Toad World® Forums

Version management

Hello Vladka, Vaclav and All TDM Team,

This weekend I tried to work with Version Manager. TDM’s file versioning is a little bit incomprehensible and unusual for me. Could you prepare movie containing more advanced versioning operations? The movie which is available in your library shows just elementary version management operations.

Why do you allow creating more than one revision having the same number? I can’t recognize it as a bug or TDM’s feature.

Why do you allow modifying and doing multiple check in/check out operations on a model opened in the second TDM instance after selecting Show Version (only to read)?

Best regards,
Marcin.

tdm3-release_number.jpeg

Hello Marcin,

Thanks for your feedback on the Version Manager!

TDM’s file versioning is a little bit incomprehensible and unusual for me. Could you prepare movie containing more advanced versioning operations?

There will be some changes in the versioning view + some other minor changes in VM. So, for the time being we will not make any new movie on this topic.
Nevertheless, if there’s anything unclear concerning the way how the versions, revisions are made in VM, please ask us.

Why do you allow creating more than one revision having the same number? I can’t recognize it as a bug or TDM’s feature.

Do I understand well, that TDM allows you to create two revisions e.g. 1.3? - This shouldn’t be possible. I’ve checked it out and failed to simulate the problem. I can only rewrite current version, create a new version or revision (under another number) or do not save the changes.
Could you please describe us how the problem occured? Thanks!

Why do you allow modifying and doing multiple check in/check out operations on a model opened in the second TDM instance after selecting Show Version (only to read)?

Check In/Check Out options are not available in the Only to read file that opens in another TDM 3 instance. Anyway, the Save option is available, which is definitely a bug. - If you click Save, the version in first instance will be overwritten, which is an incorrect behaviour. We will fix it. - CR # 30 787.

What I did (for better understanding):

1. Model.txp version 1.3 is checked out (locked).
  2. I select Show Version (only to read) for this version. -> Another instance of TDM 3 and Model 1.3 version open.
  3. Right-click the model item in Application View -> only Save and Save As options are available. Check In/Check Out options are NOT available.
    In any case, the Save option should be disabled. - It will be fixed.
    The Save as option enables you to save the version as a new file that you can work with comfortably, or save as a new file to any project in the Version Manager.

Explanation + other helpful info:
TDM 3 allows you to store in your project any files of any programs - e.g. text files, images etc.

You can select any file stored in Version Manager, click appropriate version/revision and select Show Version (only to read). This option opens selected version in appropriate program, e.g.Word, Notepad, Windows Viewer, Acrobat Reader etc.
TDM 3 models will be opened in another instance of TDM 3 in the Application Window.

If your file has an extension that does not associate with any program, it will be opened in the Version Viewer dialog. On tab Content of Local File, a text will be shown.

The Show Version (only to read) option comes in handy if you need to see a version/revision that is locked. Note: Concurrent work of more users in Version Manager is not available - for the time being. :wink:

If you have more questions, write me back.

Regards,

Vladka

Do I understand well, that TDM allows you to create two revisions e.g. 1.3?

A have created two 2.3.1.0 releases. You can see details at the attached screenshot.

This shouldn’t be possible.

Yes, that is the behaviour people usually expect on version management system :slight_smile:

I’ve checked it out and failed to simulate the problem.

Hmm… and I also failed to simulate the problem again. Do you remember my post reporting “List index out of bounds (-1)” error? Neither TDM Team nor me simulated that problem again.

I had another one technical hitch working on previous TDM 3 Beta build. After several undo/redo operations I got “the copy” of the entity. TDM assigned the new name to this copy. If the original was “Entity1”, the copy’s name looked like “Entity1 2:1” or similarly - I don’t remember exactly. It was impossible to remove this copy - I couldn’t delete the new entity from my model regardless of the method I chose. Furthermore, doing redo operation, TDM lost one of previously defined relations. Finally I got cheerful “Access violation” message. Unfortunately I had to go out of home, so I have no time to make screenshots and I haven’t reported the event to you.

Thus, duplicated release issue is the third strange behaviour of TDM, which may be classified as “Cannot Reproduce”.

What do this three issues have in common? I’m not the Windows programmer, so I don’t know if it does matter, but all those issues appeared on the slower machine I use to test TDM 3. It is PIII, 600 MHz, 512 MB RAM, running Win XP Pro. I have no such problems on Pentium M 1.73 GHz, 1,5 GB RAM. Sometimes, when I work on the slower machine, TDM is not keeping up with all operations I do. It looks like TDM is buffering all my clicks and responds to requests after few seconds. Is it possible, that during heavy application load, TDM is loosing some events, which causes error?

Check In/Check Out options are not available in the Only to read file that opens in another TDM 3 instance. Anyway, the Save option is available (…)
(…)
3. Right-click the model item in Application View -> only Save and Save As options are available. Check In/Check Out options are NOT available.

Yes, you’re right, but Check In option is available at Version Manager window. I can modify the model opened as “read only” then right-click the proper revision in Version Manager and make Check In operation. Which model does it affect?

Best regards,
Marcin.

Hello Marcin,

A have created two 2.3.1.0 releases. You can see details at the attached screenshot.
Whoops. Sorry, I haven’t noticed your attachment.
Anyway, I’ve forwarded it to our testers. They will do their best to try to simulate the problem. CR # 30 938.

I had another one technical hitch working on previous TDM 3 Beta build. After several undo/redo operations I got “the copy” of the entity. TDM assigned the new name to this copy. If the original was “Entity1”, the copy’s name looked like “Entity1 2:1” or similarly - I don’t remember exactly. It was impossible to remove this copy - I couldn’t delete the new entity from my model regardless of the method I chose. Furthermore, doing redo operation, TDM lost one of previously defined relations. Finally I got cheerful “Access violation” message. Unfortunately I had to go out of home, so I have no time to make screenshots and I haven’t reported the event to you.

Our testers will deal with this problem as well. Thanks!

I’m not the Windows programmer, so I don’t know if it does matter, but all those issues appeared on the slower machine I use to test TDM 3. It is PIII, 600 MHz, 512 MB RAM, running Win XP Pro. I have no such problems on Pentium M 1.73 GHz, 1,5 GB RAM.

Our programmers have discussed it. They do not think it is caused by slower machine. In any case, it also happens to us that we encounter a problem that we fail to simulate again. Or I come across a problem that my co-worker is not able to simulate. Nevertheless, for now it’s BETA that is available and our testers work very hard.

Sometimes, when I work on the slower machine, TDM is not keeping up with all operations I do. It looks like TDM is buffering all my clicks and responds to requests after few seconds. Is it possible, that during heavy application load, TDM is loosing some events, which causes error?

Yes, in TDM 3, there are some time-consuming operations, and we’re still working on the optimization of speed to make such operations (and also to go the application itself) much faster. Since the first Beta, we’ve managed to improve this significantly and we will keep working on this.

Yes, you’re right, but Check In option is available at Version Manager window.

Again, it’s an incorrect behaviour. We will deal with it together with the Save option. CR # 30 787.

I can modify the model opened as “read only” then right-click the proper revision in Version Manager and make Check In operation. Which model does it affect?

It affects the model opened in the first application, the model that is saved on a disc.
It doesn’t affect the model opened as read only. Nevertheless, the first application will not know about the operation and can execute the Check In once again.

We will deal with all these remarks on Version Manager, fix and improve.

Marcin, thank you for your fantastic co-operation!

Vladka