Toad World® Forums

Undo not consistent with Word

Ok, I brought this up before, but I don’t think I explained it well so I’m going to try again.

In MS Word, if you make a change and then move down the document, say clicking two pages down and then you decide you don’t want the previous change, you can “undo” and Word will “undo” the change and take you back to the last change location. If, you then decide you do want the change and “redo”, it will leave you at that location.

If you do the same thing in the Unified editor, it will take you down the document to the last place you clicked. I don’t think that this “standard” windows UI behavior.

Can you change this?

Jet

Hi Jet,

This change was in our last beta release. I checked it again and it worked as expected.

Gwen

It may be as you expect, but it’s not what anyone who uses Word would expect. The application should keep you where the last action takes place and, when you do a “redo” it should leave where the redo takes place, not jump you back to where the cursor was before you did the undo.

Maybe I’m not explaining this properly. But, try copy and pasting into Word a large file and do the undo, redo (after repositioning the cursor) I think you’ll see the difference in how the two products handle the situation.

Jet

Hi Jet,

When I said ‘as expected’, I meant ‘as specified by you above’. I remembered you raising this issue before and back then I could reproduce the problem and see the difference between Words and the Code Editor. This is no longer the case. My steps are:

• Open a long script
  • Add some random characters at the top
  • Scroll to the bottom and put the cursor there
  • Alt+backspace to undo
  • It takes the focus to the top and perform a redo
  • Shift+alt+backspace to redo
  • The cursor is still at the top and undo is performed

Gwen

When I do the shift/alt/backspace, it jumps back to the bottom of the file. Always. The cursor always goes back to where you left it when you do a “redo”.

Not sure what you’re doing different, but it’s very annoying. We have to be doing something different.

Can anyone else cause it to do what I’m saying?

Jet

Is this EVER going to be fixed? It is SOOOOO frustrating that it doesn’t work right. PLEASE fix this.

Jet

Hi Jet,

Finally managed to reproduce the issue. I have raised a CR for it.

Gwen