Toad World® Forums

'Client' and 'Server' Toad features

Does anyone use these?

What they do is enable you to install Toad on a server then run it from a client. It separates out the installation files into two different groups, putting the executable and DLL’s on another machine. The exe is run from a shortcut on the desktop which points to it.

The origin of these features is quite old. I’m wondering how many work this way.

We considered this option. But because of the fact that sometimes people work at
home or using Citrix, we decided for a full client install.

Groetjes,
Wim

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 16:04, Mark Lerch wrote:

Does anyone use these?

What they do is enable you to install Toad on a server then run it from a
client. It separates out the installation files into two different groups,
putting the executable and DLL's on another machine. The exe is run from
a shortcut on the desktop which points to it.

The origin of these features is quite old. I'm wondering how many work
this way.

Hi Mark,

Does anyone use these?
The short answer is “no”. We do a full local client install.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

We tried this at Home Hardware, but found it ran too slow because of the
executable on the network. We don’t use it anymore.

Ian Jackson

We considered this option. But because of the fact that sometimes people
work at home or using Citrix, we decided for a full client install.

Ditto on the “work at home” bit for me, via VPN.

What’s the advantage of the client/server install? I was thinking maybe for
upgrading, but there would still need to be some actions taken on the
client, correct?

Rich – [TeamT]

Disclaimer: I wonder if I should change my last name to “Eightyfive”.

Back in the day it was put in as a way to share common sets of certain kinds of files, such as unix job scheduler scripts. Those are put on the server. But over time we didn’t keep up with this. We nearly removed this for 10.0 but they wanted to research and see if this was being used much first.

I suspect it will go away for the spring release