Toad World® Forums

Version Manager and Compare

Several Questions.

I have a decent understanding of the Version Manager. I have watched the flash video and have used the Version Manager in TDM2 and experimented in TDM3 Beta.

1. I think the Version Manager is coming along quite nicely. However I expect that I may be using our standard SCM system and may not be using the built in Version Manager. It seems that there is no way to compare 2 models not checked into the Version manager. That seems very limiting. Can I compare 2 models that are not checked into the Version Manager? If not it seems that I will need to work around this…or use some hybrid of my SCM system and the TDM Version Manager.

2)Will there be an expansion of the Version Manager functionality and Documentation? The functionality seems to imply a “Remote Server” login and Logout etc…how will that work. Is there a “Server component” or is it just another TDM3 running on another desktop. I can wait on this one…

Hello,

Thanks for your questions on the Version Manager.

It seems that there is no way to compare 2 models not checked into the Version manager. That seems very limiting. Can I compare 2 models that are not checked into the Version Manager?

I’m afraid, I don’t understand well. Anyway, TDM 3 allows you to compare:

• models - right-click the model name in the Application View or Model Explorer | Compare. The models don’t have to be included in the Version Manager.
  • versions in Version Manager. The versions don’t have to be checked out for the comparison.

Possibly, you’d like to compare versions of two different models, or of different projects…
Please let us know more details so as we can enhance the Version Manager. Thanks!

)Will there be an expansion of the Version Manager functionality and Documentation? The functionality seems to imply a “Remote Server” login and Logout etc…how will that work.

Yes, there will be an expansion of the Version Manager in the future. We plan to enhance it a lot.
How will it work? (provisional plan) - A project or model can be saved to any server. Various projects can be saved to various servers. Team members who have access to these servers, will be able to work with the projects concurrently - via the Version Manager. Each member will have his own user account created on appropriate server. To be able to open the project, user will need to open the Version Manager and log in to the server. Then he can start working on models and files of the project.
Team members will be allowed to work on the same project or file concurrently, however not on the same version/revision (while working with a version,
it is automatically locked).

In any case, it is a question of the future.

Regards,

Vladka

It seems that there is no way to compare2 models not checked into the Version manager. That seems verylimiting. Can I compare 2 models that are not checked into the VersionManager?

I’m afraid, I don’t understand well. Anyway, TDM 3 allows you to compare:

• models - right-click the model name in the Application View orModel Explorer | Compare. The models don’t have to be included in theVersion Manager.
  • versions in Version Manager. The versions don’t have to be checked out for the comparison.

Possibly, you’d like to compare versions of two different models, or of different projects…
Please let us know more details so as we can enhance the Version Manager. Thanks!

I was having a usability issue, you can only compare physical to physical and Logical to logical models. And the models you want to compare must already be open in the application view. I am used to be able to “Open” another model in the comparator.

Hello,

Thanks for your clear explanation. Now I understand.

I am used to be able to “Open” another model in the comparator.

Yes, this would be fine. We will definitely deal with this - CR # 32 759. (However, at the moment the priority is low - just to let you know…)

Thanks for your great suggestion!

Regards,

Vladka