activities you perform on VPN/local network?

I normally have several other applications open when I am connected to the VPN. I do not notice any issue with any of these other applications. I do not notice any general slowdown or connection issue. Also, I always use a wired connection to the DSL router so this is not related to wireless connection issues.

Denny

Thanks for details.

One more thing I wonder:
as from your definition of the problem I got following.
once you start working over VPN, it takes 1-2 hours to toad crash. it is not really possible to get toad back to normal work, toad keep crashing every 5-10min even if you close toad/reboot your computer. right?
the question is how do you do your toad works normal again?

and very last thing is - can you please send to me your action and exceptiontrace files? they are located in “application data directory” (go to Help -> About, there is the link to in the right bottom corner)

Hi Valentine,

once you start working over VPN, it takes 1-2 hours to toad crash. it is not really possible to get toad back to normal work, toad keep crashing every 5-10min even if you close toad/reboot your computer. right?
the question is how do you do your toad works normal again?

Once Toad starts crashing, it doesn’t seem to stop. It to does not return to normal even after I reboot so I just stop using Toad.

*and very last thing is - can you please send to me your action and exceptiontrace files? they are located in “application data directory” (go to Help -> About, there is the link to in the right bottom corner)
*Please send me an email at the address in my profile and I will reply with the files that you need.

Denny

Sent it to you.