more on application variables...

More on application variables… that I think is one of the crucial parts of the whole product… for boosting productivity.

Is good to have the UniqueNumber (and understand usefulness) but I think that much more useful should be a “RelativeUniqueNumber”… I explain what I mean:

my rules says that my indexes have names like… tablename_ix_00, tablename_ix_01, tablename_ix_02… where the last number is unique but amongst the indexes of the table, not in an absolute way…

so in my mind RelativeUniqueNumber should…

a) find the last used number inside the context is working in

b) add 1

c) put resulting number where appropriate

Ok, we could add something like :3 indicating a min length of 3 with leading zeros, but I think is too much and we could live without :slight_smile:

Hello Roberto,

These two situations can be solved by creating a custom property which can then be used as an application variable (similar to your another post). We actually plan to implement a way for users to create their own custom properties more easily. If I were you, I would wait for this feature. Or at least wait until the article about creating your own custom properties (the “hard” way) comes out.

Regards,

Lukas

Dear Lukas,

you are somehow reading in my mind.

In fact, my idea was, following this video, toadworld.s3.amazonaws.com/…/TDM31_Customization.htm adding a custom property to entity, “table prefix”, where I can put my own 5-letters prefix of entity, and then customize the entity form accordingly with the video.

What was missing, at that point, was in “attributes” tab of the added property, a flag, call it “application variable”, that allows the brand new property to appear in application variables list… Then, what maybe is still missing, is have also control of the “supported properties” portion of application variables, IE have control when TDM has to resolve the application variables…

That was my original idea of request, but I thinked was maybe “too much”… so I ended up with the two posts you have seen…

I will wait for the feature… Actually I have only to develop a fairy simple model, so I don’t have any problem to use TDM as it is right now (and all in all I am only at a “student” level with the tool right now). But I am trying to look also a little bit further, when I will (hopefully) have to develop much more complex models… and that’s when any automation/facility can save a lot of time (and avoid mistakes)…

Thanks for your time and interest…