Enhancement on Stored Procedure Properties windows

Hi

Just played around the stored procedure properties window. I would be grateful, if it provide an SQL Preview tab in Stored Procedure Properties, as the user can then just use the SQL Preview script to create the stored procedure.

Another that would be good is at the moment we cannot use some function like undo/find/replace on the SQL tab on “Stored Procedure Properties” windows. I think it would be helpful to have that kind of function on the SQL tab. I think it would to good to have though feature in Notes, Procedure Comment… etc All the tab/ windows that allow user to enter/edit text. E.g. sometime user may want to do a bulk replace to specific text or something. Another thing I would like to talk about is, (This apply to all the properties window) At the moment if you accidently changed something, but you do not want to save it, and what you want to do is to use the drop down list at the top of the properties windows, to modify something else on the other entity/attribute or something else. (At the moment the drop down list will be grey out, as you have modified some of the field so you have to either undo all the changes and click on apply then use the drop down list to navigate to the other entity/attribute/other stuff OR you need to click “Cancel” to cancel all the changes you made and then open up the properties windows again and use the drop down list to find the stuff that you want to change. I think it would be better not to grey out the drop down list, instead it will prompt to ask if you want to save the changes or not when you click on the drop down list (this message only display if the apply button is active or something which mean it detected you have changed something but have to apply the changes. I think this could resolve the issue on when you accidently changed something you do not want to change, you have to undo and click on Apply or click on cancel and load up the properties windows again.

I am wondering if it is possible to make Procedure visible on the workspace? so that we do not need to go to the Physical Model Explorer to modify the Procedure.

Would it be possible to convert the stored procedure from one database to the other? E.g. MSSQL to MySQL?

Please let me know if you want me to explain more.

Many thanks

Chi

Hello Chi,

provide an SQL Preview tab in Stored Procedure Properties, as the user can then just use the SQL Preview script to create the stored procedure.

Thanks for your suggestion. CR # 36 464.

undo/find/replace on the SQL tab on "Stored Procedure Properties" windows. I think it would be helpful to have that kind of function on the SQL tab. I think it would to good to have though feature in Notes, Procedure Comment... etc All the tab/ windows that allow user to enter/edit text.

Thanks again. CR # 36 466.

At the moment the drop down list will be grey out, as you have modified some of the field...
Yes, this is how TDM 3 behaves. It's because of the modeless dialogs in TDM 3.
Until you confirm the changes, the object navigator box is disabled as you cannot quit an item without saying - YES, I want the changes to be applied, OR NO. There are modeless dialogs in TDM 3, so e.g. the change in attribute will be immediately applied in Entity Properties form, Workspace, Model Explorer...

..so you have to either undo all the changes and click on apply then use the drop down list to navigate to the other entity/attribute/other stuff...
Yes, to activate the Undo for the change you made, you need to confirm the change first. So, if you select a wrong data type for an attribute, you need to click Apply and then Undo to undo this step (OR change it back manually).
When you confirm the change then, you select another attribute to edit from the Object navigator box.

..OR you need to click "Cancel" to cancel all the changes you made and then open up the properties windows again and use the drop down list to find the stuff that you want to change.
Yes, this is how it works. If you decide to disregard the changes, you click Cancel. The Properties dialog will close.

However, you can:

• select another item for edit very easily:
  • just double-click the item in Model Explorer,
  • edit the item from appropriate dialog (see Model menu | Entities, Relationships...) - feel free to dock the dialog on AW to your model and have it available when you need it.
  • use Inplace Editor.
  • open several Properties dialogs at the same time, compare the items, switch between the dialogs...

I think it would be better not to grey out the drop down list, instead it will prompt to ask if you want to save the changes or not when you click on the drop down list (this message only display if the apply button is active or something which mean it detected you have changed something but have to apply the changes.

We will consider your request. CR # 36 506.

I am wondering if it is possible to make Procedure visible on the workspace? so that we do not need to go to the Physical Model Explorer to modify the Procedure.

Well, theoretically it would be possible for all objects. You write about procedures, another user might require another object. Finally, the WS might look very messy.
If you often work with procedures and do not like Model Explorer, feel free to open the Procedures dialog (Model menu), and dock it on AW to your model. You can access procedures from this dialog and sort them. You can simply close it when you don't need it.

Would it be possible to convert the stored procedure from one database to the other? E.g. MSSQL to MySQL?

Yes, it is possible. Feel free to check out the Convertor.
The SQL of procedure will be commented in the converted model - not to be executable.

If you have any questions, please write me back.

Regards,

Vladka & TDM Team