Where to find description of new features in Toad 12.7 Beta

Release notes and help in Toad 12.7 Beta seem to point to the documentation for Toad 12.6. Can I find some desciption of new features anywhere, most importantly about the editor.

Regard Niels Jespersen

The new features are sent out and posted to the Toad World Beta Forum. The posts always go out as…‘Beta Released (12.7.x.x)’. Simply search for that term
and you’ll see all the posts.

Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 6:43 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Where to find description of new features in Toad 12.7 Beta

Thread created by njesp

Release notes and help in Toad 12.7 Beta seem to point to the documentation for Toad 12.6. Can I find some desciption of new features anywhere, most importantly about the editor.

Regard Niels Jespersen

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Editor:

The edit control (area where you type text) of the Editor and accompanying features like parameter completion, options design, etc. were changed. The Editor layout
and functionality is mostly as you remember it.

The speed of the control is faster, especially for large text. Previously the edit control was slower to accept keystrokes with a large edit buffer.
The new does not suffer from this.

The visual display of the control is cleaner and updated. Fonts are a little most crisp, transparency is supported for various styling methods, the
gutter looks cleaner, etc.

Column edit mode is supported. The first screenshot is before column editing and the second after. When a block selection exists (ALT+MouseDrag), typed
text replaces the selection on all lines in the selection. In this example I made a zero-width selection to insert a schema name before the table name in all of my statements.

Dynamic highlighting of the current block more clearly identifies matching tokens. Here the caret is within the “ELSIF” block and all keyword tokens
of that block and ancestor blocks are highlighted. Also, notice the folding indicator in the gutter is red. The current folding range is more easily identified.

The options dialog has been cleaned up. In prior releases many edit control options were buried in secondary dialogs and inaccessible by the option
search feature. These options have been flattened and no longer use secondary dialogs. Also, many of the internal details of lexing were surfaced causing unnecessary confusion and clutter. Now, only those options most users care about like syntax highlighting
definitions are found. In this screenshot you see the Font and Styling options and I’ve highlighted the other new pages for Auto Replace and Code Templates. Not shown is the Toolbars/Menu|Shortcuts page. In prior releases this is where you would define key
bindings for all non-edit control actions. Edit control key bindings were defined elsewhere making it impossible to easily identify conflicts between edit control and non-edit control actions. All edit control commands are listed there now… all customizable
key bindings in Toad are in one place.

The design better supports future expansion for features like Editor themes. In prior releases edit control styling options were stored on disk using
a proprietary file format that doesn’t easily support extracting some settings and not others. That file also included Code Templates which may contain sensitive data and/or have no relevance to anyone else other than the author. Toad 12.7 now stores styling
and lexer settings in a single XML file with no additional or sensitive data. It is now easy to extract and merge style definitions which paves the way for themes if there’s interest.

That’s pretty much the top-level overview. It’s still in beta and some features are under active development so tweaks and bugs are to be expected, but it’s very
stable and the list of known issues is pretty small. I encourage you to use it and provide feedback. If you do, check out the editor Behavior and Display options pages as you’ll find a few changes there too and the introduction of a few new settings. This
edit control is the same used by Notepad++ if you’re familiar with that application.

Michael

Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 6:43 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Where to find description of new features in Toad 12.7 Beta

Thread created by njesp

Regard Niels Jespersen

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails
on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

http://04j0.mjt.lu/o/04j0/040dac2f/gpyynske.gif