Toad World® Forums

UE Package editor

I have resently seen the package editor in the current version of TOAD. I really like the brackets that come up around the IF and LOOP statements. You can even collapse them. And you can collapse the entire function or procedure.

Also, when you click inside a LOOP or IF stmt, the outside LOOP or IF words are highlighted.

Is this something that can be added to UE?

Thanks.
-Charlie

Well, code collapsing (if that’s what you mean) is supported by UE, look for the Collapsing submenu of the right-click menu. Although it looks nice, I personally prefer the Outline feature - it gives you much better presentation, a ‘big picture’ of your code. All your LOOPs, IFs etc are there. The current construct is always highlighted in Outline, so you see where in the code you are. What’s the point in highlighting the LOOP or IF word in the text, if it can be a few pages above the current line?

I believe UE already has great tools and features that help you navigate in your code. I’m not inclined to mimic everything that looks nice in other products. Maybe someone can convince me, I don’t know.

Regards,
Roman

I couldn’t get the code collapsing to work. It is grayed out in my submenu and I don’t know how get it to activate.

I think you should take another look at the TOAD editor. It gives you a high-level view of all the functions and procedures on the left (in the browser pane), but in addition, the part I think is very helpful, is the brackets drawn in the code editor around the LOOPS and IF statements. Then you can collapse or expand a section by clicking on the [-] or [+]. I’ve attachached a screenshot showing what I mean.

You’re right, if the loop or If stmt spans several pages, it really does not do you much good. But if it is within a page, it seems like it would be helpful.

Thanks.
-Charlie
editor.jpeg

Code collapsing is enabled when you’re editing a procedure, function or package body.

I’ll have a look at TOAD’s editor and you can be sure we’ll borrow any ideas we’ll find useful. However, I still don’t think that we should start working on this now - I thought what we already have is a big leap compared with the old editor. We can consider further enhancements once 6.0 is out.

Regards,
Roman