Toad World® Forums

Combine query results into 1 record

Hello! I am new to this community and this is my first question posted in the forum/community.

I’m working on a query that will return multiple values for a record into 1 record. Here’s the situation:
Table 1

Operation ID

Description Update ID

Table 2

ID

User ID

Char Location

Length

Inserted Text

Date

A763X

ABC

12/10/2013

A763X

DEF

12/10/2013

A763X

12/10/2013

B43FC

Here

10/6/2013

B43FC

There

10/6/2013

As one can see, the link between the 2 tables above is Description Update ID = ID.

Select Inserted Text
From table 2
where id in (select Description Update ID
from table 1
where Operation ID = 1)

The above query will return 3 records (ABC DEF GHI) as expected. What I am trying to get is a query that will return 1 record with all the data from that field. So if I wanted results for the same Operation ID, I would like it displayed as below:

Operation ID

Inserted Text

ABC, DEF, 123

For some background, the particular type of operation I’m trying to report on for the users has 3 fields that must be filled with data. Even though table 1 does not show a third record for Operation ID = 2, each of the records will have these 3 fields that must be filled in. I would like these fields to be mapped into one record. The query above is actually part of a much larger query that is already pulling information from other tables. As an alternative or even better solution, can the 3 values be displayed on 1 records as 3 separate columns??

Thanks to all for their help and assistance in solving this.

Hi Tavi,

Welcome! And grats on your first post!

However, your question is about generic SQL and not Toad-specific, so you’d have better luck posting at the Oracle forums at www.toadworld.com/…/53.aspx if Oracle is the database you’re using.

In any case, if you’re using Oracle v11gR2+, check out the LISTAGG function in the Oracle docs. Otherwise, google “STRAGG” on the Ask Tom website at Oracle.

Good luck!

Rich

My apologies and thanks for the redirect.

Tavi - Like Rich J said, this would probably be better offered up on the Oracle forums, as there is probably a query for that. However, for giggles, and an attempt to reach out to my pl/sql roots, I thru together a little script that will do what you want. I’m sure your looking for an actual query, but sometimes writing a simple script can be just as fast and imo more fun :slight_smile: Replace the table names with yours, and run as a script - the results are sent to dbms_output.

declare

l_record varchar2(1000) := null;

l_prev_op_id number := 0;

l_counter number := 0;

cursor c_get_data is

select operation_id c_op_id,

inserted_text c_inserted_text

from table1 a,

table1x b

where a.description_update_id = b.id

group by operation_id, inserted_text

order by operation_id;

begin

for cur_rec in c_get_data loop

begin

l_counter := l_counter + 1;

if l_counter = 1 then

l_record := cur_rec.c_inserted_text;

else

if cur_rec.c_op_id = l_prev_op_id then

l_record := l_record ||’,’||cur_rec.c_inserted_text;

else

dbms_output.put_line(l_prev_op_id ||’ '||l_record);

l_record := cur_rec.c_inserted_text;

end if;

end if;

l_prev_op_id := cur_rec.c_op_id;

end;

end loop;

dbms_output.put_line(l_prev_op_id ||’ '||l_record);

end;

This might help (if you are on Oracle 11R2):

SELECT operation_ID, LISTAGG(Inserted_Text, ‘,’) WITHIN GROUP (ORDER BY operation_ID) AS xxx

FROM table2

GROUP BY operation_ID;

Brg,

Damir