Toad World® Forums

UE Open Object

When you click on the Open Object button in the toolbar on the UE, it opens a dialog window and automatically starts searching for all object types of View. I’m not sure why it automatically starts searching for anything. We have thousands of Views. It should pop up the dialog box, and allow the user to specify the Type and any wildcard criteria, and then click Search.

Thanks.
-Charlie

Good point. I’m vaguely recalling (the Open Object dialog exists since v4.0) that initially it didn’t do search automatically, but then we thought that it makes user do an extra click… Just another poor decision of lots and lots we made in the past…

I’ll look at the possibility to disable this behavior.

Roman

Hi Charlie,

There is actually preference to control this behaviour!
Please refer to the attachment.

It’s checked by default, but if you uncheck the option, it will not load anything until you tell it to.

The workflow for this functionality in relation to the UE is being revised. We may not list objects that cannot be edited in the Code Editor (new name for the UE).
But the jury is still out on this.

• Jaime -
    pref.jpeg

Good. This really helps. One thing though, by default, it seems to have the objects sorted in descending order instead of ascending. See attachment.

Thanks.
-Charlie
sort.jpeg

Hi Charlie,

We will get the soring in ascending order by default using column name (with sorting indicator), and users can sort in order/any column as the choose. This would be in the next build for you.

Thanks and regards,
Bruce

Well, it’s not as good as I thought. That works if you click on the Open Object icon, but it does not work if you click on the arrow next to it and use the menu. As soon as use the menu, and go on Procedures, it starts searching. For me, it pretty much locks up my SQL Nav, since I have 30k+ procedures. I’ve mentioned this before, but if we could set up a filter for this, that would be very helpful. For procedures, I only want the ones that start with RXL%. That would take my 30k+ procedure count down to a managable couple hundred.

Oh, the hot-key (ctl-alt-O) goes to the wrong place.

Thanks.
-Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Working on the filter at the moment as per your note. I will send you another update when this is done so you can try it out.

thanks and regards,
Bruce

PS: The kid has grown big now and look very cute. You must be a very proud Dad :-).

Hi Charlie,

I have discussed with Roman on the filter idea with the arrow key, we have some tech difficulties getting the filter feature into the popup list. What we will do now is to use the pop list from the arrow to display the last 10 opened objects, similar to what we have with the open file buttons for consistency…To search for object, you will need to to use the Open DB dialog where you already have the ability use the filter to get the objects names according to your need.

Hope that this would work for you.

The hot-key (ctl-alt-O) works for to display the Find Object window…Can you please let us know where the wrong place is :-).

Thanks and regards,
Bruce

I like the idea of the last 10 opened objects. I think that will be very helpful.

For the Filter, I was thinking something like the filter we have for objects now in 5.5 (see attached). This is much more user-friendly. Whenever I open a package body, it already has my filter without having to type it in each time I Open an object.

Thanks.
-Charlie
filter.jpeg

Hi Charlie,

We have made changes to improve to Open DB Dialog to save the objectname mask, column used for sorting, indicator (ascending or descending)…so next time when you use the Open DB dialog, your previous setting will be used as attached screenshot…

Roman will apply the same filter which currently used for the DB Nav Tree to the new DB Explorer tree Panel in the new Code Editor too which can handle better with large number of objects like your environment. Thanks for bringing this up, it is a very valid request…This would be in the next build for you.

Thanks,
Bruce
opendb.jpeg

Thanks. Sounds good. Will it save the Object Type as well? 95% of the time I need to open packages, but the Open Object defaults to View.

Also, can you add Package Body to the list of Object Types? I know you can just click on the open package body icon once it’s open, but since most of time you only modify the Body, it doesn’t make sense to have to open the Spec every time and then open the Body.

Thanks.
-Charlie

Hi Charlie,

In the Open DB Dialog window: The Object type will be saved as well. We also add the Package Body, Type Body to the list.

Now, The Code editor will open both the Spec and Body at the same time (the same apply whether you open Package or Body), the old icon has been removed, as we believe that work flow will be better for you. I have attached the screen shot for your reference, for Package & Type, there are 2 sub tabs (bottom of screen) named Main and Body.

Thanks and regards,
Bruce
codeeditor.jpeg

Looks good. If they both open, I’m assumming it will open to the subtab that you opened (i.e. if you open a body, it will open with the Body subtab in focus).

Just curious, why do you call your sub tabs Main and Body, instead of Spec and Body?

Thanks.
-Charlie