Toad World® Forums

Toad for DB2 v5.6.2356 -- Executing an Explain Plan While a Query is Running can Freeze Toad's Screen Refresh

This may be a hard one to replicate but it seems to occur about 50% of the time.

Executing an Explain Plan in the same Editor as a running query will lock Toad (screen refresh freeze) and the results of the Explain Plan will not display until the first records from the running query begin to appear in the result set. If your query doesn’t return rows for 10 minutes then that is how long the screen-refresh freeze is. No user action can occur until the screen-refresh freeze ends. Please note that Toad itself does not produce any error mesage of any kind before or after the event. Once the screen-refresh freeze returns to normal, Toad functions normally.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I think I’ve replicated it. Not 100% every time, but repeatable.

To be sure I’d like to know your specific case. Are you LUW or z/OS? How exactly are you executing the explain? Explain tab?

Adam

I use LUW. Generally, I use the toolbar button to start an Explain Plan.

Hi Richard,

I created issue TDB-239 with development.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam, this issue may not be fully fixed. I am running b2525 and Taod will still freeze when running an explain plan on the SQL that is being executed.

Hi Richard,

Are the symptoms identical you initial report.

I’ll try to recreate the error. I also make sure the fix made that beta.

Adam

Adam, yes the symptoms seem to be the same. The beta release notes for B2525 say that this issue was resolved.

Richard Chouanard, analytics consultant

DB2 Database Administrator

*Payment Operations Management/Float Datamart

*Ph: 480-724-2142

From: Adam Ririe [mailto:bounce-adamririe_906@toadworld.com]

Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 3:04 PM

To: toaddb2beta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for IBM DB2 - Beta Discussion Forum] Toad for DB2 v5.6.2356 – Executing an Explain Plan While a Query is Running can Freeze Toad’s Screen Refresh

RE: Toad for DB2 v5.6.2356 – Executing an Explain Plan While a Query
is Running can Freeze Toad’s Screen Refresh

Reply by Adam Ririe

Hi Richard,

Are the symptoms identical you initial report.

I’ll try to recreate the error. I also make sure the fix made that beta.

Adam

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for IBM DB2 - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for IBM DB2 - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi Adam, the screen still freezes (not all the time, however) in b2567. This time I had an editor with one SQL statement in it. I ran it and while it was executing I clicked on the Explain Plan tab and then the screen froze. It did not unfreeze until the query completed about 3 minutes later.

Sorry Richard I’m not able to recreate this problem anymore. How long does the explain take to return? Do you hit the explain button immediately after executing the SQL?

The query I ran was about 3 minutes. About 5 seconds after executing the query it hit the explain button. This is when the screen freezes and does not unfreeze
until the query completes. Note that I cannot get it to occur every time either. There may be some specific sequence of events that needs to take place that I’m not remembering.

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:02 PM

Subject: RE: [Toad for IBM DB2 - Beta Discussion Forum] Toad for DB2 v5.6.2356 – Executing an Explain Plan While a Query is Running can Freeze Toad’s Screen Refresh

Reply by Adam Ririe

Sorry Richard I’m not able to recreate this problem anymore. How long does the explain take to return? Do you hit the explain button immediately after executing the SQL?

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

How long does the explain take with nothing else running on the client? Maybe I’m not reproducing your results because my explain returns too quickly.

I would say about ~20 seconds.

Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 1:27 PM

Reply by Adam Ririe

How long does the explain take with nothing else running on the client? Maybe I’m not reproducing your results because my explain returns too quickly.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

This is still an active issue. While running build 2831 I have had the screen refresh freeze multiple times when activating an explain while a longer running query is executing. The last few times this occurred the explain and the running query were in different editors.