Toad World® Forums

Users and Usergroups - Question on how used and how to secure the model

In my environment I have created several workspaces under one Model… The intent here is to send out the model to the customers in three forms

• Print out from HP DesignJet 500
  • PNG file from printout of workspaces
  • TXP Model file (VLCS.txp) ( However I want to secure the TXP file)
    Needless to say I look at the User and Usergroup capabilities as documented and I am just wondering if you are adjusting the database via the model or is there something else more creative going going on… What I would want is the ability for Users to use the workspaces in a model and then be able to save the workspace as another workspaces but never be able to change what I want to call the static or Golden Image… Therefore, I would like to open a dialogue here on what is truly happening with the users. For I am considering a NFR on model usage by others from a model security point of view. I really do not want others to touch the cow and make the old girl dry up.
    Hank FreemanContract Data /Systems Architect | Video Gaming SystemsScientific Games International1500 Bluegrass Lakes Parkway ** | Alpharetta, GA 30004**
    Font Control _004.png

Hi Hank,

Let me explain:
Users and User Groups in TDM only represent database objects (they stand only for databases).

Access and security for workspaces -

to use the workspaces in a model and then be able to save the workspace as another workspaces but never be able to change what I want to call the static or Golden Image…

Let’s imagine the following:
Workspaces are locked for another user who has an option to save the WS as another workspace, which he can modify. What modifications should be allowed?
WS format options - yes, no problem as they refer only to the WS.
However, what if the user adds a new object to the WS (e.g. entity) or edit properties of object? Workspaces are parts of one model. If a new entity is added to WS, it appears in Model Explorer (that relate to all WS) and shortcut of the entity display on other workspaces (e.g. All Items). - Although you had this WS locked.
Do you have any suggestions/ideas how to solve it? Please write us how you would expect TDM to behave in this case.

Thanks very much for your ideas.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team