Toad editor stuck when executing ;;;

What is toad trying to execute when I try to execute empty SQL.

When I execute ;, it gives error, with ;; also it gives error but with ;;; editor gets stuck, so what is trying to execute?

The better question… What are YOU trying to execute!? :wink:

Toad will react to invalid char error when a trailing semicolon exists and attempt to react accordingly. The semicolon is necessary for the editor and parser to function properly, but when we send to Oracle we must strip it. I can’t get Toad to hang. I have just a semicolon in the editor and I select it and execute with F9. I just get the expected error, nothing more. What version of Toad are you on and how are you executing?

I know it is not a valid SQL. But it is a valid problem.

Toad editor must not try to execute anything as there is no SQL. SQL plus gives a proper error. So this goes to error handling in Toad.

If my mistake a user puts 3 semicolons at the end of SQL statement, the session will get stuck. I am not sure what harm it will do to Oracle DB.

I was using ctrl+. I am using version 10.6.1.3.

FYI - ;;;; (four semicolons) hangs the select +F9.

The issue has most likely been resolved somewhere over the last ten releases since that version was put out. I recommend you try a newer version and let us know if you still see the issue as we can't reproduce it here with the current version.

Greg

On Aug 16, 2016, at 3:59 PM, kalicharan.yadav bounce-kalicharanyadav@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Toad editor stuck when executing ;;;

Reply by kalicharan.yadav
I know it is not a valid SQL. But it is a valid problem.

Toad editor must not try to execute anything as there is no SQL. SQL plus gives a proper error. So this goes to error handling in Toad.

If my mistake a user puts 3 semicolons at the end of SQL statement, the session will get stuck. I am not sure what harm it will do to Oracle DB.

I was using ctrl+. I am using version 10.6.1.3.

FYI - ;;;; (four semicolons) hangs the select +F9.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle Forum
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I was just joking, but in all seriousness your version of Toad is ridiculously old and unsupported. I don’t have 10.6 installed to test, but Toad 12.9 does not hang doing the following.

Using CTRL+Enter to execute… select * from user_tables;;;

Selecting 4 semicolons and pressing F9.