Issue connecting to local database with TOAD for Oracle V12.1

I am having a rather odd issue attempting to connect to a new local database I have set up on my PC (A copy of our development database).

I now have two ORACLE HOMEs - one for Devsuite10g, one for Oracle Database 11g. Both of these are 32 bit versions, although my PC is runnig 64 bit Windows 7.

I also have two versions of TOAD - version 10.0.0.41 and version 12.1.0.22. Vesrion 10 is installed in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10”, while Version 12 is outside the program files structure, in “C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1”. Both versions of TOAD are also 32 bit versions (as shown by using Help=>support Bundle).

Version 12 cannot access the local database, coming up with the message “ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified”, while Version 10 does succeed in accessing it. Neither version gives any choices in the “Connect Using” dropdown - version 12 is fixed on DevSuiteHome_forms10g, while version 10 is fixed on OraDb11g_Home1. Both versions do show both homes if you bring up the editor (and in the Support Bundle text). But V12 shows the registry keys as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE… whiel V10 shows them as SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\ORACLE…

The way they are acting would suggest that V12 and Oracle Developer are 64 bit while V10 and local database are 32 bit, but in fact all are 32 bit versions.

The TNSNAMES files are the same in both Oracle Homes, and both versions can access our main production and Development databases (which are 64 bit versions, but obviuosly it is the local client sooftware they are using), it is only the local database which cannot be accessed by V12.

Obviously, I would prefer to use V12 for everything, although just at the moment, I’m glad I hadn’t got round to removing the old version yet!

Has anybody got any ideas?

2 suggestions…

1. Upgrade your Oracle client. Be sure you have the latest patch of 10gR2

2. Try to install Toad 12 outside of Program Files(x86). The parenthesis in the file path have been known to cause issue with Toad and certain Oracle clients.

Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 5:52 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Issue connecting to local database with TOAD for Oracle V12.1

Issue connecting to local database with TOAD for Oracle V12.1

Thread created by alex.heney

I am having a rather odd issue attempting to connect to a new local database I have set up on my PC (A copy of our development database).

I now have two ORACLE HOMEs - one for Devsuite10g, one for Oracle Database 11g. Both of these are 32 bit versions, although my PC is runnig 64 bit Windows 7.

I also have two versions of TOAD - version 10.0.0.41 and version 12.1.0.22. Vesrion 10 is installed in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10”, while Version 12 is outside
the program files structure, in “C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1”. Both versions of TOAD are also 32 bit versions (as shown by using Help=>support Bundle).

Version 12 cannot access the local database, coming up with the message “ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified”, while Version 10 does succeed in accessing it. Neither
version gives any choices in the “Connect Using” dropdown - version 12 is fixed on DevSuiteHome_forms10g, while version 10 is fixed on OraDb11g_Home1. Both versions do show both homes if you bring up the editor (and in the Support Bundle text). But V12 shows
the registry keys as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE… whiel V10 shows them as SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\ORACLE…

The way they are acting would suggest that V12 and Oracle Developer are 64 bit while V10 and local database are 32 bit, but in fact all are 32 bit versions.

The TNSNAMES files are the same in both Oracle Homes, and both versions can access our main production and Development databases (which are 64 bit versions, but obviuosly it is the local client
sooftware they are using), it is only the local database which cannot be accessed by V12.

Obviously, I would prefer to use V12 for everything, although just at the moment, I’m glad I hadn’t got round to removing the old version yet!

Has anybody got any ideas?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Toad 12 is the one which is installed outside the X86, which is what makes it really confusing. If one was going to fail to connect, I would have expected it to be the one installed in the Program Files(x86) location, since I knew that can cause issues.

The 10g client is the Oracle Developer client (Forms & Reports 10g) and is version 10.1.2.3.0, which I believe is the last one there was.

Just a quick check here, when you say the “connect using” only gives you 1 choice, the dropdown is not disabled correct? If you have a connection already open
in Toad you will not be able to choose a different home.

You might want to also double check the top of your support bundles to be sure the correct bit-versions of Toad are installed. The support bundle the best
way to know for sure.

Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 10:08 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Issue connecting to local database with TOAD for Oracle V12.1

RE: Issue connecting to local database with TOAD for Oracle V12.1

Reply by alex.heney

Toad 12 is the one which is installed outside the X86, which is what makes it really confusing. If one was going to fail to connect, I would have expected it to be the one installed in the
Program Files(x86) location, since I knew that can cause issues.

The 10g client is the Oracle Developer client (Forms & Reports 10g) and is version 10.1.2.3.0, which I believe is the last one there was.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Ah. I hadn’t realised you could only use one choice within a single instance of TOAD. Yes I did mean it is disabled.

It does allow the selection of either if I close all connections first. But if I select the OraDb11g_home1 from TOAD Version 12, it then gives me an error when I try to connect to any database of “Can’t initialize OCI. Error -1”.

If I change to select the DevSuiteHome_forms10g home in TOAD V10, then it fails with the error “ORA-12154: TNS: Could not resolve the connect identifier specified”

It really is acting as if there is a mis-match between 32/64 bit, even though both are definitely 32 bit.

The first bit of the support bundle for my V12 TOAD is:

APPLICATION INFORMATION - FULL VERSION (32-bit)

Support Bundle for Toad for Oracle 12.1.0.22

This copy of Toad for Oracle registered to BUY AS YOU VIEW LTD

Bundle: Add-Ons: Toad for Oracle Base (32-bit)

Toad for Oracle Executable Location : C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\Toad.exe

User Profile Directory : C:\Users\alex.heney\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.1\

Knowledge Xpert DLL Location : C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\Revbase.dll

Knowledge Xpert Version : 5.6.0.6

QSEServer DLL Location : C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\qse.dll

QSEServer Version : 12.1.0.22

QP5 DLL Location : C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\QP5.dll

QP5 Version : 5.256.13226.35510

QP5CA DLL Location : C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\QP5CA.dll

QP5CA Version : 5.256.13226.35660

TOAD Policy Location : C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\Toad.pdl

And for Version 10 is:

APPLICATION INFORMATION - FULL VERSION

Support Bundle for Toad for Oracle 10.0.0.41

Bundle: Toad for Oracle Base Add-Ons:

Local Installation (non-network installation)

Toad for Oracle Executable Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\Toad.exe

User Profile Directory : C:\Users\alex.heney\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\10.0\

Knowledge Xpert DLL Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\Revbase.dll

Formatter Plus DLL Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\FmtPlus.dll

Formatter Plus Version : 4.8.8.4

SPServer DLL Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\spserver.dll

SPServer Version : 5.2.2.10

QSEServer DLL Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\qse.dll

QSEServer Version : 1.2.1.7

QP5 DLL Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\QP5.dll

QP5 Version : 5.136.908.31019

TOAD Policy Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\Toad.pdl

Can't initialize OCI. Error -1

Sometimes this is because you don't have the MS VC++ redistributable installed. Install it from here.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555
. Since you are using the 32-bit client install the 32-bit redistributable. I think it's the 2010 one you need, but if that doesn't work try grabbing the 2008 redistributable.

On 10/06/2014 10:53 AM, alex.heney wrote:

RE: Issue connecting to local database with TOAD for Oracle V12.1

Reply by alex.heney
Ah. I hadn't realised you could only use one choice within a single instance of TOAD. Yes I did mean it is disabled.

It does allow the selection of either if I close all connections first. But if I select the OraDb11g_home1 from TOAD Version 12, it then gives me an error when I try to connect to any database of "Can't initialize OCI. Error -1".

If I change to select the DevSuiteHome_forms10g home in TOAD V10, then it fails with the error "ORA-12154: TNS: Could not resolve the connect identifier specified"

It really is acting as if there is a mis-match between 32/64 bit, even though both are definitely 32 bit.

The first bit of the support bundle for my V12 TOAD is:

APPLICATION INFORMATION - FULL VERSION (32-bit)

Support Bundle for Toad for Oracle 12.1.0.22

Bundle: Add-Ons: Toad for Oracle Base (32-bit)

Toad for Oracle Executable Location : C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\Toad.exe

User Profile Directory : C:\Users\alex.heney\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.1\

Knowledge Xpert DLL Location : C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\Revbase.dll

QSEServer DLL Location : C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\qse.dll

QSEServer Version : 12.1.0.22

QP5 DLL Location : C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\QP5.dll

QP5 Version : 5.256.13226.35510

QP5CA DLL Location : C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\QP5CA.dll

QP5CA Version : 5.256.13226.35660

TOAD Policy Location : C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\Toad.pdl

And for Version 10 is:

APPLICATION INFORMATION - FULL VERSION

Support Bundle for Toad for Oracle 10.0.0.41

Bundle: Toad for Oracle Base Add-Ons:

Local Installation (non-network installation)

Toad for Oracle Executable Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\Toad.exe

User Profile Directory : C:\Users\alex.heney\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\10.0\

Knowledge Xpert DLL Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\Revbase.dll

Formatter Plus DLL Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\FmtPlus.dll

Formatter Plus Version : 4.8.8.4

SPServer DLL Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\spserver.dll

SPServer Version : 5.2.2.10

QSEServer DLL Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\qse.dll

QSEServer Version : 1.2.1.7

QP5 DLL Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\QP5.dll

QP5 Version : 5.136.908.31019

TOAD Policy Location : C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 10\Toad.pdl

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks, but I already have a later version of that (complete Visual Studio 10.0 and 9.0 installations in Program Files (x86)), so it won’t let me install it.

OK.

I seem to have finally solved it.

Set environment variables ORACLE_HOSTNAME and ORACLE_UNQNAME and TNS_ADMIN at system level, and then tried again.

This now gave "ORA-12640: Authentication adapter initialization failed " so set SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE) in sqlnet.ora, and finally able to log in to local database from TOAD Version 12!

mine 5c thought.

Set environment variables ORACLE_HOSTNAME

It will use the hostname from Windows hosts file.. It doesn't matter weather you set ORACLE_HOSTNAME parameter or not..

so set SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)

I would prefer:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

brg

Damir

Set environment variables ORACLE_HOSTNAME

It will use the hostname from Windows hosts file.. It doesn't matter weather you set >ORACLE_HOSTNAME parameter or not..

Maybe.

But all that tells it is to direct "localhost" (or anything else you specify) to 127.0.0.1, it doesn't tell Oracle to use "localhost".

And anyhow, that wasn't working. (And I had tried all versions of it in tnsnames.ora anuhow - 127.0.0.1, 'localhost' and 'ORADEV1' (my machine name).

so set SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)

I would prefer:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

You might prefer it. But that didn't work. It was what it was set to when I got the ORA-12640 error. The names directory path is stil set like that, it was only the authentication service line I changed.

12.6 introduced additional error message reporting for the Can’t Initialize OCI error. You could download the freeware and try your connection to see what additional error messages there are, if any. www.toadworld.com/…/default.aspx