Column Order on Model Merge

Hi,

I expected new columns that were merged into a table to be added to the end of the column list.
I have a merge (which was done a while ago) where the column has been moving up the list.

I think it would have been RE’d into a temp model (it is the last column in our dev db).
This would have been merged to a work branch (were it is next to last attribute)
and then finally to the main branch for delivery, where it is the second to last attribute.
Unfortunately this broke our data migration scripts :slight_smile:

I have been unable to reproduce this so far (it may have been resolved) AND we should have been more vigilant BUT could you check it out?

Regards
Malcolm

Hello Malcolm,

I expected new columns that were merged into a table to be added to the end of the column list. I have a merge (which was done a while ago) where the column has been moving up the list.

We managed to simulate the problem. It is a bug. We will fix it. CR # 53 674.

Thanks very much for your bug notification!

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Hi,

How do I fix my model so that the new attribute is last?
I can’t see where to specify the order.

Regards
Malcolm

Hello Malcom,

I’m afraid, you will have to change the order manually - edit the entity, Attributes tab, select the attribute and use the green arrows to change the order.

It is shown in the following movie (in its second part):
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=2057&categoryID=158

If you have any questions, please write me back. Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka

Hi Vladka,

We’re using 3.1.7.25
I didn’t have any arrows

This seemed to be because the dialog was sorting the attributes. I finally discovered that clicking the box to the left of “Key” removed the sort. The green arrows then came back when I clicked on an attribute.

I’m surprised the sort is retained, even after the model is closed/reopened.

Kind regards
Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

I see. Since the version you are using, some changes have been made per customers' request. Now the sorting should be clear.

Generally, you can sort the attributes:

1. manually using the green arrows at the bottom of the form. The order you will set here will be applied in particular entity box in the Designer.

2. automatically by clicking the appropriate column name - e.g. click the 'Name' column to sort attributes alphabetically.

This function offers you just a different view on the attributes in the Entity Properties form. It does not influence order of attributes in entity box in the Designer.

If you order attributes this way, the green arrows become disabled and you cannot manually change order of attributes. To enable the arrows again, click the header of the first column, select an attribute and you will see the green arrows enabled again. - This is how it works in the version you use. You managed to do it without this info. :wink:

In current version, the green arrows are enabled all the time and pnly a confirmation message appears.

I'm surprised the sort is retained, even after the model is closed/reopened.

What do you mean? Once you reorder the attributes via the green arrows and confirm Apply or OK, the order will change and remains preserved.

Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka

Hi Vladka,

What do you mean?
I am refering to the display order of the attributes (etc) in the dialog NOT the natural order of the columns in the table.
In most of the other tools we use the display order is not permanently stored, for example in TOAD for Oracle, in the Schema Browser if I select a table and order its columns alphabetically (by clicking on the header) the order is used for any other tables I select until I close the connection.
In TDM the entity attributes remain in the selected display order until I choose to change the display order (even after closing/reopening TDM).
This was not the behaviour I was expecting.

Hope that clarifies what I meant.

Kind regards
Malcolm

Malcolm,

Thanks. Now it is clear. We will discuss this behavior in our team. CR # 53 907.

Thanks for raising this issue!

Regards,

Vladka

Hi Malcolm,

Our developers discussed the behaviour. Our conclusion is: we will not change the behavior. TDM remembers the last settings and changes made in the dialog. If you want to sort the attributes as they are in WS again (e.g. after you display them by caption in the dialog), you will have to click the header of the first column. So, a click is necessary.

CR # 53 907 - status No Modification Required.

Thank you for understanding it.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team