Future of SQL Navigator

Dear Quest Team,

the latest official SQL Navigator version 7.6 contains a bug which makes it difficult to work with the integrated team coding in combination with Azure Dev Ovs Server (formerly known as TFS).

This bug has been fixed with V7.7 beta last year. But the monthly release of this beta version has stopped in Okt. 2020.

We still would like to wait for a final release of V7.7 (instead of switching back to a version < 7.3 which did not contain this team coding bug).
But we are uncertain if the developement of SQLNav still is going on as there are no further beta versions and there is no official response in the beta thread.

So kindly would any official Quest team member give a short feedback if it is still worth to wait for a final release of V7.7 ?

Thank you and best regards,
Martin

5 Likes

Hi,
On my inquiry to this subject, I received this mail on 08.02.2021:

Hello Andre,
This is what I received from the product manager:
“SQL Navigator is a mature product that is actively maintained—it is certainly not dead. We have paused delivery for a short period of time, and while we do not ever commit particular release dates or features, I can say that we expect to deliver a new release this summer.
Is there a specific feature you were looking for in an upcoming release?”
Please contact me and let me know.
Thank you,
Ondrej Zizka
Quest
support.quest.com

PS: And just by the way: My company just paid the maintenance fees again....

1 Like

Thank you for this update.

At least there was hope in Pandoras box! :expressionless:

False hope? Flatline on the monitors...

Any news on this front? The "short period of time" is over, and so is summer (soon).

this endless summer :unamused::zzz:

Just an FYI that we are planning a new release of SQL Nav to come out in March of 2021. Let us know if you have any issue you would like us to address and we will see if we can get it in.

1 Like

Thank you, Julie! Good news, even if I think it will be in March of 2022. :wink:

If the new release is based on the Beta 7.7 then my main issue (check-in issues with TFS/AzureDevOps) will be solved and I'm happy.
Please note, that only in the Beta V 7.7 while selecting "check In all" and unchecking some outstanding changes in the following dialog, still ALL changes were checked in. (Might already be solved as I reported this some times ago).

Thanks,
Woolve

Hi @Julie_Hyman

Here we are in March 2022 and I still can't find any sort of indication of a new version of SQL Navigator. Is there any change of a new version any time soon?

Thanks,
Adrian

2 Likes

Hi @Julie_Hyman ,

any new release date scheduled?

Thanks,
Woolve

Hi All - Unfortunately we have had a push in the SQL Nav release schedule and I don't have a new date yet. I am looking into it and will get back to you soon.

Hi @Julie_Hyman ,

any chance getting this release in the next months?

Thx, Woolve

Just imagine that our major problem was fixed with V7.7 beta in Oct. 2020 (!!) and yet there still is no fix available or at least any hope of getting this fix soon! :slightly_frowning_face:

Another 2 months have passed without Quest announcing anything new on this product. However, Quest is always keen to charge for new maintenance renewals for a couple of years. I wonder why I should pay for them - what good is the renewal if the development of the product seems to have stopped altogether?

1 Like

Product direction seems fairly obvious when there are other forum posts such as this - [SQL Navigator vs. Toad] Who will win? Watch live on Dec. 14

Including " * UI settings that mimic SQL Navigator, the same right-click functions or hotkeys and easy UI customization for developers"

With the comment of "If you are a SQL Nav user - tell us what you like about SQL Nav (especially if you like that feature more than what Toad offers)"

Seem like a not so subtle hint of SQL Nav users should be looking at Toad instead.

We made the transition to Toad for Oracle. Just pushed it out to all of our developers last week. We seem to be able to get everything done that we have in the past with SQL Nav. It will take some getting used to but, I believe with how customizable Toad is most users will feel it as a mild inconvenience.

I watched the live meeting of "Toad vs SQLNav" as @shmung mentioned above. Seemed to me like a marketing webcast for SQL Nav users to convince them to switch to toad. Even if they (Quest) mentioned at the end that there will be future updates ob SQL Nav. I now have my doubts.

We still are quite happy in our company using the SQL Navigator. So there is no need to buy another (quite) similar product.
Only issue is a (teamcoding) bug in the latest productive version (7.6) which already had been solved in the latest Beta of 7.7 (now expired) a very long time ago (!!!) but this version never has been released.
Version 7.6 restructured our teamcoding tables so there is no way back to the version 7.3 (without the mentioned bug). It's a shame.

If we would get this latest version, everything would be fine.
Hope 'n pray! :woozy_face:

It seems very unlikely that there will be any further development (new versions). For more than two years nothing happened, the developers were fired I heard...
I think Quest speculates that at some point we will give up exasperated, stop paying the maintenance fees and then they can finally announce the death of SQL Navigator.
A lousy game...

2 Likes

Oh, i missed that there are further news. Good news, maybe. Believe it when it's released.
But here is the announcement of a coming new version...

Announcing the upcoming SQL Navigator 2023 release - SQL Navigator - Toad World® Forums