debugging watch value size

Hello,

While debugging a program I setup watches for a few variables and one of them builds a dynamic sql.  What is the max size of the value so it is displayed instead of <Value Too Large> message?

Thanks

Suresh
VTL.png

Usually around 4k characters. This is a limit in the Oracle DBMS_DEBUG package but it’s not a fixed value nor is it documented anywhere. What is actually
returned when we ask Oracle for the watch value is an undocumented error code and an empty value. When we see this, we substitute so you at least have an idea why nothing is displayed.

Hope that helps.

Greg

From: ServiceAccount_Toad [mailto:bounce-ServiceAccount_Toad@toadworld.com]

Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:48 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] debugging watch value size

debugging watch value size

Thread created by ServiceAccount_Toad

Hello,

While debugging a program I setup watches for a few variables and one of them builds a dynamic sql.  What is the max size of the value so it is displayed

instead of message?

Thanks

Suresh

Attachments:

VTL.png

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks for your reply Gregory. The size of the value from the dbms_output is 1089 bytes. When I debug the same program in SQL Developer I do see the entire string. It doesn’t look good on TOAD not being able to display when a free tool can. Is there any way that this value can be displayed.

Unfortunately no. SQL Developer uses an entirely different mechanism (JDWP) for their debugging engine. We are using the DEBMS_DEBUG engine provided by Oracle
and we are currently stuck with its limitations.

Greg

Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 9:05 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] debugging watch value size

RE: debugging watch value size

Reply by ssikharam

Thanks for your reply Gregory. The size of the value from the dbms_output is 1089 bytes. When I debug the same program in SQL Developer I do see the entire string. It doesn’t look good on
TOAD not being able to display when a free tool can. Is there any way that this value can be displayed.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks Gregory. Appreciate your quick responses. My concern is I advocated for TOAD and in this particular regard I have to acknowledge the differences and accept the limitations on TOAD side compared to a free tool.