Toad World® Forums

Windows 2003 64-bit

I’m trying to run the SQL Nav 5.5 beta on a Windows 2003 Server Enterprise 64-bit machine. I’ve encountered several problems so far:

1. Install places program under “c:” and not “c:\program files (x86)”

2. Running using 64-bit Oracle client gives error - cannot load OCI.DLL

3. Running using 64-bit instant client gives error - cannot load OCI.DLL

4. Running using 32-bit instant client gives error - cannot load OCI.DLL

Please advise.

Bert

Furthermore, using the 32-bit client yields unable to load OCI.DLL eror (-1).

I’m beginning to suspect the answer is to revert to a 32-bit windows machine

Hi bscalzo!
Some questions for you:

1. What version of Oracle do you have installed? (32or 64 bit , version, full database install or only client).
  2. Check if oci.dll is placed into $ORACLE_HOME/bin and this path is included into your profile.

Regards Piter.

Hi Bert,

Thanks for your feedback on this.

SQL Nav 5.5 currently ONLY supports 32 bits Oracle client. and it will install into a non default x86 directory. We are having some issues with ODAC component which is having issue with installation dir which contain ‘()’ chars.

We could reproduce the issue you are having with 32 bits client with our 64bit XP OS here. Will need to try to find 2003 Server to check it out.
We will investigate further and get back to you soon with more info.

We will include 64bits Oracle client support post 5.5 release and we will it to you in our first beta build post 5.5.

Thanks and regards,
Bruce

My questions are up of date…

Ps I thougt that sqlnav beta supports 64bit os, what about 64 bit os with 32-bit Oracle installed? Should it works? Sorry for my question but haven’t 64bit win os, and i can’t test it. About 64 bits, I prefer Unix Os :wink:

Hi Bert,

The issue with 32bit Oracle client you identified, we believe it relates to Oracle 10g client environments where SQL Nav Home selection tries to unload and load Oci.dll and other Oracle dlls on the flight at run time.

In some of 10g client install environment, there are a number of steps need to be done after you install 10g clients in order to have oci.dll unloading correctly. Below is the extract from Oracle doc on the issues:

■ From Client Admin InstallInstead of copying libociei.so or oraociei10.dll from theORACLE_HOME/instantclient directory, copy libociicus.so ororaociic10.dll from the ORACLE_HOME/instantclient/light directory.That is, the Instant Client directory on the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, in UNIX, should contain the Instant Client Light data shared library, libociicus.so, instead of the larger OCI Instant Client data shared library, libociei.so. In MicrosoftWindows, PATH should contain oraociicus10.dll instead oforaociei10.dll.■ From Oracle Universal InstallerIf the Instant Client option is selected from the Oracle Universal Installer, thenlibociei.so (or oraociei10.dll on Microsoft Windows) is installed in thebase directory of the installation which is going to be placed onLD_LIBRARY_PATH. This is so that Instant Client Light is not enabled by default.The Instant Client Light data shared library, libociicus.so (ororaociicus10.dll on Microsoft Windows), is installed in the lightsubdirectory of the base directory. Therefore, to operate in the Instant Client Light mode, the OCI data shared library, libociei.so (or oraociei10.dll onWindows) must be deleted or renamed and the Instant Client Light data sharedlibrary must be copied from the light subdirectory to the base directory of theinstallation.For example, if the Oracle Universal Installer has installed the Instant Client inmy_oraic_10_2 directory on LD_LIBRARY_PATH, then one would need to do the following to operate in the Instant Client Light mode.cd my_oraic_10_2rm libociei.somv light/libociicus.so .

Thanks for bringing this up. We will try to get the info into our release note for 5. 5 release informing our users how to address these issues.

Thanks and regards,
Bruce