Toad World® Forums

Toad for SQL Server Beta 6.6.0.441 - Suggestion of Code completion

I connect to a DB, open a new Edit SQL window to alter a stored procedure.

I type - ALTER PROCEDURE and code completion propose me a list of SP.

I select the one that I want change and press enter.

At this point in Edit SQL appear :

ALTER PROCEDURE <SP_NAME> @param1, @param2, …@param-n .

Why this ? I don’t understand how code completion works.

If I want to alter/change a stored procedure, probably it’s better if when I type ALTER PROCEDURE code completion insert/copy all the sql statement of the stored procedure, not only the parameters.

If in the editor SQL appear all code of SP now I can alter or change it without problem.

If I see only declaration of alter procedure and relative name and parameters how can I alter it ?

I must open stored procedure declaration in another window, see it and at this point return to my first Windows and alter it.

I know that there is a possibility to alter stored procedure via Object Explorer, but someone I prefer works in Editor SQL directly.

Same behavior in Toad Xpert 6.5 edition.

I stay tune for your consideration,

Best regards,

Sergio

Dear Sergio,

Many thanks for your support. For now, we also can alter the stored procedure in Editor directly. Like the attachments, when the cursor in procedure, right click, then we can see places to alter procedure.

1. Alter Stored Procedure in Editor. Like you know, procedure will show in another editor.

2. Generate SQL append to Editor. This can generate the Alter SQL script in the editor you are working on.

3. Or we can Generate Alter SQL to Clipboard. Then we can paste script to any places we want.

Hope this can help you! Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

many thank’s for your support.

I read your suggestion but i’m not totally agree with you.

If I open an editor SQL to alter stored procedure I write statement like this :

ALTER PROCEDURE @param1,@param2,etc,etc,…

Why must I go with the cursor on sp-name and press right button to select your suggestion ?

At this point I prefer open SP in object Explorer - Programmability - Stored Procedure and select sp that I want to alter it via right button without open any Editor SQL…

Repat from my point of view if I want alter/change a SP in a DB :

1. I select it via Object Explorer and alter it via right button.

2. If I type ALTER PROCEDURE … in Editor SQL I prefer to see code completion that expand enterely ALTER PROCEDURE statement with all sql code of SP generated.

What’s do you think of this ?

Best regards,

Sergio

Dear Sergio,

Sorry for this inconvenience. We will discuss for this and I will reply you as soon as we have any update.

Best Regards,

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

many thank’s for your support.

I stay tune for your reply.

Best regards,

Sergio

Hi Sergio,

Thanks. We discuss this in ToadforSQLServer team, but we think this may impact the other product of Toad. So this may need more discussion. I create enhancement TSS-819 for this. I will reply you once I have any update.

Best Regards,

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

many thank’s for TSS-819.

I stay tune for your reply when you have any update about this.

Best regards,

Sergio