Changing Child / and/or parent Entities in Relationships

Hi,

I have created a large number of relationships to a table and have realised that I need to change the parent of all of these relationships to another table.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a way to manually go through each relationship and change the parent (The only way that I’ve found to do this to date is to delete and recreate the relationship)

2. Is there a way to do a batch update of the relationships.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Greg

Hi,

yes, you can change parent in your workspace. You can use drag&drop to change parent entity.

Click any of the relationships and move your mouse cursor over the anchor point near your current parent entity. Mouse cursor changes to arrow. Click the anchor point, keep your mouse button pressed, move your mouse curson over your new parent entity and release the button.

To your second question: yes, it is possible to change this via scripting. Now it depends on what would be faster. Doing the change manually or try to write a one-purpose script that will change all/selected relationships to another entity.

Let me know if the drag&drop solution would be sufficient for you. If not, I will help you with the script.

Regards,

Vaclav

Hi guys,

I’m actually trying to attempt a similar task. I’m trying to update description fields for attributes. Say I change the description on an attribute which is the primary key of an entity. I’d like to apply that change to the attributes of the child entities. I’ve been looking in the reference documentation and can’t seem to find an obvoius answer. I have over 200 entites so doing this by hand every time I make a change is a bit frustrating. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Grant

Hi Grant,

this is a different request, please start a new thread in case the topic changes. Thank you. Re solution: descriptions belong to attributes in given entity, that means description should not be synchronized with key attributes in parent. But if you really want to keep the descriptions synchronized, we can write a small macro that will copy descriptions from key attributes from parent entities to attributes in child entities. I only want to ask you for patience, I will be able to look at it next week (Tuesday).

Regads,

Vaclav

Hi Grant,

my colleague Mario prepared a script fo you.
At the following page you can find a link to package that does what you need:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?categoryID=34&externalID=4652

Regards,

Vaclav