ER Diagram Option on Table Right-Click

Greetings

I am a junior .NET developer that has recently started work at a company that use Oracle as their Database. They make use of Toad a lot, so I thought I better starting learning Oracle and Toad.

I have worked with MS SQL Server previously, so I’m OK* with Oracle, but Toad is proving a little more difficult.

I came to this website to learn more on how to use Toad effectively as a Developer. I am watching this video, but got stuck straight away!

The video instructor gets many options when he does a right-click on the table, e.g. (ER Diagram), I don’t get such options ! All I get when I right-click is shown in the screen-shot below:

Hi,

Can I see what edition & version you are on by going to Help|About and sending a screenshot similar to the one attached?

Also does your company use Toad Security, Database|Administer|Toad Security which can hide these options?

Same behaviour with your colleagues?

Can you access the ER Diagram option by going to Database|Report|ER Diagram?

Alan

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM, ciwan1859 bounce-ciwan1859@toadworld.com wrote:

ER Diagram Option on Table Right-Click

Thread created by ciwan1859
Greetings

I am a junior .NET developer that has recently started work at a company that use Oracle as their Database. They make use of Toad a lot, so I thought I better starting learning Oracle and Toad.

I have worked with MS SQL Server previously, so I'm OK* with Oracle, but Toad is proving a little more difficult.

I came to this website to learn more on how to use Toad effectively as a Developer. I am watching this video, but got stuck straight away!

The video instructor gets many options when he does a right-click on the table, e.g. (ER Diagram), I don't get such options ! All I get when I right-click is shown in the screen-shot below:

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General notifications altogether.
Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Hi Alan

Thank you for the prompt reply.

See screen-shot below for the Edition and Version number relating to my Toad installation.

As for Toad Security, when I navigate to Database > Administer > Toad Security I get the following:

This suggests to me that my company does not use Toad Security.

And Yes none of my colleagues can see the array of options that the video instructor can see.

Thank You.

Can you access the ER Diagram option by going to Database|Report|ER Diagram?

This is a long shot but can we create a new set of user files for you?

Utilities|Copy User Settings and Create a new set of user files

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM, ciwan1859 bounce-ciwan1859@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: ER Diagram Option on Table Right-Click

Reply by ciwan1859
Hi Alan

Thank you for the prompt reply.

See screen-shot below for the Edition and Version number relating to my Toad installation.

As for Toad Security, when I navigate to Database > Administer > Toad Security I get the following:

This suggests to me that my company does not use Toad Security.

And Yes none of my colleagues can see the array of options that the video instructor can see.

Thank You.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General notifications altogether.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Yep I can go to Database > Report > ER Diagram, though I see a blank, huge grid with no ER Diagrams in.

I am not sure what User Files are ?! What do they do? And what are they good?

UPDATE: I think I have figured out the reason! It turns out that I am in a different Schema and when I was doing the right-click, I was not doing it on the table, but rather on a synonym that linked together two different Schemas!

Is there a way I can get Toad to do an ERD on a Synonym that is linking to a different Schema within the same database?

The reason it’s blank is you have to add something to an ER diagram – they are empty until you drag-and-drop some tables from object palette into an er diagram.

Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 5:58 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] ER Diagram Option on Table Right-Click

RE: ER Diagram Option on Table Right-Click

Reply by ciwan1859

Yep I can go to Database > Report > ER Diagram, though I see a blank, huge grid with no ER Diagrams in.

I am not sure what User Files are ?! What do they do? And what are they good?

UPDATE: I think I have figured out the reason! It turns out that I am in a different Schema and when I
was doing the right-click, I was not doing it on the table, but rather on a synonym that linked together two different Schemas!

Is there a way I can get Toad to do an ERD on a Synonym that is linking to a different Schema within the same database?

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks Bert.

In the video, the instructor simply does a right-click on the table, then he chooses ER Diagram, and that generates the related ERD as deep as the referential integrity of that particular table is concerned.

RC on a table, not a synonym.