Toad World® Forums

Using TDM2 XML model in TDM3

Hi all,

I have noticed several issues using TDM2 XML model (.dmx) in TDM3:

1. Model view doesn’t fit to page properly (TDM3-XML-drawing_doesnt_fit_to_window.jpg)

2. I can’t change order of attributes - I can’t move them up or down. After clicking any of green arrows the content of attributes list is just scrolled to the top.

3. After changing notation to IE some information on the drawing becames unreadable because of entity view change. (TDM3-XML-key_marker_unreadable.jpg). It looks better after I open entity for edition, select Attributes tab, and try to change the position of any attribute - the entity drawing is then repainted.

The same issues appear after saving model as TDM3 file and opening it again.

Regards,
M.

Hello,

1. I’ve tested it and found out no trouble. Could you please send us the screeshot? More details would be very appreciated too. Thanks!

2. “…the content of attributes list is just scrolled to the top.”

Unfortunately, I don’t understand, I’m sorry.
In any case, I’ve tested it as well. I was able to change order of the attributes without problems. Just one note that you should know about: By default, PK and FK attributes are always listed at the top and their position cannot be changed. In TDM 3, attributes are ordered this way:
PK
PFK
FK
Other attributes - You can change order of these attributes using the green arrows.

Again, if the problem remains, could you please give us more details? Also, you can send us your .dmx file to: modeling@quest.com. It will be used for the testing purposes only. Thanks!

1. Yes, I’ve encountered the same problem. This is a bug. CR # 29 825.

Thanks again.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Vladka

1. Sreenshot? Why not… I should have attach screenshots to the first post :slight_smile: Sorry.

2. I mean: When you have a lot of attributes, there is not enough space in the attributes list (Attributes tab in Entity Properties). In this situation additional sroll bar appears at the right side of Attributes tab (see .jpg), so you could scroll the list of attributes to see and edit each of them. Having XML model opened, I try to scroll down the list of attributes and change the position of the last attribute. I select the last attribute and click on the green “up” arrow (arrow, triangle - doesn’t matter :)). Then the list jumps (scrolls) itself to the top, so you can see the first attribute, not the last. Tthe position of the last (bottom) attribute I try to move up is unchanged.

Regards,
M.
tdm3-xml-drawing_doesnt_fit_to_window.jpeg

1. Sreenshot? Why not… I should have attach screenshots to the first post :slight_smile: Sorry.

2. I mean: When you have a lot of attributes, there is not enough space in the attributes list (Attributes tab in Entity Properties). In this situation additional sroll bar appears at the right side of Attributes tab (see .jpg), so you could scroll the list of attributes to see and edit each of them. Having XML model opened, I try to scroll down the list of attributes and change the position of the last attribute. I select the last attribute and click on the green “up” arrow (arrow, triangle - doesn’t matter :)). Then the list jumps (scrolls) itself to the top, so you can see the first attribute, not the last. Tthe position of the last (bottom) attribute I try to move up is unchanged.

Regards,
M.
tdm3-xml-scroller.jpeg

Hi,

Thanks for the details.

1. We will see what we can do about it. CR # 29 838.

2. “…The position of the last (bottom) attribute I try to move up is unchanged.”

I’ve followed the steps you’ve described and successfully changed the position of the last attribute. I really don’t have a clue why it doesn’t work for you.
Nevertheless, the truth is that when you select the last attribute and click the green up arrow, the scroll bar jumps to the beginning of the attribute list. So you have to scroll down again and repeat it. As you can change position by one step only (at the moment, we still work on this), it’s VERY annoying.
So, in any case, we will deal with this issue. CR # 29 836.

If you have more ideas, please write us back.

Regards,

Vladka & TDM Team

Vladka,

I tried to move up attribute again. No success. Could you try to change the “www” attribute position in “customer” entity using model attached to this post, please?

Regards,
M.
hefaistos-10g.dmx (162 KB)

Marcin,

I’ve checked it out in your model and it works properly.
Please see the attached screenshots - compare the position of the “www” attribute in the Entity Properties form and the Customer entity in Workspace.
Screenshot 1 - starting point.
Screenshot 2 - the “www” attribute has been moved up.

Anyway, after you click the green up arrow button, do you confirm Apply or OK? If not, this might be the problem - the attribute will move in the Entity Properties form, however will stay in the same position in the entity in WS. In other words, the confirmation is necessary so as the change would be applied in the work area.

Concerning the trouble with the scroll bar, I’ve talked to Peter and he told he it had already been fixed for next beta release.

Please verify the issue again - with the confirmation, and let us know the result.
Thanks!

Vladka

Marcin,

I’ve checked it out in your model and it works properly.
Please see the attached screenshots - compare the position of the “www” attribute in the Entity Properties form and the Customer entity in Workspace.
Screenshot 1 - starting point.
Screenshot 2 - the “www” attribute has been moved up.

Anyway, after you click the green up arrow button, do you confirm Apply or OK? If not, this might be the problem - the attribute will move in the Entity Properties form, however will stay in the same position in the entity in WS. In other words, the confirmation is necessary so as the change would be applied in the work area.

Concerning the trouble with the scroll bar, I’ve talked to Peter and he told he it had already been fixed for next beta release.

Please verify the issue again - with the confirmation, and let us know the result.
Thanks!

Vladka

Hi,

I tried again, but result is still the same. I can’t move attributes.

Let’s consider the other one attribute - email. I open Entity Properties window (pict. 1), select email entity and then try to use green arrows. Then at the window tile bar additional string " - E" appers (see pict. 2, upper yellow circle) and button “Apply” is activated. email attribute doesn’t change the position. No addtional software action after clicking Apply. Clicking OK closes Entity Properties window but after opening it again, email still remains at its old position.

I’ve checked both aviailable 261 and 264 builds. The same result.

Regards,
Marcin.
tdm3-xml-cant_move_attribute-1.jpeg

Hi,

I tried again, but result is still the same. I can’t move attributes.

Let’s consider the other one attribute - email. I open Entity Properties window (pict. 1), select email entity and then try to use green arrows. Then at the window tile bar additional string " - E" appers (see pict. 2, upper yellow circle) and button “Apply” is activated. email attribute doesn’t change the position. No addtional software action after clicking Apply. Clicking OK closes Entity Properties window but after opening it again, email still remains at its old position.

I’ve checked both aviailable 261 and 264 builds. The same result.

Regards,
Marcin.
tdm3-xml-cant_move_attribute-2.jpeg

Marcin,

It’s really strange. I’m afraid, we need to ask you to do several tests and reply to a few questions.

1. Save the .dmx file as TDM 3 file and check out the problem. If the problem remains, could you please send the .txp file to us? Peter will have a look at it (checking out the tdm3 program structure of the file).

2. Try to change attribute order in another entity of the model. Is the result the same?

3. Does the problem occur also in entities that contain only a few attributes (3 or 4)?

4. Please create a new entity and add several attributes to it, try to change their order then. Does it work?

5. In the Customer entity, click the Keys tab and Edit the PK. In the PK Properties dialog, click the Items tab. Select an attribute in the Selected window on the right. -> The green arrow icons will activate. Please try to change the order of selected attribute here. (Note: The effect will be seen only in the dialog, not in ERD.)
    Does it work?

6. In TDM3, open another .dmx file (it can be a very simple model created in TDM 2) and verify if the problem occurs also there.

7. Did you do any other steps than the following?:

1. You opened .dmx file in TDM3.
  2. You opened the Customer entity Properties form and clicked the Attributes tab.
  3. You selected attribute.
  4. You clicked the green up or down arrow. -> There was no change.
  5. You clicked Apply. -> Still the same position of attribute.

Marcin, if you made anything before or during these steps in your model, please let us know.

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer these questions. I’m sure, we will manage to find the root of the trouble.

We look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Vladka

Vladka,

I’m in a dither :stuck_out_tongue: The reason of my problems was quite stupid. I haven’t noticed, that I had changed the sorting order of attributes list. Probably I had clicked somewhere on the list header, altering sorting order by mistake. When you are sorting attributes by name, you cannot see any change, when you are clicking green arrows, because names are still being sorted. In such case, the only possibility to notice changes is to hold and move “Entity Properties” window, so that you would see at the background the entity being edited in “Main model” window. But this is visible only after applying.

Humble suggestion: could you consider disabling green arrows when a program operator is changing the sorting order or displaying appropriate hint (in a yellow baloon?) when the sord order is changed and somebody tries to use arrows? Just to make TDM more “inattentive-resistant”… :wink:

Another surprise:
When I was doing tests with moving my crazy attributes, suddenly “List index out of bounds (-1)” error appeared to me (see TDM3-XML-err-list_index.jpg). I was working with the “customer” entity. I clicked several times on “down” arrow then several times on “up” arrow and repeated those operations also several times. Then I clicked “Apply”. After all this operations I could see the error mentioned above. I tried with the other one entity - at first “out of bound” was not been generated. After I went back to the “customer” entity and did several up/down operations, closed its properties and started again with another one entity, “List index out of bounds” appeared again. Since then I could see this message any time I clicked “Apply” after up/down operation in any entity in my model, regardless of the number of my clicks on arrows.

When I closed the model, an additional “Internal Error” appeared (see TDM3-XML-err-internal.jpg).

But this happened to me only once and I failed to generate those errors later.

Regards,
M.
tdm3-xml-err-internal.jpeg

Vladka,

I’m in a dither :stuck_out_tongue: The reason of my problems was quite stupid. I haven’t noticed, that I had changed the sorting order of attributes list. Probably I had clicked somewhere on the list header, altering sorting order by mistake. When you are sorting attributes by name, you cannot see any change, when you are clicking green arrows, because names are still being sorted. In such case, the only possibility to notice changes is to hold and move “Entity Properties” window, so that you would see at the background the entity being edited in “Main model” window. But this is visible only after applying.

Humble suggestion: could you consider disabling green arrows when a program operator is changing the sorting order or displaying appropriate hint (in a yellow baloon?) when the sord order is changed and somebody tries to use arrows? Just to make TDM more “inattentive-resistant”… :wink:

Another surprise:
When I was doing tests with moving my crazy attributes, suddenly “List index out of bounds (-1)” error appeared to me (see TDM3-XML-err-list_index.jpg). I was working with the “customer” entity. I clicked several times on “down” arrow then several times on “up” arrow and repeated those operations also several times. Then I clicked “Apply”. After all this operations I could see the error mentioned above. I tried with the other one entity - at first “out of bound” was not been generated. After I went back to the “customer” entity and did several up/down operations, closed its properties and started again with another one entity, “List index out of bounds” appeared again. Since then I could see this message any time I clicked “Apply” after up/down operation in any entity in my model, regardless of the number of my clicks on arrows.

When I closed the model, an additional “Internal Error” appeared (see TDM3-XML-err-internal.jpg).

But this happened to me only once and I failed to generate those errors later.

Regards,
M.
tdm3-xml-err-list_index.jpeg

Hi Marcin,

1. Thanks for these details. Yes, you’re right. The green arrows don’t work if you click e.g. the Name column to sort the attributes, which is confusing. We will deal with it. CR # 30 049.

To be able to change the order of attributes again, please click the first column. Then the arrows should work properly.

1. Another surprise - I’ve failed to simulate the problem, nevertheless, I’ve forwarded it to our testers. They will check it out too. CR # 30 050.

Thanks!

Have a nice day.

Vladka

Hi,

Here I’m with a quick update to the “List index out of bounds (-1)” error.

Unfortunately, we didn’t succeed to simulate the problem. We’re sorry.
The CR has been assigned the Cannot Reproduce status.
So, just to let you know…

Thanks for your co-operation!

Regards,

Vladka