How to get Home key to BOL on first hit?

Hey all,

Another silly question after a sleepless night: At some point, possibly prior to 12.8, the Home key in the Editor used to go to column 1. Now it goes to the first non-whitespace character.

Is this an option somewhere that I can’t find?

Please help an old man out on National Beer Day, won’t you?

TIA!
Rich

Configure Shortcuts keys|Home wrap to “Home”. I think this is what you’re looking for.

Hey Rich,

This has been happening for ages. If you press Home twice, though, it goes to column 1. For me, I like it working this way - it gives me the best of both worlds.

Blessings,

Phyllis

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 4:24 AM, drbubo20 bounce-urbantamas@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: How to get Home key to BOL on first hit?

Reply by drbubo20
Configure Shortcuts keys|Home wrap to "Home". I think this is what you're looking for.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician
Digital Products & Strategies, Cru | Data Sciences & Analytics
Office :phone: 407-515-4452

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Hey Phyllis,

I used to be able to quickly indent a block with a repetition of , but lately this wouldn’t work because I thought the double-tap of changed from acting like “Home, then first non-whitespace” to “First non-whitespace, then Home”.

After trying drdubo20’s suggestion (and figuring out I needed to check the “Use navigation keys as shortcuts” box), I can’t get the Editor to do what I thought it was doing. Part of the problem with trying to pick this back up after 6 days…[sigh]

Thanks folks!

Rich

Disclaimer: Rule #2: Double-tap.

Um. You know you can select an entire block and press and it will indent the whole thing, right? And to unindent...

:slight_smile:

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Rich J. bounce-rjesse@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by Rich J.
Hey Phyllis,

I used to be able to quickly indent a block with a repetition of , but lately this wouldn't work because I thought the double-tap of changed from acting like "Home, then first non-whitespace" to "First non-whitespace, then Home".

After trying drdubo20's suggestion (and figuring out I needed to check the "Use navigation keys as shortcuts" box), I can't get the Editor to do what I thought it was doing. Part of the problem with trying to pick this back up after 6 days....[sigh]

Thanks folks!

Rich

Disclaimer: Rule #2: Double-tap.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Hey! I can’t be an old dog! You just taught me a new trick!

I’m sure I knew that once upon a time, but my brain’s basal synapses overruled its retention. (Guinness had nothing to do with it) Now I can admonish myself for the first 10 times I realize I’m doing it wrong again, until it sticks semi-permanently. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Phyllis!!!
Rich

It just goes to show that you can't always assume a user knows what they want when they ask for something. :slight_smile:

I'm glad I was able to teach YOU something, Rich!

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Rich J. bounce-rjesse@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by Rich J.
Hey! I can't be an old dog! You just taught me a new trick!

I'm sure I knew that once upon a time, but my brain's basal synapses overruled its retention. (Guinness had nothing to do with it) Now I can admonish myself for the first 10 times I realize I'm doing it wrong again, until it sticks semi-permanently. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Phyllis!!!
Rich

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Rich, I’ll log this to look at for next release, it’s too late to muck with it now. By default Home in Scintilla does do what you want, but because legacy Toad behavior differs I had to customize it. There’s also the Home (VC++) style command that is more like Toad’s legacy home behavior, but not exactly. So what we now have is 2 Home commands that do very similar things without one that acts like Home should natively. I think it can be improved once I have a few betas left to iron out problems.

Michael

Rich, this is done for next beta. There are two new options on the Editor|Behavior page in Options. The default is checked for both and they function as you see in 12.8/9 when checked. Un-checking causes Home/End to jump to start/end of line.

1. Home jumps to first char
  2. End jumps to last char

Working beautifully in 12.10.0.10!

Thanks much, Michael!