How to control name of synthesized attributes in Simple Model Conversion

I have two entities, each with an attribute ‘DBID’ (a per-row unique ID) in a logical data model.

These two entities have a one-to-one relationship between them.

When I use the ‘Simple Model Conversion’ feature to create a physical data model (for a particular database) - then the corresponding entities in the new physical data model have TWO copies of the DBID attribute (which obviously causes problems when you go to generate DDL and load into the database).

I would have thought that as part of the specification of the relation (in the logical data model) - I could control the name of the synthesized attributes in the physical data model, but I failed to find anything like that.

Please also note - that the ‘Validate’ function on the logical data model reported no issues.

Note - I also looked at the more general ‘Model Conversion’ UI, and I didn’t see anyplace there either.

Thanks,
               Lewis.

Hi Lewis,

Foreign Keys do NOT migrate in Logical models, but only in Physical models.
In TDM, in Physical models they migrate automatically as soon as you create a relationship (or automatically after conversion in your case).

Generally, in Logical model, only logical information is available. The relationships have only a logical meaning (-> FKs are not generated). However, in Physical model the information on FKs is necessary. Therefore when you convert LER to PER model, FKs will be displayed properly in the physical model. It is done automatically and you do not have to think of where you need to add the FK and do it manually.
In TDM, there is not any way to avoid doing this automatically or any option to set it or control.

You write about Validate function. Do you mean Model Verification (CTRL+F9)?
In LER model, there is not any reason to report the issue that you created the attributes. However, if you run the model verification in PER model after conversion, you will get error notification: Attribute xxx has identical name with another attribute.

How to solve this situation: Either do not create the attribute in child entity in LER model or use the Foreign Keys Mapping feature in converted PER model.
Flash movie on FK mapping:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1668&categoryID=158

If you have any questions, please write me back. Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team