Toad Data Point Hub Data Cleanup

Hi!

The disk on the virtual machine I am running TDP on is getting full.
I notice that Tod Data Point Hub Data\data is filling up 26GB of data and there are a lot of folders with cryptic names here. Are these temporary folders which can be deleted?
Other sugestions for cleanup?

Arne

Tod Data Point Hub Data\data is for the embedded MySQL - TDP's local storage.
Do you have many local data in your TDP local storage ? you can see what's in your local storage by connecting to the local storage in your TDP.

And can you send me the screen shot of the file/folder detail for the "data" folder? I want to confirm if it is a normal case, especially for the ibdata/ib_logfile0/ib_lobfile1
vincent.hu@quest.com

Yes, I have a lot of data in TDP local storage and will have to do some truncate tables there to clean up (which is the best solution I guess).
You can see the databaselist here:
Here is the long list of tables in the data folder:

I can't find a folder called ibdata?
I find a log file called ib_logfile1 in the TDP folder with size 49Mb.
There is also a ibdata1 file with size 406Mb and some other big files:

The ibdata1 is big but it makes sense here, as there are so many objects in this MySQL , it is the system table space of MySQL.
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/innodb-system-tablespace.html

The only way to free some space is to drop/delete some tables/databases in this local storage.
Do you still need to keep all these databases and tables in this local storage ?

Yes, I will look through and see what tables I can truncate/delete.
Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

You CANNOT delete these big files and folder directly in the file system, that would make the local storage NOT work properly.
You should delete/drop them in TDP 's local storage window.

Yes, I understand that. Thanks!

Hi arne-christian,
TDP would generate some essential files in hub data directory when you do cross query, some of them are temporary ones but may not dropped normally, those will take up your disk space.

Deleting them manually are not safe and may cause error, I would suggest you re-generate the whole toad data point hub data and copy local storage files to the new folder, it should not be complicated. please do as follows:

1. use TDP to connect to your local storage, and then get a list of all databases, remember their names.(you can remember them by screenshot?, just like the following screenshot)

2. close TDP , then go to folder: %localappdata%\Quest Software, and find the folder "Toad Data Point Hub Data", CUT-COPY(move it, not copy it) it to other disk, note it's just for backup.

3. start TDP, and connect to local storage, then you'll find a new "Toad Data Point Hub Data" folder is generated under %localappdata%\Quest Software.

4. now we just need to copy some folders to the new generated folder.
    4.1) go to the "Toad Data Point Hub Data" backup folder, step into folder "data", then you'll find many folder named after local storage databases, find them and then copy them into the new generated "Toad Data Point Hub Data\data" folder.
    4.2) copy the folder called "_TOADLS" as well, cover the old ones.

5. go to TDP object explorer, right click on the blank area, select "refresh all".

then you'll find your databases and tables are shown again.

By the way, after that if you still find you need to shrink folder, you can either delete the table by TDP or compress some big tables.
all the local storage tables are MYISAM engine, table data is recorded in the corresponding MYD file. According to this article: https://blog-en.openalfa.com/how-to-compress-myisam-tables-in-mysql, you can compress table by this way:
open command prompt, execute following 3 command lines one by one:

cd C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad Data Point 5.1\DataHub\bin

myisampack "C:\Users<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Quest Software\Toad Data Point Hub Data\data<your database>\your_big_table.MYI"

myisamchk -rq --sort-index --analyze "C:\Users<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Quest Software\Toad Data Point Hub Data\data<your database>\your_big_table.MYI"

then you'll find your_big_table.MYD becomes smaller.
I did a test, my big table MYD file could be compressed to nearly 400M from 2G.

note the drawback of compressing is: the table becomes read-only, which means you can't update this table after compressed.

1 Like