SPOOL output in TOAD does not pass along linefeeds.

The problem is when I SPOOL in TOAD, the line feeds that are in the text field are missing in the output and those lines run together. It’s like TOAD does not pass along the linefeeds. Anyone know why? Is it some option I can set in TOAD?

The starting point is that I have a table, I write lines of text to it. The text field lines are written with embedded carriage returns. I have to use SPOOL, can’t use UTL_FILE. I have to use this methodology.

Example of what’s in a field (when I open in Toad’s grid pop up editor) This is one row (not a real expense, wish it were!):

Meals with guest DEC 01, 2012 Personal Payment 110000-32403-7022-444
Amount: $987.00
Description: Expense description. LOS ANGELES (AP) Awards

It also looks like that when I SPOOL from a PL/SQL command line or shell. That’s good. Output from TOAD different (runs together with no linefeeds) that’s bad.

The problem is when I run the same SQL and spool in TOAD, the line feeds are missing and those three lines run together. It’s like TOAD does not pass along the linefeeds. Anyone know why? What I can set in TOAD?

It is being written to that table like this: var1 || CHR (13) || CHR (10) || var2 || CHR (13) || CHR (10) var 3 var2 || CHR (13) || CHR (10)

Again, it works fine if I run in UNIX from SQLPLUS. It makes a nicely formatted text file.