Toad World® Forums

Unable to use Xpert Tunining

Hi,

I had Standard Edition installed. Used Product Authorisation to use trial key that gives access to all options but SQL Tuning in Tools is stilled greyed out. Tried everything including de-installing of beta 707

Vadim

Hi Vadim,
If you launch any SQL editor (and enter text), does the ‘SQL Tuning’ option become active/available?

I.e. if you are in the ‘DB Nav tree’, the SQL Tuning option(s) are grayed out.

Jaime

Hi Vadim,

Following up with Jaime’s note - SQL Tuning is an option add on to SQL Nav, it is not a standalone app, ie. the SQL Tuning only available in windows where there is SQL to be tuned such as SQL Editor, Stored Program Edtior. In addition, on the toolbar of these VOEs, there is also a button to launch SQL Tuning as well.

Thanks and regards,
Bruce

Jamie,

It does. At the same time iI must admit that it’s strange that I need to open ‘empty’ SQL Editor to have menu option enabled. At the same time when I point to a view or any stored program in DB Nav tree the menu option is disabled. Something is not complete here.

Vadim

Hi Vadim,

Agree with you that the current behaviour might confuse our users. The current version of SQL Tuning requires Nav passing a SQL Statement as a parameter when we launch SQL Tuning…ie. we only turn on the action where we can get a SQL statement

Post 5.5 we are expected to pick up the next generation of SQL Tuning which will functions as a standalone product. We will do more work in this area in the next release to make this SQLTuning option under tools available for you all the time.

Hope that the info would help .

Thanks and regards,
Bruce

Bruce,

That’s exactly my point. If you have ‘empty’ SQL Script editor SQL Tuning option is enabled. If you select Tuning you pass nothing to Xpert Tuner (see where the contradiction lies). At the same time if you point to a view in Nav tree at least you can pass view definition which is SQL statement indeed but Tuning menu item is disabled. My point is if it’s enabled from a View Editor for example it should be also enabled when the context is on view in DB Nav tree. The same should apply to triggers, stored procedures etc. It’s confusing otherwise

Vadim

Hi Vadim,

We will raise a request on your behalf to implement the lauching as per you outlined. We will tackle this for you in the next release - post 5.5

Thank you very much for your feedback and sending us the info.

Thanks & Regards,
Bruce